Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Solo Female Traveller - One Week European Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-female-traveller-one-week-european-itinerary-1673597/)

cait_mags Nov 5th, 2019 10:21 AM

Solo Female Traveller - One Week European Itinerary

I will be traveling to Europe in the first two weeks of June. Week 1 will be for work in the UK however since I’ll already be over there, I figured I’d use week 2 to go and explore somewhere else in Europe.

To preface, I am a 24-year-old female and plan on traveling alone while I am there. This will not be my first time in Europe as I’ve been to London, Ireland, Scotland, Italy (Sorrento and Rome), and France (Paris) already. However, this will be my first solo trip and while I’m majorly excited (introvert here) it’s also terribly daunting trying to choose a destination/itinerary. Hence why I’m reaching out on the Fodor’s forum for insights and suggestions :) I like the thought of spending the entire time in one place because I feel that you get to know the culture and enjoy the destination more. Not to mention it gives me time to adjust to the European pace of life and not need to worry about seeing multiple sights before we move on to the next city. Having access to other towns or villages via day trips would also be nice.

A little bit about what I’m looking for in the destination – somewhere rich in history and architecture. I’m a history buff and love the feeling of being in a different time period when walking the streets (hello Edinburgh). I’m not big into the night life scene so this is a non-factor. It might be contradictory, but I also would prefer somewhere not overrun with tourists (lol Rome in the summer). Lastly, I’d love if there was a fun food scene. Half the fun of traveling is sitting back, taking time to breathe, and enjoying a delicious meal.

So far I’m thinking of either Vienna, Munich, Warsaw, Prague, or Eastern/Southern France. I understand what I am asking is broad but I wanted to hear travel inputs firsthand from those that have travelled to these cities or see if there are any additional places I should look into. Thank you for any and all insights provided :)

Leely2 Nov 5th, 2019 10:38 AM

I’ve been to Prague solo and would recommend it. I was traveling with a friend and we had a few days in Prague together and then I stayed on by myself for several additional days. It was great! I could have stayed much longer.

I’ve been to Warsaw and found it very interesting. I think I’d return to Krakow first, however.

ETA: expensive and mobbed with tourists, but have you thought about Venice? I’ve done two separate solo weeks there for the Biennale d’Arte and it is really an amazing city. Especially if you get away from the main sites.

starrs Nov 5th, 2019 10:45 AM

" However, this will be my first solo trip and while I’m majorly excited (introvert here) it’s also terribly daunting trying to choose a destination/itinerary. Hence why I’m reaching out on the Fodor’s forum for insights and suggestions"

My choice would be to split the time between a place I already know to a certain extent and then a new place - rather than all of the time in a new place. But that's just what I enjoy doing.

I do like splitting my time between Paris and another place, mainly because I love Paris so. Paris-London and Paris-Amsterdam were my last two April trips. I'd choose the two cities that appeal to you the most.

janisj Nov 5th, 2019 10:50 AM

Venice came to mind for for me too. I don't think I'd stay a full week in Munich. Maybe someplace like Nice to explore the whole area From Cannes/Antibes to Menton and even into Italy. I'd like to stay in Lyon for about a week - sooooo many great restaurants

Staying a week in one place would be wonderful.

cait_mags Nov 5th, 2019 10:56 AM

Thanks all for your comments. I’d love to see Venice however I haven’t heard good things in terms of safety, especially going solo. Do you think there would be enough to occupy a weeks worth of time in Venice as well?

Leely2 Nov 5th, 2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by cait_mags (Post 17012028)
Thanks all for your comments. I’d love to see Venice however I haven’t heard good things in terms of safety, especially going solo. Do you think there would be enough to occupy a weeks worth of time in Venice as well?

