Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Soccer (football) tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/soccer-football-tickets-285101/)

Arbitro Feb 5th, 2003 12:13 PM

Soccer (football) tickets

I will be Scotland and England from March 14 to March 23, 2003 and would love to see the following games: Rangers vs. Motherwell on March 15 and Man Utd vs Fulham on March 22. Is it possible to purchase tickets on game day at the stadium ticket window? Do I have to be a registered club member to purchase? Are there scalpers selling tickets?

AR Feb 5th, 2003 12:31 PM

I am not too sure about Rangers, but Man Utd tickets are impossible to obtain by non season ticket holders or corporate members. I have a friend who is a member of the club (not a season ticket holder), and even they have to apply for tickets through a draw. They have been unsuccessful so far this season! You could try Fulham directly as an away fan, but don't hold your breath.<BR>BUT, they can be obtained from &quot;reputable&quot; agencies. Try www.ticketuk.com or www.Tickets2everything.com<BR>Be prepared to pay PREMIUM prices! There was a story here about a guy who bought a ticket for the George Harrison memorial concert in London through one of these types of agencies. They paid &pound;495 for a &pound;50 ticket in the very top of the Albert Hall. What's more, it was not a genuine ticket and they got thrown out. Man Utd tickets won't be as expensive, but..... Why not try a smaller team such as Man City, Aston Villa or Birmingham?<BR>

Ann41 Feb 6th, 2003 01:55 PM

A few ideas for obtaining ManU tickets: join a U.S.-based ManU supporters club. I have a friend who belongs to a chapter in NYC, and he never has trouble getting tickets for home matches against the smaller clubs (like Fulham) through them.<BR><BR>Also, check to see if ManU offers executive packages. They're more expensive, but many times you can get a ticket that way. I've used it for other clubs, but not ManU, so not sure if that exists.<BR><BR>Another way that worked for my husband: he got tickets to a ManU match for a friend through the Manchester office of his company. If you work for an international company, you might be able to try this.<BR><BR>As for Rangers, check out their website. I've been to Celtic a couple of times, but again got the tickets through my husband's Glasgow office. I wouldn't wait until game day.

AAFrequentFlyer Feb 6th, 2003 02:38 PM

Yes, just like anywhere in the world, you will be able to buy a ticket to ManU around the stadium before the game. I see at least 2 or 3 games every year, and now I do have a regular source, but 2 years ago I was able to purchase tickets from scalpers just before a game around the Old Trafford. That's how I made a connection with my regular source. The gentleman is a season ticket holder that works with me on few games every year. I only pay 15BP above the face value. So if nothing else works for you, I suggest you get to the stadium about 2 hours before and I will guarantee you will find a ticket. <BR>Old Trafford is IMHO one of the best stadiums in the world. The atmosphere is electric. <BR>Have a great time at the game.<BR>GO RED DEVILS!!!!!<BR>They have a great shot at regaining the championship this year.

Alec Feb 6th, 2003 04:37 PM

I have recently managed buy a ticket for a home game at Old Trafford through the official website. Admittedly most games are sold out, but a few are available for general sale. Usually they are cup ties against lesser oppositions (Worthington Cup, rounds 3 and 4 of FA Cup) or European games, again against smaller clubs, or at a stage when the result is no longer relevant i.e. they have already qualified for the next round. I managed to buy a couple of tickets for the forthcoming game against FC Basel on March 12. I was lucky, as shortly after I bought them they were sold out. So it's worth checking the official site at www.manutd.co.uk now and again. Certainly during the next season as there will hardly be any 'meaningless' games left in the current campaign.

david_west Feb 7th, 2003 02:01 AM

Aha! The old Man Utd fan not from Manchester cliche! Still at least you're not from Surrey like the rest of 'em<BR><BR>Man Utd tickets are like hens teeth. Man Utd recently admitted that 2,000+ of their season ticket holders are dead, ie someone has inherited the right to buy the ticket.<BR><BR>THere will be 'scalpers' (we call them touts in England)selling tickets outside. THese cost at least double the face value.<BR><BR>You should also know that it is illegal to sell football tickets like this. The police turn a blind eye (and Fulham don't have a hooligan fringe), but it means that you have no comeback if the ticket is a dud.<BR><BR>Another thing to know is that if the ticket is a members ticket it will have their name and membership number on it. It is worthless without the corredponding membership card and voucher.<BR><BR>Maybe try another club?

Alec Feb 7th, 2003 03:20 AM

Pardon me, but though I'm not ManUtd fan, I live in Manchester, about half way between Maine Rd and Old Trafford.

moschops Feb 7th, 2003 05:25 AM

David West - by saying Fulham don't have a hooligan element you show you've never been a Hammersmith resident after a Fulham/QPR game!!!!

david_west Feb 7th, 2003 08:48 AM

Fulham couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag! They are considered in the lowest police classification for games. So even against a nasty mob like Man Utd (who have hoolies by the drove) they wouldn't be considered a risk. Thus the police wouldn't enforce segregation too rigidly<BR><BR>QPR do have some hoolies though, that's who you're seeing.<BR><BR>Fulhams' crowd is mainly Japanese girls or very old men.<BR><BR>David (A spurs fan, so depressingly familiar with hoolies)

sheila Feb 7th, 2003 01:30 PM

I've just spent ages trying to sort out where to get the Ibrox tickets and only just realised you got the date wrong. Rangers are playing Motherwell at Ibrox on March 19th not 15th.<BR><BR>If you still want to go, I think you will have to be in touch with Rangers direct. Motherwell will have only a small allocation, and they will be pretty much taken up.<BR><BR>The game is likely to sell out.<BR><BR>If you want me to phone them, email me<BR><BR>[email protected]