Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Solo In Rome - Hotel or Apartment? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-in-rome-hotel-or-apartment-485640/)

ecat Nov 11th, 2004 05:10 PM

Solo In Rome - Hotel or Apartment?

Hi there,

I'm going back to Rome in Feb. for 11 nights, two of which will be spent in Florence. I need to talk this out because I'm driving myself crazy. Looking for views & input here.

Ultimately I'll make up my own mind and let you know my choice of course :)
Right now though I'm looking for some views on solo travel that I can chew on.

I'm very excited about my trip I don't know why I'm being so weird about it this time. I've traveled to Rome on my own before and stayed in an apartment which was great and this time I am also trying to save a little money and stay in a different area too, closer to major bus routes or metro so I can get around (I usually stay by Navona or Campo Dei Fiori).

All my choices are fairly close in price, one big advantage hotel wise is that I could check out and re-check in when I come back from Florence.

Since I'm going alone this time my thoughts are I might feel lonelier in a hotel room but being in a hotel could actually be a benefit. I don't want to get stir crazy being in just one room.

Here's the hotel that I have already booked: http://www.hotelsancarloroma.com

Apartment Choices:

Pantheon: http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_pastini.html

Spanish Steps: http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_croce.html

Trevi: http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_lavatore.html

I apprectiate your thoughts,

Eileen

Eloise Nov 11th, 2004 05:39 PM

Sorry, but I'll start with a practical question. Have you checked that the apartments can be rented for 11 nights?

An apartment gives you more space, lets you make your own breakfast, keep wine and things like cold cuts and cheese in a fridge for the times you don't want to go out again in the evening, possibly lets you know some of the local shopkeepers a bit better, might make you feel more a part of the "neighborhood." But you've stayed in apartments before, so you probably know all this already.

The only advantage that I can see a hotel offering is the possibility to meet people in the breakfast room whom you might join for part of a day or for a meal. I personally do not chat with people in breakfast rooms; only you can tell if you do or not. And the hotel makes your bed and changes your towels, which is an advantage, I suppose.

My choice (without having looked at the Web sites) would definitely be the apartment near the Pantheon, for location and variety of restaurants and cafes in the area. And almost every bus in Rome goes through Largo di Torre Argentina, which is only a short walk away. The Spanish Steps area just offers too little for me in the way of restaurant choice, etc. I have to admit I don't know the Trevi area very well.

Finally, I think I remember one or two threads about the Pastini apartment. You might want to put <Pastini Rome> into the search box and see what it brings up. You might also check on www.slowtrav.com.

Whatever you decide, I am green with envy -- I'd love to spend 11 days in Italy in February! But I'll conquer my envy suffciently to wish you a great stay in Rome.

ecat Nov 11th, 2004 05:53 PM

Eloise thanks,

One apartment for sure is free - the Trevi one and NYCFS gave a good review of it. Will know tomorrow about the other two. I saw the reviews on Pastini I've done alot of research on the apartments.

I've actually only stayed in a hotel once in Rome and this was only because we missed our flight the other times have all been apartments - I think I just figured out why I'm being so strange, a hotel might mean a change in my ways - yikes!

All are pretty close in area really as well as the hotel.

massagediva Nov 11th, 2004 06:00 PM

I'll be solo in Rome for the month of February,so maybe we can have a glass of wine together.After conducting a great deal of research. I've rented an apartment in Trastevere.

LoveItaly Nov 11th, 2004 06:00 PM

ecat, my thoughts, but sure doesn't mean it would work for you.

I LOVE hotels. Love not having to make the bed, clean the bathroom etc. etc.
That sure makes me sound lazy doesn't it? ;;)

I don't know you, don't know your likes and dislikes etc. Think unless a friend who knew you well could respond it would be all guess work.

One thought, if you, while on your own last time, stayed in an apartment would you like to try a hotel this time, just to see what the difference is for you

Whatever you decide many wishes for a beautiful trip.

Grasshopper Nov 11th, 2004 07:19 PM

I stayed a week in Rome in April and rented an apartment through sleepinitaly. It was great! Mine was on Governa Vecchia, very small, but great location. I think of the ones you listed, I would choose near the Pantheon. Alternately, something near Piazza Navona or Campo dei Fiori would be my choice.

It was so much fun feeling like I lived there.

ecat Nov 11th, 2004 09:03 PM

massagediva - Sounds great I'd love to meet for a drink, caffe, meal or walk around - will you be checking your e-mail while in Rome? I almost went with a couple apartments in Trastevere because I do like it there too.

LoveItaly - Good pros towards hotels. I never really clean the apartments I'm staying in like I do at home so that's my bonus - that make ME sound like I'm a lazy slob ;)

Grasshopper - I understand, I too like that feeling of living there which is why I've rented so many times.

I'll know a bit more tomorrow about the apartment choices and will really try to decide this weekend.

Thanks all - Eileen

suze Nov 12th, 2004 08:15 AM

Eileen, I often travel solo and for me have found I feel more lonely staying in an apartment (and I live alone at home so don't know what that's about!).

I love staying in hotels. Though I don't chat with folks at breakfast or try to hook up with others, I like having people around. Even getting to know the front desk staff and the maids makes me feel comfortable. Be able to sit in the lobby on my comings and goings. Since you know Rome this isn't important for your situation, but another advantage is in a new place I definitely count on the front desk to help me with information, directions, local advice, phone calls, etc.

LoveItaly Nov 12th, 2004 11:05 AM

suze, that is an interesting comment because I live alone too and am never lonely. But when I travel, even when I don't need any info from anyone etc. I always want a hotel room. But, as I said in another post, I love hotels.

Grasshopper Nov 12th, 2004 11:10 AM

ecat, I love that Pantheon apartment! In fact, I'm going to bookmark it for future reference. My apartment was on the 5th floor, no lift.

SeaUrchin Nov 12th, 2004 11:45 AM

I love to build a little "nest" for myself in an apartment when I travel solo. I like the fact that no maid will come rustling through my things so I can leave them out along with books and pictures.

I can leave my glass of wine where I want and can leave cookies on the nightstand. I can kick my shoes into the air and let them fall where they will. I think an apartment gives me more freedom.

ecat Nov 12th, 2004 11:57 AM

Ok - I made up my mind! I'm going to try something new and stay at the hotel.

Hotel San Carlo has gotten really good reviews, I want a change in area to explore, plus having clean towels daily doesn't hurt.

If I hate it which I highly doubt I will, I'll call Sleep In Italy or Real Rome when I get there and see what they have open.

I'm fine on my own I am social when I want and keep to myself when I want. There is just something comforting to me about being in an apartment, making coffee and having a couch to curl up on that feels comforting.

There are just so many choices I wish I could try these all out.

Thanks for your help and letting me be obsessive.

Eileen

LoveItaly Nov 12th, 2004 12:09 PM

Eileen, your comment about so many choices made me smile because it is true. Espcially in bella Italia!!

Do have a beautiful trip. It will be interesting how you enjoy the hotel.
Enjoy every moment of your trip, know you will