I am a culture vulture, so for me Venice with its historical sites, churches, museums (including contemporary art galleries) and new dining scene offers more than I can tackle in a week. Your mileage may vary, but there are also numerous day trips you can easily take.

starrs Nov 5th, 2019 11:17 AM

Easily!
I didn't go to Venice solo, but within a few months my friend returned for a solo trip, staying at the same hotel (smaller room) and exploring for a week. Another Fodorite is there right now for her third trip this year. Solo trip.
Venice would be wonderful! You should definitely consider it!

janisj Nov 5th, 2019 11:20 AM

>>I haven’t heard good things in terms of safety, especially going solo.<<. What on earth have you heard and from whom?

I have only been to Venice solo and have not once felt intimidated or unsafe.

>> Do you think there would be enough to occupy a weeks worth of time in Venice as well?<<

Oh, my goodness yes. And if you did get bored (how that would happen is beyond me) there are day trips to other interesting places .. . .

cait_mags Nov 5th, 2019 12:19 PM

Definitely will check out Venice as a possible option, thanks!

kja Nov 5th, 2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cait_mags (Post 17012004)
So far I’m thinking of either Vienna, Munich, Warsaw, Prague, or Eastern/Southern France.

Originally Posted by Leely2 (Post 17012018)
I’ve been to Warsaw and found it very interesting. I think I’d return to Krakow first, however.

I’d love to see Venice however I haven’t heard good things in terms of safety, especially going solo.

I'm a woman who has been to all the places you mention solo - and I've enjoyed every moment!

Of the places you originally mention, I would think that Vienna, Marseille, and Nice would be outstanding places to spend a week. Like Leely2, I thought Krakow more interesting than Warsaw, but I enjoyed both. You could, perhaps, see both in a week, tilting the majority of your time toward Krakow. I also enjoyed Munich, Prague, and Venice, but for each of those cities, I'd be looking for another location for a few nights to to fill out a week (e.g., for Munich -- Salzburg; for Prague -- Cesky Krumlov or Brno; for Venice -- any of several options). JMO.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about safety in ANY of these locations, assuming you exercise appropriate precautions (don't get drunk in public, keep your valuables in an under-clothing pouch, etc.). The world is full of wonderful options, and all of these are exciting and delightful destinations. Do a bit of research, get a goodbook, and pick the one that appeals most!

Here's a link to a thread with solo trip reports. You might find some inspiration in there. And beware: solo travel can be addictive! ;)
https://www.fodors.com/community/tra...ection-744113/

tomboy Nov 5th, 2019 05:44 PM

I thought Budapest looked like an interesting place for a young person, but it would be appreciated far more if you read some history of the area, instead of relying on what you learned in high school history class.

Or, SE-tern France. Not Nice, but inland. Roman ruins in numerous places, Napoleonic touches, prehistoric caves.

Fleur_de_Lis Nov 5th, 2019 06:05 PM

As someone who has solo traveled to Paris and it's my favorite place in the world to go, I love the idea of doing one place you know and one place that's new - perhaps first half of the week in Paris and second half in another part of France? I love the Loire Valley!
I've also lived in Prague by myself (so not exactly a solo "trip" but I've done Prague solo!) and LOVED it - I think you'd have a great time there. Amazing architecture, history, and some interesting new restaurants coming onto the scene. I'll acknowledge that it might be overrun with tourists in June, though...but certainly no more than Venice (which I think would be worse). And agree you could do a day trip to Cesky Krumlov, which again you'd probably really enjoy if you like history...OR you could even split your time between Vienna and Prague.

joannyc Nov 5th, 2019 06:16 PM

Another solo female traveler here... You could do 6 nights in Prague with day trips to Terezin and Kunta Hora or somewhere else. And, a night in Cesky Krumlov.

Prague is my favorite place that I have visited. And, loved CK, too.

Traveler_Nick Nov 5th, 2019 09:06 PM

Safety in Venice itself is likely the least of your worries. Unless you have a fear of water? Crowds in June OTOH might be.

If you're thinking museums. Berlin with museum island. Or Madrid with the museum triangle.

Personally I like Berlin more . But the war means many parts of the city are modern.

Madrid offers you some day trip options.

kja Nov 5th, 2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick (Post 17012251)
If you're thinking museums. Berlin with museum island. Or Madrid with the museum triangle.

