Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Solo female traveller interested in other peoples favorite safe & inexpensive vacation spots (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-female-traveller-interested-in-other-peoples-favorite-safe-and-inexpensive-vacation-spots-235511/)

Marian Jun 29th, 2002 06:30 PM

Solo female traveller interested in other peoples favorite safe & inexpensive vacation spots

Hello:<BR>I am hoping to get recommendations for great inexpensive vacation spots suited for solo woman travellers. Last fall I went on a solo vacation to Bali and had an amazing time. I was never scared being on my own even though it was only one month after Sept. 11. It was easy to travel from one town to another. The trip was incredibly inexpensive: $900.00 R.T. from San Francisco to Denpasar including 5 nights hotel, plus I stayed an additional 8 days at a rate of $20.00 a night, saw incredible sights, shopped like crazy... Does anyone know of another place that fills some or all of that criteria? Look forward to your feedback!<BR>Marian <BR>

Leslie Jun 29th, 2002 07:26 PM

If you want to go on vacation anytime from mid October through November, I would suggest Prague. It's quite safe, prices are extremely cheap during low season, and there is plenty to do in a week or more, including day trips outside of Prague. Only drawback is that if you want to go to the spas, they are closed for the winter.

Linda Jun 29th, 2002 08:48 PM

I love Germany and everyone is very nice. Austria, Switzerland and even Poland and Hungary were no problems. I do agree with Leslie that for the old East, the fall months seem less crowded. Try to stay in a b&b or small pension/hotel.

Marian Jun 30th, 2002 09:51 AM

I'm planning my next vacation for September. I'm hoping to go from 9/4 to 9/25.

Jim Rosenberg Jun 30th, 2002 10:03 AM

The length of time you will be on your trip makes "inexpensive" a rather relative term, since even very reasonable daily costs will run up over time. From the standpoint of the complete experience including airfare, a nice place to stay and meals, it's my opinion that the safest and most inexpensive choices would probably not be in Europe, but in Asia right now. Specifically, perhaps you would want to investigate Thailand.

Marian Jul 5th, 2002 07:07 PM

Thailand is way up on my list, but having just done Bali last year, I was thinking I would like to wait a year before heading back to Asia. It is a great suggestion, though, and is a country I will be visiting!

Melissa Jul 5th, 2002 11:12 PM

Hi Marian, I just did a solo trip to Munich, Prague, Paris and Frankfurt. I found all to be safe, within reason of course.

Debbie Jul 6th, 2002 12:51 AM

Marian, I am just finishing up two months of solo travel meeting up with some friends along the way. My least expensive hotel rooms were in Tuscany,Greece and Turkey. All of which would be very nice in September. I felt safe everywhere I went. In Turkey I got stared at alot as a blonde woman traveling alone(especially in certain areas which I can fill you in on) but never felt unsafe. If you want to e-mail me for specific information I can let you know what towns and hotels I stayed in. My reply may be a bit slow because I am in London finishing up the last few days of my trip but I am checking e-mail every day or two.

Maxie Jul 6th, 2002 06:52 AM

Check out an Ireland trip. Very safe, people very friendly. Lots of different areas to explore depending on your interests.

Guess Who Jul 6th, 2002 10:29 AM

Tuscany, Umbria<BR>UK<BR>Australia, New Zealand<BR>Ward A