Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SOLO AFTERNOON TEA (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-afternoon-tea-759909/)

yvillanua Jan 6th, 2009 11:42 AM

SOLO AFTERNOON TEA

Hello, i wanted other's opinions regarding my situation.
I'm going solo to london, and i made reservations @ the dorchester for afternoon tea, which i'm really exited about going, but...
since i'll be by my self,
1: will they think it's weird that ill be by my self

2: what to do so i don't look bored out of my mind,since it i can't exactly start conversation with anyone...is it proper to take a book...i don't think so, but it's worth asking....
what do you all think???

lennyba Jan 6th, 2009 11:50 AM

Hi yvillanua -

I haven't been to the Dorchester, but I want to encourage you not to be intimidated by eating out or doing other things alone on your trip. Most people aren't paying attention to anyone but themselves anyway, so they won't think you're weird. Eating out solo is something that gets a lot easier with practice and a healthy shot of self-confidence.

Enjoy your trip.

flanneruk Jan 6th, 2009 11:56 AM

I've no idea whether "they" will think your behaviour weird. But why should you care?

The prices they charge, you've got every right to do more or less whatever you want. And you'll be in England, where we take the right to be different seriously. And solo tea-ers aren't rare.

It's impractical at poncey tea places to strike up conversations with adjoining tables. Reading's the easiest alternative. Again, you're going to be in England. Why on earth do you think it might be "improper" to read a book? USA Today, maybe. But a book?

taggie Jan 6th, 2009 12:01 PM

I went to London last year for the first time solo, and liked it so much I'm going back in 2 weeks!

Dining out and going into pubs on my own was the one thing that had me nervous before I went.

But I realized that no one was really even noticing me, and if they were it didn't bother me at all. I saw lots of other people on their own too. Sometimes I would read a guidebook or magazine or write some notes to myself in my little diary, a couple of times I played around with my mobile phone, but most of the time I just sat and observed people.

And did you ever notice that couples out together often don't even interact with one another very much? And sometimes they look miserable together! If that were me, I'd rather be enjoying the pleasure of my own company!

The people at the Dorchester won't think it's weird - I'm sure they get lots of people there on their own. Plus, who cares? They are there to provide a service to you! Take a little book if you want, but make sure to take some time to enjoy your surroundings and observe all the little nuances of the tea and the hotel details.

zeppole Jan 6th, 2009 12:01 PM

I'd certainly take a book -- or a DVD player or tiddlywinks or whatever else amuses you given the high cost of an afternoon tea in London's major hotels, even with the declining pound.

I'm often solo in major cities and fantastic tourist spots, and I just do what I want to do. But I'm going to put this out for what it's worth: afternoon tea, like meeting for a drink, is basically a social occasion. The finger sandwiches, sweets and tea scarcely justify the (usually) high cost. Although partaking of afternoon tea is often ranked as a "must-do" tourist activity, you might re-think the expense and spend the pounds on something else.

However, you describe yourself as "excited" by the prospect -- and if you'd rather ignore my advice, enjoy your tea, and bring whatever you like to keep you amused. (My choice would be a Pomeranian dog with a bow in its hair.)

yk Jan 6th, 2009 12:33 PM

I travel solo a lot, and I enjoy dining solo. When i was younger, I used to be a bit uncomfortable with dining alone, so I would always have a book w/me.

Now? I actually enjoy all the people-watching and perhpas evasdropping! AND also actually savour the food without any distraction. LOVE IT!

And If I'm in a country where I don't speak/understand their language, I simply pass my time at watching the diners talk and their body language, and try to guess what they're talking about!

At posh or high end restaurants, it is a bit odd to try to strike up a coversation with your neighbors, but if you go to a more casual place on your trip, it's okay to chat. However, IMO, Londoners tend to be more standoff-ish than folks from smaller towns.

nona1 Jan 6th, 2009 12:41 PM

I'd say it's rather weird to chat in pretty much any restaurant/cafe, even the very informal/lower grade ones. Beyond maybe a comment if something happens - especially if you can roll your eyes at the same time - but a conversation. Not really. Unless you've bumped into the local weirdo or a very lonely person.

Pubs can be more sociable.

yk Jan 6th, 2009 01:08 PM

Here's my personal experience:

In Sept 2007, I traveled to London solo. One night, I had dinner by myself at Belgo Centraal, which has communal tables.

I shared a long table with many people, and I started a conversation with the diner who sat opposite me (he said Hi to me first). Guess what, that was a Hollywood movie star.

