Soccer (football) jerseys?

Dec 1st, 2001, 03:25 PM
Olivia

Soccer (football) jerseys?

My niece and nephew are avid soccer players and have requested soccer (football) jerseys for Christmas. We will be in Paris, Mainz (near Frankfurt), London and Manchester in 3 weeks. Where is best to pick up the soccer jerseys (very small adult, medium adult sizes)?

Dec 1st, 2001, 04:11 PM
Alec

In all the cities mentioned, any decent sports shops will stock a good range of shirts from more popular clubs, both of their own country and others, plus perhaps the local team. You can buy shirts for Barcelona, AC Milan and Manchester United for example from almost anywhere. If you are looking for kits of lesser clubs, often the only place to get them is from the clubs' own shops, usually near their stadia. In England, the chain stores like Soccer Unlimited and JJB Sports carry a wide range in all sizes. I'm talking about official merchandise authorised by the clubs. There are cheaper, unofficial, inferior kits on street markets etc, which should be avoided - no self-respecting soccer fans will wear them!

Dec 1st, 2001, 06:19 PM
George

I'd recommend Lillywhite's at Piccadilly Circus (London). My wife and I picked up kits for the kids while we were there last August. It's a great store with quite a selection. It's not inexpensive though.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:45 AM
Thierry

In London, head for carnaby street. There are a couple of very well-stocked sport shops that sell shirts from most english and many top european club sides.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:54 AM
Olivia

Thanks SO much for the tips! Manchester United is definitely on my list of ones to look for. Any for Germany or France (Paris) I should look for? Good sports stores or other places for the jerseys there?

Dec 4th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Ursula

Topping for Olivia!

Hope this helps. There is more activity again here. So, messages are likely to sink quickly.

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:42 AM
kate

In France, you could get a "Paris Saint Germain" shirt (the main team in Paris), in Germany you could get "Bayern Munich" or "Borussia Dortmund". And of course don't forget the shirt of France's national side - they are the current World Champions after all!

As for London, this website seems to be dominated by Tottenham Hotspur fans. Don't be fooled - "Arsenal" are the biggest team in London and have the best chance of winning the League (I, on the other hand, am an Aston Villa fan, but unless your trip includes Birmingham, then I won't inflict this shirt on you).

Dec 4th, 2001, 09:16 AM
curt

Kate my dear I have just one thing to say: "Come on you Spurs!"...check the league table today - oh my Spurs are in the fifth slot - oh happy days are again!

Dec 4th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Man Chester

to the top for Olivia, who gets a yellow card for not bothering to figure out how the boards work.

Dec 6th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Ann

Liverpool! The most successful English team in history! Can't argue with 4 European Cups. Man U has had a good 10 years, but their star seems to be fading. I'd go for Liverpool (besides, every kid loves Michael Owen), Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

You might also think about buying them national team shirts, particularly with the World Cup coming up this summer. Again, these are available at most sport shops.

Kate-I have to take issue--Liverpool's at the top of the league with a game in hand. Sure it's a long season, but I think you'd have to agree that at the moment, they have the best chance of winning the league. To be fair, whoever wins the Lpool v. Arsenal match the weekend before Christmas will probably come out on top. And you shouldn't be so hard on your home team--Villa's doing well this year. Of course, didn't Ginola just get a 6-match ban? Or was he able to get out it?

Dec 6th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Alf Garnett

Football Football FOOTBALL!!!
Is that ALL you women talk about? For heaven's sake!

Dec 6th, 2001, 11:05 AM
mark

Real Madrid!

Dec 7th, 2001, 07:30 AM
david west

never mind all this tosh from prawn sandwich munchers from surry and gooners :0) why not take your sons to a match? Tickets are reasonably easy to obtain for most games if you don't mind paying a premium. Feel free to email if you need help in this.

BTW Osama bin Laden is an Arsenal fan (this is honestly true, they've banned him from coming again). Gooners, just when you think they can't get worse!

Dec 7th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Ann

David, that's a great idea, except I get the impression that the niece and nephew aren't along on the trip.

So, to make up for, I'm off to see Lpool v. Bolton on New Year's Day, then run up to Glasgow on 2 Jan. to see Celtic (and Motherwell? Who cares who they're playing?). And I'm so glad that Claudio Reyna finally left those Rangers b******s.