Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   So I don't speak Spanish, although.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/so-i-dont-speak-spanish-although-971224/)

Alice9 Mar 20th, 2013 08:59 AM

So I don't speak Spanish, although....

I AM trying to learn some basic phrases. My previous traveling has usually been in places where I have SOME language skills (I can get by in French, German and Hebrew), or didn't have too much trouble learning (Italy). I'm working on Spanish (using Livemocha and some other freebie stuff on the web), but I'm also reading that in southern Spain, I might not find as much English. Is this true?

I find I really mostly need common phrases ("where's the bathroom?" "can I have the check, please?" would be numbers 1 and 2) and then menu/coffee shop/bar vocab. (Google Translate on my phone is a godsend).

Should I be okay? Any recommendations of good sources of phrases and vocab I'll really need?

Thanks as always,
Alice

yorkshire Mar 20th, 2013 09:08 AM

I found English to be less widely spoken in Spain than anywhere else I have traveled. If you continue to do what you are doing, you'll be fine. I also like to be prepared for the interactions I'll most likely encounter (hotel check-in, transportation, and restaurants). If you speak Italian you should find helpful similarities.

Christina Mar 20th, 2013 09:39 AM

I didn't notice the difference in pervasiveness of English in southern Spain versus northern Spain, if that is your question (I don't really understand what you are asking). Less English than where?

IN any case, there are zillions of Brits who vacation in Spain and lots of them don't know a word of Spanish.

Robert2533 Mar 20th, 2013 09:58 AM

If you speak a little French, then picking up some basic words in Spanish shouldn't be that difficult. You'll also find a lot of signage in both Spanish and English.

Asking for the check in French would be 'le addition, s'il vous plaît', in Spain it can be 'la cuenta, por favor' or more often "me cobra, por favor" when out and about.

Pick up a good phrasebook and take it with you should you need to refer to it, but overall, you shouldn't have any problem making yourself understood. Most Spaniards will go out of their way to be helpful if you at least say hola or buenas días when staring a conversation.

The biggest issue you will encounter will be leaving, or not leaving a tip. Spaniards seldom tip, it's not part of the culture. But when they do they seldom leave more than a few Euros for a big lunch or dinner, and loose change if standing at the bar having tapas and a glass of wine or a beer. Look around at the locals and see what they do when leaving the table.

sofarsogood Mar 20th, 2013 10:13 AM

If you're visiting areas and using services geared towards overseas travellers then you won't have many problems. A combination of a few basic words and sign language works wonders. French and Italian have similarities to Spanish, but not always.

If you can access this site, there are some useful phrases

www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/quickfix/

BigRuss Mar 20th, 2013 11:58 AM

What is your concern? My wife and I could navigate Japan (outside Tokyo) without any knowledge of Japanese or any other language of the Orient and no ability to read it and you're worried about Spain? In Japan, there are a lot fewer Brits with vacation homes by the beach than there are in Spain and the alphabet is just a bit different.

You already know some French and Italian? Spanish is far easier than either (only four ways to say "the" unlike Italian's seven; far fewer contractions than Italian; all the letters of a word are voiced, unlike French, etc.).

This is worrying just to worry. If you're in cities or touristy areas, there will be a lot of people who speak some form of English.

yorkshire Mar 20th, 2013 12:11 PM

I don't see any hand wringing from the OP. A lot of us just like to try to communicate in the local language--it does not mean that it is necessary.

Alice9 Mar 20th, 2013 01:55 PM

Thanks, sofarsogood, I have found the BBC site, and am using that. It's not that I don't think we'll manage, of course we will. But I feel like it's polite to at least TRY to speak the local language (I was a complete failure in China, but that was HARD).

And I do like to visit non-touristy places and in particular, eat at non-touristy restaurants, so menus are a big deal. Even with decent French, I had to use my Google Translate some because while I know how to say fish, I don't know all the species! Much less all the ways to cook things. So I'm still looking for a good place to practice menu Spanish (can you tell eating is a big deal on our trips?).

Robert2533, thanks for the info about tipping, I usually check into that before a trip, and I hadn't yet.

All useful information, thanks very much.

Alice

annhig Mar 20th, 2013 02:05 PM

I would beg borrow or steal [ok, perhaps not the latter] a copy of Michel Thomas's learn spanish tape or CD.

just excellent, because it gives you the grammar [in a very gentle way] so that you can ask not just for 3 apples or two pears, but also you have a fighting chance of understanding the answer.

