Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo female traveling to Italy -- Can you help w/ my itinerary??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thank you all for your great comments and suggestions. It gave me the nerve to pull the trigger and make this trip. I'm a 34 year old female and have been to France and Spain but never alone. My flight is booked but I have a few more questions before I book hotels,tours,transp.
4/11 - 4/15 Hotel Julia...I believe this was recommended.The only avail room is the economic room w/ a shower outside but on same floor. Should I look elsewhere? Or is it clean enough and safe enough?
4/15 - 4/18 FLORENCE at Hotel De Lanzi at about $100/nt. 4/18-4/21 VENICE at HOtel Arlecchino at $97/nt.
4/21 - heading to Paris to meet friends.

Tours: I was going to take just one guided tour in each city. Do I need to book now or can the hotel arrange once I'm there?

Transp: This one confuses me. Should I do the 2country eurail? Or do I just buy each ticket individually at the train stations?

Finally, if anyone is there over the same time and would like to meet-- that would be great! Thanks again!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hi Jenny,
You don't really need guided tours in any of the cities, especially Florence and Venice. You will have enough time to explore on your own in each city. Get yourself a good guidebook,and a good city map for each place. The centro storico in Florence is small and you can easily walk around and find everything. Venice is wonderful for just wandering around and exploring and you can do it all on foot. Be sure to take a vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal, from the station to the Piazza San Marco. It's a wonderful, inexpensive introduction to Venice.
Since you're not doing that much traveling, I think you'd be better off just buying individual tickets, rather than a Eurail pass but you might want to do some price comparisons. Check trenitalia.it or bahn.de for prices and schedules.
I'm not familiar with any of your hotels but in Florence, before you book, take a look at the Residenza Il Villino, which is just a few blocks from the Duomo, and is within your price range. It's a lovely, friendly B&B with the most wonderful hosts who go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
I've traveled solo many times in Italy. You will love it.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Sounds like a fun trip! I stayed at Hotel Julia almost a year ago. The location was very convenient and I walked everywhere except to the Vatican. I probably could have walked but my time was short. There is a metro station about 2 blocks away.

The room was clean, I felt safe, the breakfast was good and the staff were very nice. I got the same type of room. There was a small room within the room for the toilet and sink. The room was small. It was as wide as the door and twin bed. The size might not be a problem for many people, but I would have felt kind of "closed in" if I had stayed a week. But for one night the price, location and staff were the big pluses.

Are you flying into Rome? The hotel can make shuttle arrangements for you, it was a good deal. It cost 12 euro and you get dropped off at the door of the hotel. (only 1 euro more than taking the train into town and then the metro and then walk 2 blocks).

I agree with the train advice from panecott.
Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Check out Casa Santo Nome di Gesu - a convent lodging on the Oltr'Arno side of Florence. I stayed there for 10 days in Oct.2003. I was also alone but I felt very safe. The single room with a shower is 50 euros. This includes breakfast. You can reserve dinner for 14 euros. The website is www.fmmfirenze.it
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM

If you had to get up the nerve to book a trip, are you going to be prepared for the attention women, especially solo women get in Italy?

Maybe a few polite Italian phrases are in order.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

wc081,

Is it really that bad? I have heard that but I have also read many of the messages here from females traveling alone and they havent had any problems with the men. That wasnt my main concern with the trip anyway but I will definitely make sure to learn some "polite" phrases.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Hi Jenny, congratulations to you! I am near your age and have traveled alone in Italy twice now and although I too was nervous the first time, it was a great experience both times. Maybe this is why when I read your post I felt a duty to share my opinion of Hotel Julia in Rome (which is just my opinion FWIW). I stayed there last year mainly due to budget constraints and the Spanish Steps location. I really disliked it for several reasons; our room was tiny, with ugly, dingy furniture, it had zero charm and although some of the staff were very friendly as mentioned, the man that was there the night we arrived was not. I felt the hotel was extremely overpriced for the value given and I would never stay there again or recommend anyone else too. Next time I would pay more for something with charm and in the Piazza Navona area or go the budget option and stay in a convent. I have stayed at probably 100 different hotels in Italy over several trips and this was by far the worst accomodation I've ever encountered. That same trip my friend and I stayed at the Santa Giuliani Falconieri convent which is bare bones but for the price I would take it over Hotel Julia anyday. I know other people recommend it which is why I say this is just my opinion. Whatever you decide, you are going to have a great trip.
JenV
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM

jennyberts, I stayed at Hotel Julia and my experience was the same as cls2paris. I was there for five nights in January 2005. In short, the clean and neat economical single room fit the bill, the staff were friendly, the breakfast was good, the room was properly cleaned, towels were replaced, and I was comfortable in the admittedly small room. I paid 50 Euros per night. The room did not have much style, but I didn't expect it for the price.

I have to admit that I would think twice (or ten times) about paying the 190 Euro rate for a double room in high season, though!