Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So, just what cheeses can you bring back from Paris?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Susan

Hi, I'm going to Paris in 2 weeks and was just wondering about bringing back cheese. I know you can't bring back the soft cheeses, but what is quintessentially French that CAN be brought back, something you couldn't get in the US? We all love cheese, especially my son, who would like to live on it! Thanks.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Rex

This is a non-scientific answer, but I believe that you can possibly carry back any cheese you want. I once de-planed carrying an open lunch bag - - with very obviously open, pungent cheeses, and I was sent over to see the Dept of Agriculture agent. She looked through my lunch bag, set the cheeses out, found an apple that had been part of the snack the airline gave me, and said - - I'm going to have to keep this apple. Put everything back in the bag, and sent me on. I asked if I needed to set any of my bags on their (X-ray?) detector machine(s) - - knowing full well that there were 14 bottles of wine in there. And she just waved me on, and said, "no, go on, you're done".

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:30 PM
elvira

France has over 600 cheeses, so the quintesstial will neeever happen!

I would suggest you start at the food market in one of the department stores with their huge assortment. Find something that doesn't look familiar at all, and ask for a taste. You could do the same in a fromagerie, but you might not have as much luck finding someone who speaks English (all of this is moot if you speak French). Bring ziplock bags! The cheese will smell and "sweat" after a couple of hours at room temp. To go all out, you could bring one of those blue packs you freeze for ice chests, ask the hotel to freeze it (or put it in the minibar) and pack the cheese with that.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Susan

Thanks for the input. I think maybe I'll go to Le Bon Marche on our last day and check out the food market there. And yes, I do plan to have some ziploc bags! Isn't that mandatory? Actually, I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for them!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Scott

Possibly you should consider stopping in at the Dept of Agriculture office in the airport on the way out of the country to find out for certain. They'll be the same people stopping you on the way back into the country, so presumably they'll know the "real" rules. There have been changes since the prominent appearance of foot and mouth disease in Europe.

Scott

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:13 AM
elvira

USDA website has a download of the brochure for travelers.

GENERAL LIST OF APPROVED PRODUCTS
Cheeses, fully cured (but not cottage cheese)

Hey that list includes MUSHROOMS...and fresh flowers!!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:54 AM
pasquale

Last year we bought lots of Swiss cheeses and packed them between our clothes for insulation, knowing that most of our flight would be cold in the cargo department even though on landing in Texas the temperature was 111º. We unpacked as soon as we got home and it was fine and delicious. We did not buy soft cheeses. I also carried a Mother's Day bouquet of 2 dozen huge roses which I'd started drying before we left. Only 3 buds fell off!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:13 AM
StCirq

You can buy a large selection of French cheeses right at CDG airport, and they will pack them properly for you right there. I've usually found that's a lot easier than carting cheeses to the airport with all my luggage.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Susan

Scott, If I can find the Dept of Agriculture at JFK, I will do as you suggest. And St Cirq, that sounds like the easiest way yet! Thanks for the info.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:37 PM
mary

i came back fron paris with reblochon cheese--mmm-i can't wait to get more. anyway we came thru customs at boston and that dog sat down right by my bag. i told his handler "oh he smells my cheese"
i had been eating it on the flight home- and the guy laughed and said ok and let me get thru w/o stopping at agriculture desk. btw i will definitely not eat my cheese on the way home- it was pretty aromatic!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Gretchen

As St. Cirq said, we bought cheese at CDG and claimed it coming through Dept. of Ag station with no problem. This was in March at the height of the hoof and mouth outbreak

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Kate

We bought cheese at CDG airport as well (a lovely Reblochon & another one...can't remember.) I had it in my duffle bag. When we landed, I had taken my duffle bag down from the overhead to place my book back into it & a huge wafting odor of cheese burst out when I opened up the duffle. There were two women behind me waiting to deplane & one said to the other, "OOO la la, la fromage de Paris!!!!) - with wrinkled noses I might add!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:12 AM
JD

SUSAN - you can go to a cheese shop and ask them to pack the cheese in a vacuum bag for travel - many of the shops in paris will do this for you, some even advertise it - my husband and i always bring cheese back this way from paris - we get it the day of departure (if you have to get it the night before, ask the hotel to refrigerate it for you if you do not have a refrigerator in your room - DO NOT FREEZE IT!!!!!!!!) - i also have one word for you: CANTAL - the cheese is so good and is not exported to the US due to some regional squabble - it is a hard cheese, drier than cheddar - SOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:14 AM
JD

oh, another thing - we usually then put the cheese we buy in a separate check on bag (we bring a backpack for this purpose) so it goes under the plane where it is cold - the airlines have never lost the luggage with the cheese, thank goodness!!!!!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Susan

Thanks for these additional tips. So now I have to try at least Reblochon and Cantal! Guess I'll try many over the week we're there and then decide what to get the last day to bring back. Only 12 days to go!