Solo female staying in Westminster area

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Vita

Solo female staying in Westminster area

I didn't get a lot of feedback on my last post so I thought I'd reword it. I was actually looking for comments on the safety and quaility of the Luna Simone Hotel on Belgrave Road in Westminster. Their site says its about a 15 minute walk to Victoria Station and it look like it's about equidistant between Buckingham Palace and the Thames, but maps can be decieving.

Can anyone familiar with the hotel or the area tell me if this would be on OK place for a woman travelling alone to stay? Will I be OK walking around alone at night. I'll exercise common sense, but I just want to know HOW careful I would have to be in this area. Also how convenient in general is this area for sightseeing.

If anyone has comments about the hotel itself, that would be great too. I was planning on book a room with a shared bath. Thanks.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:45 AM
janis

Vita - I haven't stayed there but I looked it up. This B&B hotel is not in Westminster. It is on the border between Victoria and Pimlico. That said - it is not a bad area at all. Belgrave Road is convenient for transport since both the Pimlico (Victoria line) and Victoria (3 tube lines plus mainline trains and coaches) are within walking distance. The River and Tate Britain are also within an easy walk. There are many B&Bs and budget hotels on the street so there will be lots of people around and you should not have any trouble being on your own. So if you got a good deal it is an OK location for a single woman.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 04:49 AM
janis

Oh - and be sure to try Goya - it is a Tapa Bar and Spanish restaurant on Lupus street just a couple of blocks from Belgrave road. The Tapa bar on the ground floor is a god send for late night meals after the theatre since they serve late. Especially being on your own - this is a good safe place to eat - take the tube to Pimlico and walk about 3 blocks to the restaurant. That way you are back in your "neighborhood" and have only a short walk back to the hotel - instead of eating near the theatres and getting back on the tube very late.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Vita

ttt

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Simone

I stayed at the Winchester, just down the street from Luna Simone on my first solo trip to London. This neighborhood is full of B&Bs, some really horrid and some good to okay. Luna Simone has been recommended in several guides so you probably made a good decision to stay there. When in doubt, ask to look at the room first.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Maira

Vita, did you decided on a hotel already? If not, consider the Victoria Inn on Belgrave Road (about $90/double, ensuite). About 15 minutes walk to Victoria, 5 minutes to Pimlico, I felt very safe. Great area, I would stay in that neighborhood again in a heartbeat. Clean and comfortable. Very nice staff (Tatiana and Anastasia were so nice!).

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Vita

Thanks, Maira. I did already book with the Luna & Simone, but it sounds like it's pretty close to where you stayed, so I'm glad to know the area's safe.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Ben Haines

Would anybody like to tell me about any unsafe street or area of Westminster or Victoria, where women are not safe alone ? Or of any hotel in London where a single woman is unsafe ? I?m intrigued: I live in London.

Ben Haines

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Dale

Hi Vita: I'm just back home from a wonderful 10-trip to England, part of which I ended up staying in London alone (Gloucester Rd. and Greenwich areas). At no time was I afraid walking around at night. I took my usual precautions against the pickpocks, but that was it. You'll find that there are always lots of people around in the evenings. When I travel I always remember what my 80-year old mother says, "if any guy grabs me, he'll sure let me go fast enough, once he gets me under a street light!" Go ahead and have fun, and if you want to worry about something, worry about the sore feet you'll get from walking around. Have fun,
Dale

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:17 AM
Tana

Hello Vita!
I've never posted here, but here goes -

I will be staying at the Luna Simone with a friend the last half of March. I stayed just down the street at the Melbourne House (by myself) last year. I never felt unsafe, even getting back to the hotel at 10 or 11 at night. Victoria Station was a bit of a walk (15 minutes, give or take). I usually walked over to Pimlico (5 minutes away).
The location is closer to the Thames than to Buckingham Palace, I'd guess. I thought the location was very convenient for sightseeing.
If you have any more specific questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:37 AM
Buzz

Vita, first off I'm male, but have had the same concerns when traveling with my wife and/or daughter. Although I feel that London is reasonably safe, far more so than other cities its size (or half its size) we have found it necessary to excercise a bit more caution over the past couple of years, particularly on the Tube after, say, 10 o'clock, especially on Friday/Saturday nights. It seems to be more and more "rowdy" over the past few years. last year, coming back from Covent Garden on a Friday, there was a rolling fist fight that started at one end of our car and rolled to the other. It was so crowded that there was little or no damage done, but it was still disquieting. The perps (twerps?) were drunk, college-age males.

Also, a friend of mine was mugged near Southhampton Row on a Friday night about 10. Granted, he wasn't all that bright in that he was walking alone and carrying his wallet in his hip pocket, but on the other hand he is a youngish fellow, a bit over six foot tall and he was a target.

Honestly, I'm not trying to bum you out, but the world is changing. I don't know what you personal schedule is, but when in London I alter mine to rising as early as possible and being back in my room by a reasonable hour at night.

If I'm "out" for the evening to dine, see a show, whatever, I think it best to take a cab rather than the Underground.

That being said, you will have a wonderful trip, but remember that the law of averages will tell you that, among those millions and millons of people, obviously they're not all sweet and wonderful.