I have had very enjoyable conversations with my fellow diners in all parts of Europe. Like with a Finnish guy on business in Nuremberg, or 2 Dutch brothers and an Italian film crew in Amsterdam, or a lovely English couple at the cafe in Eltham Palace.

taggie Jan 6th, 2009 01:12 PM

yk!!!! You can't tell an anecdote like that and NOT say who the actor was!!!

cynthia_booker Jan 6th, 2009 01:55 PM

I remember that story from when it was first posted - it was Brendan Fraser, who was in "The Mummy."
I thought about YK's good luck at a later time when I was in the area and kept an eye out for him. You never know.
He had probably been there just while working, but still.
BTW, about the solo tea. A much more comfortable but still very, very nice place for afternoon tea is the Orangerie at Kensington Palace. Also, the price is reasonable, especially considering the very nice atmosphere and the tea selections on offer.

Christina Jan 6th, 2009 02:00 PM

<<I'd say it's rather weird to chat in pretty much any restaurant/cafe, even the very informal/lower grade ones. Beyond maybe a comment if something happens - especially if you can roll your eyes at the same time - but a conversation. Not really. Unless you've bumped into the local weirdo or a very lonely person.>>

Is this meant to be sarcastic or ironic? Surely you can't say that it is weird for people to talk to each other in any cafe/restaurant in most places in the world? This is such a bizarre comment I don't know what to make of it. That's one of the main reasons people go out to dinner, to socialize, not just to eat.

Now it might be weird to chat in any restaurant/cafe if you are alone, I agree with that. At least chatting with yourself.

Carrybean Jan 6th, 2009 03:35 PM

I always go to London solo except for 1 trip & always dine, have tea & do whateverelse I want solo.

Enjoy the tea & the people-watching. Nobody cares if you're alone or with 10 people & frankly, I think you'd stick out more reading a book instead of just enjoying the goodies.

Many, many years ago I went to tea at the Plaza in NYC & when I presented myself to the Maitre'd & said, "Just one" he chided me saying that "just" one was more than welcome & as important as any other party coming for tea or a meal. I have never said it again.

suze Jan 6th, 2009 04:16 PM

I don't know about tea at The Dorchester but I travel alone quite often.

Do whatever you want (sit there and stare into space, leaf thru a magazine or travel guide, write some postcards, read a book).

Don't start a conversation with the table next to you! That's the only thing someone might find a bit strange.

thursdaysd Jan 6th, 2009 04:40 PM

I have done a lot of solo travel, and therefore dining, and it would never occur to me not to take a book - or my journal - or, these days, my iPod. The iPod is good for people watching as you can eat and listen and look all at the same time. And I don't get this thing about not striking up a conversation with fellow-diners. Does depend on where you are, but I've had some very good conversations that way.

BTW, I eat afternoon tea for the scones and clotted cream, rather than the sandwiches and cake, and find the Orangery is a good deal for that - http://www.hrp.org.uk/kensingtonpala...staurants.aspx.

Cries_Van_Notebook Jan 6th, 2009 05:39 PM

Nobody will care that you are alone. London is a big city where people have more to worry about than what you are eating.

Really, you could pull down your knickers on Brompton Road and take a dump in the gutter and no one would even look at you.

Thin

taggie Jan 6th, 2009 08:03 PM

Hmmm well if I saw someone doing that on Brompton Rd. I might take a look. :P But then I imagine I would look away rather quickly.

bdj Jan 6th, 2009 10:53 PM

We did Afternoon Tea at the Georgian Restaurant in Harrods and enjoyed it to such an extent that if traveling solo there would be no hesitation in returning with a stack of postcards, blissfully soaking in this storied tradition and sharing the experience with those back home.

Perhaps viewing a video of High Tea at the Dorchester on YouTube will alleviate any concerns, or if you search “Afternoon Tea” or “bdj1776”, a better sense of our experience may be helpful.

PatrickLondon Jan 7th, 2009 12:45 AM

Not if you're Paula Radcliffe, Thin. Or in the Dorchester lounge.

Cholmondley_Warner Jan 7th, 2009 04:06 AM

Is this meant to be sarcastic or ironic? Surely you can't say that it is weird for people to talk to each other in any cafe/restaurant in most places in the world? This is such a bizarre comment I don't know what to make of it. That's one of the main reasons people go out to dinner, to socialize, not just to eat.>>>

Not in England it isn't. If anyone tried to speak to me in an eating place I would reserve the right to stab them in the eye with a toasting fork and use the eyeball as a fondue item.

Really, you could pull down your knickers on Brompton Road >>>>

Presumably after a night in Bromptons.

Every day another insight into the private lives of Fodorites.

nona1 Jan 7th, 2009 09:15 AM

Christina - I was talking about trying to chat to complete strangers at other tables - which someone suggested the OP do. Of course we all chat to our companions!

But chatting to people on other tables, it's weirdo behaviour in the UK beyond one brief comment IF really warranted. ie. the restaurant catches fire.