Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   So is May 1st a lost cause in Rome for doing anything? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/so-is-may-1st-a-lost-cause-in-rome-for-doing-anything-347005/)

dutyfree Apr 20th, 2008 09:09 PM

So is May 1st a lost cause in Rome for doing anything?

I am trying to decide if I should swap my Rome trip to a South American trip as I have some friends who told me that nothing would be open on May 1st in Rome? I know its a holiday all over Europe but was hoping for some restaurants and grocery stores to be open. Anyone know?

LoveItaly Apr 20th, 2008 09:44 PM

Hi dutyfree, you will find some restaurants open..as you know Rome is always full of tourist. But I am almost positive that museums etc., will be closed for the holiday. Not sure about grocery stores but imagine they will probably be closed. There will no doubt be some parades, speeches etc. Not your cup of tea I would think. Rome is a great city to walk around in, the Borghese Park is a beautiful place to visit. But you know Rome so well I believe. If your only worry is restaurants that wouldn't concern me.

dutyfree Apr 21st, 2008 05:59 AM

Thanks LoveItaly-just gotta make sure that I get my calamari and wine!!!Otherwise,I might as well go to Shreveport?

annhig Apr 21st, 2008 06:02 AM

hi dutyfree,

on our recent trip to Venice, i was very surprised that almost nothing shut on easter sunday - not even the Doge's palace.

the basilica was only shut to tourists in the morning while the major services were on and the major museums were all open.

so IMO it would be well worth doing a search of sights you may want to see to find out what may be open on May 1st.

regards, ann

dorkforcemom Apr 21st, 2008 09:36 AM

Hello dutyfree,
We've taken 3 vacations which coincided with being in Rome on May 1. The Colosseum was open, restaurants were open, many streets closed off to vehicular traffic as many people were out strolling. Actually, while it was crowded (when in Rome is it not?), it didn't cramp our style as we used that day to go through the Colosseum (again), wander through the Forum, and (of course) eat outside. The azaleas were all over the Spanish Steps - it was glorious. I wouldn't discourage you from going to Rome May 1. The transportation from the train station was not pleasant - many people arriving for the holiday weekend. A taxi driver told us that buses were on holiday schedule but that didn't impact us as we weren't taking the bus anyway. Hope this helps...

danon Apr 21st, 2008 09:46 AM

we'll be in Rome on
May the 1st but I am not worried. One can always visit St. Peter's (again), stroll around the Forum, have a picnic in one of the many beautiful parks ( Villas) etc.
When in Rome....

helen_belsize Apr 21st, 2008 10:02 AM

May 1st is also Ascension Day this year, don't know what impact that may have.

NaxosTravels Apr 21st, 2008 10:07 AM

I always treat holidays where museums are closed as a travelling treat - no sites and "things that must be done" - plenty of time to walk, picture take and explore...it forces you to see the city itself.

dutyfree Apr 21st, 2008 10:27 AM

Naxos-I go to Rome quite frequently every month so the tourist things are not what I was concerned about. A few of my Italian speaker friends with the airlines randomly told me that everything including all stores,restaurants and even little coffee shops would be closed on May 1st(maybe because of Ascension Day too along with being May Day?). I was just concerned about my eating activities-I wouldn't want one of my thighs to lose any inches!!!Thanks!