Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So my co-worker just got back from Italy. I go in 2 weeks & thought I had the "dress code" figured out... perhaps Len, you could help answer this?

Search

So my co-worker just got back from Italy. I go in 2 weeks & thought I had the "dress code" figured out... perhaps Len, you could help answer this?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:27 AM
Lori

I thought I had researched everything regarding the dress code in Italy - lots of black, no jeans, dressy, etc. However, my co-worker just got back from the Amalfi Coast last week and said everyone was wearing "crazy" stuff. Lots of jeans, tight Madonna-type shirts, NO OPEN-TOED shoes, etc. She said people were staring at her in her sandals and that everyone was in boots. And *not* to dress up or wear summer dresses. I will be going to Rome/Florence, will it be different here perhaps? Please help!

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:51 AM
rlk

Lori: <BR> <BR>I returned from Italy last Mon (5/14) --- spent most of my time up north (Cinque Terre area) and Tuscany. Dress code hasn't varied from what it's been for as long as I've been going to Italy (this was my 4th trip since '97). <BR> <BR>Wore my 'basic black' --- I didn't see anyone wearing what I'd describe as 'crazy' stuff. Don't worry Lori, you don't need to re-think your wardrobe. <BR> <BR>And what exactly did she mean by "tight Madonna-type shirts"?

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:52 PM
Lori

She said that everyone was wearing tight "slutty" Madonna-type t-shirts and stuff with different colors/patterns/logos. And that everyone wore boots. My co-worker is a very classy person so I can't imagine her not fitting in anywhere, but she said she felt extremely out-of-place the whole time and that everyone was staring at her, particularly since she wore sandals.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:48 AM
xx

so because others looked "slutty" thats what your worried about copying???? what am i missing here.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:14 AM
Len

Lori, don't worry about it. I was just in Positano and there was a lot of every type of style. It is an international getaway, and I saw just about every fashion there. I live in NYC so I am always having to worry about what's in and all that junk...which I hate! But in Positano I wore sandals everyday and linen everything. Shorts, shirts anything that was cool and comfortable. No one looked at me or my sister, who is very stylish, funny. There were even some wearing jeans there, so do what you want. So many people are afraid of looking "American" why? Positano probably had tourists form 50 countries there and everyone represented there cultures, we loved that. So don't worry about it and just be confident. People will respect that and probably try to follow your trend! Unless you are going there to try and find a husband, just be yourself and enjoy what you are going there for...to relax!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:18 PM
NANC

Maybe people were looking at her because <BR>she looked good. They probably went home <BR>and put on their own sandals. There <BR>are many hand made sandal stores in <BR>Sorrento and Positano, so dont worry. <BR>They are also resort towns, not big <BR>cities. Stylish is stylish and you <BR>have it or you dont. So be yourself.

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:15 AM
RO

NANC how much do a pair of sandals cost? Can you suggest some stores?

Old May 24th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Deborah

Lori, <BR> <BR>I just returned from Italy May 12 and had read on this forum that Italians don't wear jeans. They do wear jeans! In Rome, Florence, and Venice there were jeans everywhere. My husband is still peeved that I wouldn't let him pack any.

Old May 24th, 2001, 09:29 AM
DJ

Deb, <BR> <BR>That's classic. We are all lamenting on what to wear because someone said don't dress like an "ugly american" and now we are all fashion paralyzed. If you think about it, it's pretty ridiculous. I too am guilty of trying to find the "appropriate" clothes to BUY and bring (i.e, geeze, white pants aren't ok, they must be black, oh brother). After readying all these replies, particularly yours, I'll do what I think is best for me and if that includes WHITE gym shoes for my sensitive feet, oh well......

Old May 24th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Nanc

Hi Ro, in Positano you will pass <BR>a shop on your left hand side <BR>as you wind down the main shopping <BR>street to the beach. And in <BR>Sorrento there is one in the old <BR>part of town below the main street. <BR>(This is where all the good <BR>shops are, and where it is fun <BR>to walk at night when it comes alive.) <BR>I will look on my map at home. <BR>The sandals are not expensive and <BR>range from strappy sexy to boxy <BR>sensible.