Alice9 Mar 20th, 2013 04:21 PM

Thanks, annhig, I will see if I can find it.

StCirq Mar 20th, 2013 05:08 PM

Alice, I spent a gazillion years studying Latin, French, and Italian (and Russian and Arabic and Danish and German, but that's irrelevant), and not a single minute studying Spanish, and when we started driving down into Spain from our house in the Dordogne I expected to be very language-challenged, especially since we normally headed into Catalan-speaking territory. Surprisingly, I had very few problems, whether in Spanish-speaking or Catalan-speaking territory. The cognates are the same for the most part. If you have any affinity for languages and already speak some Italian and French (Spanish is way simpler than either in most respects), you'll likely be fine after a day or so of listening and reading signs, menus, etc. I was. It's good that you are eager to speak the language. Look into the BBC online language courses and www.travlang.com, where you can hear people speaking and practice.

Debbielynn Mar 20th, 2013 05:37 PM

I like the rick steves phrase books- very useful on my travels.

Ackislander Mar 21st, 2013 02:14 AM

Like St Cirq, I have learned to read and to a degree speak what I call Mediterranean.

It is a blend of Romance languages that with a few hilarious exceptions seems to work from the Spanish-Portugese border all the way through Istria. Oddly, things like Provençal and Occitan are easier than the classic forms of French and Catalan except for all the xes is easier than Castilian. Portugese is impossible, though I am surrounded at home with Portugese language radio stations.

People love, really love, to talk about their languages, and simply asking how one says something in the local language can lead to fascinating discussions, especially if you are able to say, "Oh, that's very similar to French" or whatever.

It's an adventure not a threat!

Alice9 Mar 21st, 2013 09:12 AM

StCirq, thanks so much, you were very helpful on our trip to the Dordogne LAST year! Also, I hadn't found the travlang site yet, so I will add it to my list.

I'm good but not GREAT with languages, but in the little bit of time I've spent studying, it all seems vaguely familiar, almost what I'd guess it would be. I also always learn to say "more slowly, please", and "can you write it down?". Oh and "I want this" and "I want that". "How much does it cost" is somehow lower on the list!

You have all made me feel quite relieved, the Romance languages are very similar. German is harder (even though I had studied it YEARS ago), it's those 3 genders and the verb at the end of the sentence that kills me.

And Ackislander, I DO see it as an adventure, I see travel as a whole an adventure, and that's what I love about it!

Thanks to ALL.
Alice

dwdvagamundo Mar 21st, 2013 09:18 AM

My spouse and I traveled in southern Spain successfully for a couple of weeks with no Spanish. Only at mealtimes was this a problem, even with a dictionary we ended up with some very strange food. In northern Spain (i.e. Basque Country), the people don't want to speak Spanish, but Basque.

Robert2533 Mar 21st, 2013 07:24 PM

"In northern Spain (i.e. Basque Country) the people don't want to speak Spanish, but Basque". Sorry, but most of the Basque I know are fluent in English, and everyone speaks Spanish, but only about 30% actually speak Euskara, the language of the Basque speakers, fluently.

Most of those who do speak Euskara are from the older generation (there are seven Basque dialects) or are learning it (www.buber.net/Basque/Euskara/) in school today. It's the oldest spoken language and one of the most difficult linguistically in the west.

amer_can Mar 21st, 2013 07:41 PM

Robert2533..I have run into the same/similar English speaking Basque folks. Had no trouble there or else where in Spain.. Many. many handle English with ease and get a kick out of the "Tijuana Spanish" that I could produce. I guess the vaudville mantra "always leave 'em laughing" certainly applied to me. But I did/will try to improve if and when I have another visit.

annhig Mar 22nd, 2013 10:23 AM

when i german speak, the verb at the end of the sentence not so much of a problem I find.

LSky Mar 22nd, 2013 10:37 AM

annhig is right about Michel Thomas.

He was a wonderful teacher and I'm happy his cds are still around. I'm listening to his Speak French today :)

(My local library carries them, yours may also)

Lindsayinspain Mar 22nd, 2013 10:38 AM

Alice9 some of us who have lived here years and are fluent still dont understand the fish menu, you just get to remember which ones you like even if you havent a clue what you are eating in English! I am sure you will be fine, sometimes its harder to make a little effort because they then come back at ten to the dozen with a tirade in a thick Andaluz accent. Generally in the "resorts" and more touristy towns inland you will find a lot of patience from the locals, but not so in the pueblos so that's when sign language works a treat ;)