I cetainly wouldn't disagree that Berlin and Madrid both have wonderful museums, but so do Vienna and Venice and any number of places the OP mentioned, so if museums are a focus (did I miss that?), you still have a ton of options, IMO.

Traveler_Nick Nov 5th, 2019 09:56 PM

I don't disagree but I thought the OP was more collecting ideas of possible destinations.

margo_oz Nov 5th, 2019 10:57 PM

A couple more for the list:

Lyon. Great city, good food options, plenty to do and see. Easy short trips to other places. I was there earlier this year.

Dijon. My current favourite place in France. Great food, interesting places to visit, culture, awash with history,

and an outlier:

Bologna. Food, food, food. History, architecture, food, interesting trips, culture, did I mention food?

Have fun!

bilboburgler Nov 6th, 2019 02:29 AM

June. Young. Female solo, one week, easy access from London.

It depends on how you like your crowds and how you like language security.

Well starting in the UK. London has 5 airports and lots of railway stations. Oxford or Cambridge would offer a fair few days plus day trips to Stratford, Ely, Salisbury, Stamford etc. Similar also York, Durham, Leeds.

France offers a wealth. I might look at Bordeaux with side trips out to wine towns especially Bergerac. Lyons, Nice certainly jump up and then Avignon, Nimes, Arles come together pretty well. In the north I'd add in Strasbourg, Reims and cross the border into Trier.

Italy, throw a dart at a dart board.

cait_mags Nov 6th, 2019 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by starrs (Post 17012024)
" However, this will be my first solo trip and while I’m majorly excited (introvert here) it’s also terribly daunting trying to choose a destination/itinerary. Hence why I’m reaching out on the Fodor’s forum for insights and suggestions"

My choice would be to split the time between a place I already know to a certain extent and then a new place - rather than all of the time in a new place. But that's just what I enjoy doing.

I do like splitting my time between Paris and another place, mainly because I love Paris so. Paris-London and Paris-Amsterdam were my last two April trips. I'd choose the two cities that appeal to you the most.

Originally Posted by kja (Post 17012166)
I'm a woman who has been to all the places you mention solo - and I've enjoyed every moment!

Of the places you originally mention, I would think that Vienna, Marseille, and Nice would be outstanding places to spend a week. Like Leely2, I thought Krakow more interesting than Warsaw, but I enjoyed both. You could, perhaps, see both in a week, tilting the majority of your time toward Krakow. I also enjoyed Munich, Prague, and Venice, but for each of those cities, I'd be looking for another location for a few nights to to fill out a week (e.g., for Munich -- Salzburg; for Prague -- Cesky Krumlov or Brno; for Venice -- any of several options). JMO.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about safety in ANY of these locations, assuming you exercise appropriate precautions (don't get drunk in public, keep your valuables in an under-clothing pouch, etc.). The world is full of wonderful options, and all of these are exciting and delightful destinations. Do a bit of research, get a goodbook, and pick the one that appeals most!

Here's a link to a thread with solo trip reports. You might find some inspiration in there. And beware: solo travel can be addictive! ;)
https://www.fodors.com/community/tra...ection-744113/

Originally Posted by joannyc (Post 17012211)
Another solo female traveler here... You could do 6 nights in Prague with day trips to Terezin and Kunta Hora or somewhere else. And, a night in Cesky Krumlov.

Prague is my favorite place that I have visited. And, loved CK, too.

For those who have travelled solo before, how have you combated loneliness? Even being an introvert I’m sure I’ll get the pang of wanting to share an experience with someone or missing company. Any suggestions?

cait_mags Nov 6th, 2019 03:43 AM

Thank you as well for the overwhelming response. Even though I’ve been to France before, I’m leaning towards doing a home stay or something similar in the South where I can stay with a host family. Nice and Lyons look beautiful and very easy access to wineries and bordering villages. They have the laid back culture I’m looking for as well as beautiful scenery and food.