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:46 AM
Patti Suttle

DJ-yeah!! Thank you!! I feel the same-"someone" (???) *decides* for US what is correct to wear on OUR vacations and what is not correct to wear. No one has said who decided the white tennis shoe paranoia. Now, "someone" decides that bowling shoes are in (saw them recently and I'll take the white tennis shoes any day!!) (I actually bought a pair of BLACK walking shoes "eccos" because I think they will go with more of my clothes-but-I would never even have thought about the white tennis shoes thing) <BR>Wear what you normally feel comfortable in, be respectful of what you wear in churches, etc. and shower daily!! <BR>Lets just all go have fun! Please!!! <BR>Patti <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:40 AM
mm

Glad to hear that sandles are OKAY! I'm going to Italy next week and just went out to Payless to buy a nice flat black sandle to wear with my dressy skirt and top for dinners, etc. <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:18 AM
mhh

My brother lives in Italy and one of their Italian friends asked his wife, "Why do you always wear the shoes of tennis?" I wouldn't be a slave to fashion, but I would leave the white tennie pumps at home! Also, only Americans wear shorts! Don't be that guy!

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:29 AM
DJ

And only the scotts wear kilts.

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Melinda

I just can't help myself-keep coming back to these what to wear posts. It's such a funny obsession-I feel schizophrenic about it. On the one hand, I just want to be comfortable and I know the Italians will view me as a tourist anyway. On the other hand, I want to fit in and not be sneered at for being an ugly American. I'm taking my usual work wear (I teach college, so my clothes are all dress casual anyway), black pants, vests, neutral knit tops, lots of scarves instead of jewelry. I found a great pair of ECCO walking shoes that look almost like black suede athletic shoes, except the top is stretch fabric so they are kind of sleek looking. I'm also taking sandals because I think your legs last longer for all day walking if you don't wear the same shoes every day. Whatever we wear, we won't look like natives unless we've bought our clothes there and don't carry any paraphernalia like cameras and maps, so really why worry?

Old May 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
JOE

i can believe you people are so worried about what to wear. no one paid your way but you; no one is going to wear the fancy shoes with the dress or skirt or shirt and pants and be uncomfortable, but you. why worry about others, and what they think. chances are you'll never see these people again. and if they are so worried about what you have on, then they are not friends. be comfortable and enjoy yourself. after all, you waited a long time for this trip. so enjoy!

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Nora

I think the idea is not to look like <BR>a frump. A frump is a frump whether <BR>on vacation or not. If you are a <BR>frump at home you will be one while <BR>you are away too. A person can dress <BR>casual and comfortable and still <BR>be stylish. But if you aren't <BR>stylish and don't want to be, then <BR>don't worry.

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Kim

Do people wear black jeans in Italy? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>Kim.

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Anon

Lori is obviously interested in "blending in" - that is why she started this post. Some people do not care, and that is their prerogative. However, debating the issue does not answer Lori's qestion! <BR> <BR>Lori - I would not buy a new wardrobe for this trip. I think your "dress code" will still serve you well in the cities you are visiting. You may not be wearing the absolute latest Italian fashion, but you will not stand out as an "ugly American." Many Italians still dress fairly conservatively in large cities, especially for business. This allows them to buy a few beautifully made things, rather than a lot of trendy stuff - a philosophy that people share in many countries, including the US!

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Capo

Anon, I agree. It's so interesting to see people berate others for asking certain questions, like what to wear (or, as in the case of the notorious "Rob", where to meet women.) <BR> <BR>If someone wanted to know where to find a McDonald's in Paris, I might wonder why -- and even perhaps ask why -- but, if I knew, I'd tell them, not chastise them for wanting to know and asking. <BR> <BR>Some people couldn't care less what they wear in Europe. That's fine. But obviously, judging by the number and frequency of questions on this topic, a lot of others <I>do</I> care about what to wear in Europe. Why berate them for asking for advice just because <I>you</I> don't feel they should care about what to wear?