Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sognefjord Scenic Express Boat and Nutshell (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sognefjord-scenic-express-boat-and-nutshell-327298/)

jeg Jun 14th, 2003 04:41 AM

Sognefjord Scenic Express Boat and Nutshell

Hello,
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to do the "Nutshell" tour, starting in Bergen and ending in Oslo. Is it better to do the usual route of a train from Bergen to Voss and then bus to Gudvangen and boat from Gudvangen to Flam or should we take what's described as the "Sognefjord Scenic Express Boat" from Bergen to Flam and then take the train to Myrdal and then on to Oslo? Which way would be more scenic? Where would we get tickets for the express boat, if we decide to go that way? Do we need to reserve in advance? (We're two adults and two children.)
Also, I know this kind of question has been asked quite a few times, but I'm still having trouble with a few things. I understand that the tickets for the whole Nutshell tour, with connections, can just be bought at the Bergen train station. However, in the Rick Steves Scandinavia book, he recommends getting a seat reservation for the Bergen-Oslo portion several weeks before the trip. Do I get that seat reservation before actually getting the train tickets? If I miss a connection between boat, bus, train, is my reservation fee lost and will I be without a seat for the remainder of the Bergen-Oslo trip?
Hoping you can help me figure this out!
Thanks.

Deloris Jun 17th, 2003 09:25 PM

Well, I do hope you are not planning to do this in 1 day because it is impossible!!!! Do the one day nutshell Bergen in a boat then train to Voss etc, and back to Bergen. This is a full day.And very relaxing. Hope you spend at least a full day in Bergen before or after. Then to Oslo on the train, a very relaxing and gorgeous trip. If there is ANY way you can afford 1st class, go for it. Seats unlike any you will see in 1st class in a plane. Major recliners and swivel to see the view. If you don't smoke be careful to pick a no smoking section on any class!
Enjoy!!!

Deloris Jun 17th, 2003 09:32 PM

ps. We got our Oslo-Bergen tics at the Oslo train station a couple days before the trip, but maybe check with the concierge at your 1st Norway hotel before you set off from the US so that if there is a problem they can make arrangements for you for the longer leg. At the time of year we went it was no problem.And what a great education for your lucky kids!!My first trip was when I was 11 (a big while ago) and I was lucky to return 4 years ago with great memories of the 1st Childhood trip! Enjoy!!!

Marija Jun 18th, 2003 02:02 AM

Don't miss the boat trip from Gudvangen to Flam on the Naerofjord (sp?). The trip from Bergen to Flam is not comparable. Many of the boats out of Bergen are fast catamarans that aren't really particularly pleasant rides (indoor only, noise). The Nutshell boat trip down that fjord is incredible; it was the highpoint for us. (We took the Sognefjord Scenic Express boat from Balestrand back to Bergen so I've done them both.)

jeg Jun 18th, 2003 02:38 AM

Thank you, both of you, for your advice. I think I won't bother with the express boat, and will stick with the Nutshell plan. Deloris, I have a question about your response. You said the day would be too long for going on to Oslo, so I should go back to Bergen. Is there a reason to go back to Bergen or should we stay somewhere along the Nutshell route (Voss? Flam?)? (We'll be in Bergen for two days before going on the Nutshell tour.) Thanks!

Bjorn Jun 18th, 2003 10:09 AM

Why not try The nutshell option Bergen-Myrdal-Flam by train, then Flam-Gudvangen by boat, then bus the Stalheim cliffs and overnight at georgious Stalheim Hotel. Next morning continue by bus to Voss to catch the express train to Oslo. Price will be the same as if going Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Oslo. Of course you'll get the short Voss-Myrdal train trip twice, but what so? The gain will be fewer vehichle changes and certainly the very best way to go down the Flam rail. Seat yourself at the left hand side and be happy. Going Naroy fjord from Flam to Gudvangen definately is the very best direction, because that way the fjord gets increasingly exciting. The other direction (from Gudvangen) means travelling away from the narrowness instead of getting to it.
Have fun!!
Bjorn, Oslo

mikeytoo Jun 18th, 2003 10:26 PM

bjorn's recommendation is excellent in that it wouldn't be too taxing on the body and not have too much time wasted; moreover, the Stalheim Hotel is indeed amazing so staying one night would be an added bonus. what i was so impressed is seeing the coach bus driver maneuvering the tight winding road and allowing momentary stops for picture taking..the the famous amalfi drive done by the buses is nothing compared to this...

jeg Jun 19th, 2003 02:02 AM

Thank you everyone for your ideas. Bjorn, I think we'll take your suggestion. It sounds great. Do you have any idea how long it will take to get to Oslo if we leave the Stalheim in the morning? Should we reserve the Bergen to Oslo train (both sections) in advance, from home? We'll be traveling in 3 weeks.
Thanks again.

jsmith Jun 19th, 2003 10:05 AM

If you have doubts about staying at the Stalheim Hotel their website should dispel them.

http://www.stalheim.com/engelsk/index.htm

Click highlights on the left hand menu for a photo of the hairpin road to the hotel and imagine the view you get looking down the valley.

Staying there was one of the highlights of a tour we took 4 years ago.

Brilliant.

Deloris Jun 20th, 2003 09:10 PM

I'm with Bjorn. Flam is so close to Bergen but Bergen is many hours (I'd have to dig into my dusty closet to look it up) but it took from early morning til mid afternoon to travel from Oslo to Bergen by train. Well worth it view wise but I do recommend a plane to return to wherever as time is golden on a vacation.More Questions?
Glad to help!

asmama May 18th, 2016 08:59 PM

bookmarking