So...Not to be a wimp or anything

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but we're leaving for Paris in 9 days, and it doesn't look like the current political situation in France is going to resolve in the very immediate future.

My traveling companions and I can handle being inconvenienced. We've all got two or three pairs of excellent walking shoes, and we're in good shape. We're all somewhat knowledgeable about world events and each think it will add something to be able to witness firsthand a major event in France's unfolding modern history.

But we’re not really the shopping types, so if we can't get in to museums or monuments because of strikes, at some point we may decide we want to head for less stressful climes, and therein lies my question.

If we decide to bail out of Paris early, what are our chances of being able to head south without plans – or a car? Won't we run into the same situation on a smaller scale? And if we decide to get out of France entirely and spend more time in Italy, how likely are we to be able to find spontaneous accommodations right around Easter? Someone told me that's the European equivalent of American's spring break.

I know, I'm being a self-involved wimp. But I figure it's better to be a somewhat well-advised self-involved wimp than an ignorant martyr.

Sara
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Yes and most schools and universities in France also take a two-week break - i suspect the young rioters will also opt for a few weeks vacation at that time - Paris may be calm - in anyway the disruptions are usually localized to a few areas, except in the case of transit strikes and general strikes, of course. As for the two-week Easter period, yes it's very hectic time in Italy as many northern Europeans flock there for the two-week break from their normal dismal spring weather.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM

If you can't go to museums or monuments because of strikes, you won't be able to take trains or buses, correct? Will the airports be open?

So you'll have to rent a car.

If you decide to bail out of Paris early, how much will you have to eat in hotel cancellaton fees?

I wouldn't worry too much about not finding accommodations elsewhere. Apart from renting a car, I don't see how you are going to get there and back.

Anyway, Paris is likely to have a holiday feel when it's on strike. And the parks will be open -- and so will some of the private museums, like the Jacquesmart-Andre, I would think. Boat rides to someplace else?

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I can't imagine bailing out of Paris early under any circumstances....
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I agree with Sandi. I loved Paris and don't necessarily need to be in a museum to have a good time. Its a beautiful city to walk around in. Sit down and have a cafe creme or glass of wine and people watch, stroll around one of the many parks, duck into some of the beautiful churches.

On another note, we were in Paris in November while the riots were taking place and nothing at all was closed. Granted the riots at that time were farther out of the city but it didn't seem to affect tourism at all.

Tracy
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Shoot for Paris. If things are unbearable, try to catch a train or rent a car. But at least give it a chance.

In a pinch, you could head north to Belgium and Holland - mid-April is not a bad time to be in that part of Europe. Germany is not far away - especially the Rhine Valley and the Black Forest.

You don't have to be a wimp or a martyr, just an informed traveler with some idea of what your options might be.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I hadn't thought about the idea of just kicking back to people watch in a beautiful country with great food and great wine and a great book or two That sounds like heaven, actually. What a weird concept, to actually relax!

Thanks. I think I'm past my jitters.

Sara
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM

As of todays news, RyanAir has cancelled all flights in and out of Paris and there are rail strikes.
I would rent a car , but if these strikes continue, I think I would bail too. You don't go to Paris just to sit in a safe hotel room, and with the air full of tear gas, and demonstrations becoming violent, another locale might be a good idea for a back up.
But it is happening all over France, so you might want to think about that too.
We were in London and Paris over Easter and found it to be a quiet time with no huge crowds..

I reeeeally hope it all dies down, like this week! I hope you get to take the trip and enjoy Paris, a nice calm safe Paris.
Good luck!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I was in Paris several summers ago during a general strike. It was all rather civilized. Some museums or parts of museums were closed on particular days, but there was never a city-wide shutdown. Also, not all transportation was disrupted; only certain lines at certain times. Admittedly, I don't know how widespread the current general strike is in Paris and/or the rest of France, but I would not necessarily assume that the city has or will grind to a halt.

In any event, I can think of plenty to do in Paris that does not involve museums or shopping. Walking/bike tours, parks, people watching at cafes, bookstores, eating, meeting locals, aimless wandering, markets, cemetaries, concerts, etc. Also, I generally hate shopping, but in Paris, I literally turn into Carrie Bradshaw. There's something about the place that makes you want to look at pretty/interesting/decadent things.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I spent all of last week in Paris (Mar 22 - 30) and had no problems at all. Our flat was only a few hundred yards from the Sorbonne in the 5th.

One day there was a big demo/semi-riot near the eiffel tower. But we we didn't even know about it until back home. And one day on the l'opentour up in Montmarte a small group -- maybe 150 students -- was marching along the center of the road acting more like a pep rally than a riot.

