Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   So I want to spend some retirement %%% now.. because who knows? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/so-i-want-to-spend-some-retirement-now-because-who-knows-982964/)

sueciv Jun 25th, 2013 10:17 AM

So I want to spend some retirement %%% now.. because who knows?

So? I'm returning to my beloved France. Nice I think this tme. Found air aares for just over $1000 and a nice Nice apartment. Three years of grief and being afraid ... well,I choose just not to live that way. The first week in November might give me fairly nice weather...Not touching the 401K, just part of my late husband's insurance proceeds.
I hope you wish me Bon Voyage! Not why would you risk your old age funding.

sueciv Jun 25th, 2013 10:18 AM

ah...that would be $$$ ... sheesh. I got so excited to have PLANS that I mistyped.

29FEB Jun 25th, 2013 10:33 AM

Good for you, Sue!
And Bon Voyage too~

Vicky Jun 25th, 2013 10:50 AM

You go! On my recent trip to Nice and surrounding towns, my friend and I were at the station in Grasse waiting for our bus back to Cannes. We met a lady there who had rented an apartment near Grasse for a couple months. She was an older woman, alone, who had bought a car and will be selling it hwen she leaves in July. It is something I would love to do, rent an apartment and have time to explore alot more of the area.

hetismij2 Jun 25th, 2013 11:01 AM

Good for you! I hope you have a great trip.

Vicky, on a side note - I'd be interested to know how the woman managed to insure a car in France as a non resident.

cathies Jun 25th, 2013 11:23 AM

Good for you. Enjoy and don't forget to write a trip report.

kerouac Jun 25th, 2013 11:25 AM

I hope you have a great time. The fear was unnecessary, the grief inevitable.

wanttogo Jun 25th, 2013 11:57 AM

How did you find the apartment? I am curious because we are hoping to do this next year.

You know yourself better than anyone else does. It is obvious that the time is right for you to go!
I think you have made a good choice for yourself in Nice-a lovely smaller city with many interesting
Sights. try to remember to write a trip report when you return.

Pat

Dukey1 Jun 25th, 2013 12:04 PM

Why not? You wait and then you die! ENJOY this trip.

stevewith Jun 25th, 2013 12:19 PM

Bon Voyage!

You will find the food in France so flavorful and the wine so cheap, it will be easy to enjoy simple meals that don't cost much at all.

Stock markets and the euro go up and down, beyond any ability to plan. Your plan sounds low risk and sensible to me. Any moment you feel the ghost of a guilty conscience, get rid of it by studying 15 minutes of French.

Enjoy every croissant.

ira Jun 25th, 2013 12:36 PM

Bon voyage Sue

adrienne Jun 25th, 2013 01:30 PM

I agree Sue - why wait for when you're immobile or have health problems. Spend some of it now and enjoy your life!!!

My outlook is: will the money I spend on this trip change my lifestyle (if I didn't spend the money). The answer is always no and I so love the memories of my trips and enjoy looking at my photos and reliving the trip.

Underhill Jun 25th, 2013 02:08 PM

Have a wonderful trip. You will love the time you spend in my favorite part of the world.

elberko Jun 25th, 2013 03:39 PM

Yes, who knows...enjoy now!

~Liz

kybourbon Jun 25th, 2013 03:54 PM

Good for you!

thursdaysd Jun 25th, 2013 04:10 PM

Have a wonderful trip! I took early retirement so I could travel before I got too decrepit, so I'm all in favor! I really liked Nice, and it makes a great base - click on my name for my eastern France TR starting in Nice.

SharonG Jun 25th, 2013 04:29 PM

Wonderful idea. Keep us posted

justineparis Jun 26th, 2013 06:25 AM

Bon Voyage,, I think its a great idea.. no one is guaranteed tomorrow so enjoy each day as it comes... tomorrow takes care of it self( hey I am too am not advocating reckless blowing of savings, but letting a little go )