Also on one day there was a general strike - Versailles and some of the museums were closed. But they all honored expired museum passes the next day.

long distance trains were cancelled because of the general strike but regional trains were still running so I made it to Chartres and back.

Did see lots - maybe 25 or 30 different cars in different parts of the city w/ their windows broken. Police presence is always very overt in Paris - but more so now. I felt totally safe the entire time. The first time you see three police officers standing on the corner decked out as paramilitary w/ machine guns it may be a bit of a shock. My traveling companion was pretty nervous about that - but as I said - heavy police presence is normal in Paris.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM

If the rioting were still going on I would bail. Who needs it? I was in a city in France during demonstrations and rioting years ago, they evacuated us from our rooms through the back way as rocks were coming in the front way. We made it to our rental car and sped off, luckily, but the car behind us was tipped over. Of course with my luck, the demonstrations had started across town but made it to our hotel by mid morning.

My advice is to think it over as the time nears and you wouldn't be a wimp if you bailed, just protecting your vacation time.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I know they are supposed to have a big strike today, also, but I haven't tried to read yet what happened. But everything I've read has mainly related to transportation. I suppose the museums could close if some of those workers went on strike (haven't read about that yet), but I wouldn't see why stores would be closed. Maybe I missed that.

In any case, the main problem is transportation, train and air. I don't think going south is going to solve anything, and in fact, things are worse in other places than Paris, IMO. For one thing, they are smaller, so maybe it is more obvious, but a lot of the major rail shutdowns and things I read about occurred in cities other than Paris (like Rennes, Lyon, Aix, etc.). In fact, I think they had greater rail disruptions than in Paris. So I don't see the point of going somewhere else. This isn't just a Parisian issue, if that's why you were thinking, it is French. And at least there is a lot to do in Paris, and it's large enough that you can go other places. It might make more sense to go other places than south, and I suppose some some village would be fine, actually -- don't go anyplace with a university.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Little impact on tourism in Paris. The Metro was nearly normal during today's strikes and large demonstration. (They did close the Eiffel tower). I would come, but follow news reports, and inquire of your hotel desk, if you are staying in a hotel, about any days of protest, and the route of the march. Avoid the latter, especially the starting and ending points, and you should be fine.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM

You could reserve a car as a backup plan, schedule it for 2-3 days after you have arrived and assessed things for yourself. Then cancel it before the pickup date if you don't think you'll need it. (but don't forget to do that, or I imagine you'd be charged).
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM

"Little impact on tourism " might be wishful thinking, considering this from todays news...

<i>Strikers again shut down the Eiffel Tower, where tourists stood bewildered before the closed gates. Parisian commuters flattened themselves onto subway trains limited by the strike. Garbage bins in some Paris neighborhoods stood overflowing and uncollected by striking sanitation workers.</i>
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Oh Dear, there go our plans.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM

But Scarlet, I reported the Eiffel Tower closing in my post. Just looked out the window. No garbage overflowing on the rue du Faubourg St. Antoine. Travel should be an adventure. Nothing in life comes with an iron-clad guarantee, much we might want one.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Funny how the foreign media notice the strike so much more than those of us who live in the city. There were very few disruptions yesterday, even in public transportation.
It should be noted that the only reason that an airline like Ryanair cancelled its flights is that its fleet needs to keep moving at all times and it would disrupt many more flights in other countries if there happened to be any delay in Paris -- simple precautionary measure.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I think we'll take a wait and see attitude. With the information you all have provided, it sounds like we have a few choices... I sort of like the idea of temporarily becoming Carrie Bradshaw like as long as I know I'll revert to my normal self at some point! [Can't afford her shoe habit!]

We're going to keep an eye on the news. Hopefully, as someone suggested, the students will take a break from rioting to enjoy spring break themselves, leaving a (somewhat) peaceful Paris to us tourist types.

Thanks again, everyone, and safe journeys.

Sara
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:44 PM

from everything i've read, people i've spoken to in paris (3), the protests/strikes should have little affect on your vacation. as long as you don't get involved in the protests you sould be fine.

as for the Eiffel Tower being closed and people standing there bewildered...no offense, but seriously, they can't think of anything better to do than stand there bewildered?! especially since there are a number of other places that offer excellent views of the city, some of them (gasp!) free. some of the best things to see/do in paris don't have an admission price.

i'm still going to paris in a few days &amp; i have no qualms about it. at worst, i won't get to the foire du trone cause it's too far to walk there and back. aside from a possibly cramped metro ride, you probably won't be inconvenienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -