Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So. Germany/Salzburg trip report (con't)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:23 PM
ellen

From Garmisch visited Linderhof, Ettal, Oberammergau, Mittenwald (with cable car trip to nearby mountain peak). I had some time to drive to Innsbruck - the scenery was beautiful but the town wasn't worth it, in my opinion. Next day went to Neuschwanstein (I climbed the footpath to get to the castle, and contrary to what some people have said on this board, I found it quite a strenuous walk - and I'm in decent condition. The altitude left me gasping for oxygen.) Drive along the Plansee to get there, if you can - beautiful mountain lake. Stopped at the Wieskirche on way back up Romantic Road to Rothenberg. Rothenberg, though full of tourists, is a great place to visit. Don't miss the Night Watchman's tour leaving from the Marktplatz at 8:00 each night. The Kloster Steuble hotel was very nice for the price with a good restaurant and convenient location. <BR> <BR>Stopped in Heidelberg for a few hours on way to Rhine. Take the funicular to the castle above the city - great views. First night on Rhine stayed at Hotel Landsknecht outside St. Goar. Right on river, eat in the outdoor restaurant and watch the barge traffic with view of castle. Next day took short boat ride, was cloudy with a few showers so a short ride was enough. Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar is fun to visit. Bacharach is worth a visit and the Roman ruins in Boppard are interesting. Finally, on last full day, drove along the Mosel River for a bit and then went to Burg Eltz, a wonderful castle which is a must-see if you are in the area. <BR> <BR>A couple of random observations: the autobahn is not a big deal - just stay on the right when not passing. The two-lane roads are actually more dangerous, in my opinion, with impatient drivers risking head-on collisions to get around slow-moving vehicles. And it is possible to drive a rental car by yourself. Lacking a navigator makes it a bit more difficult but it is doable. Also, I noticed on my credit card statements that my Chase Mastercard charged a transaction fee each time I used it - usually a bit less than $2, but my Credit Union Visa didn't charge such a fee. Also, ATMs are everywhere - never had a problem getting cash. <BR> <BR>I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:33 AM
John

Hi Ellen: <BR> <BR>Great trip! I agree with everything you said, especially the autobahn..not big deal..if you are careful! I have relatives in Hall (just above Innsbruck) and I also found Innsbruck a bit too "city-like" The climb to Neuschwanstein is tough for most people and I am glad you pointed that out! Did you make it to the "Marionbruck"? I never been to Rhine but I plan on going this fall! What areas are the "must see" and Must stay in that area?

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:00 PM
ellen

John, I guess I missed Marionbruck (sp?). What and where is it? On the Rhine, do take a boat ride - it doesn't have to be a long one but it's a different perspective than from the road. Visit Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar and stay at Auf Schoenburg, the hotel in a castle in Oberwesel. I didn't mention it, but their restaurant is also excellent. I also think it's worth spending some time along the Mosel River, and I highly recommend a visit to Burg Eltz.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:13 PM
wes fowler

Ellen, <BR>After touring Neuschwanstein, if you walk up the Pollat gorge, you'll find the Marienbrucke, the bridge that spans the gorge. From there you can look down on Neuschwanstein castle, a most impressive view.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:17 PM
ellen

Of course, now I remember. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to climb all the way before my appointed tour time. And honestly, I was so winded from the climb I'm not sure I would have had the energy!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Mike

Agree with your comments. We liked Germany and Austria more than we expected. About Rothenburg: we loved it, too. Go early to the Night Watchman's Tour and talk to the other people waiting. It's fun to meet folks from all over, and almost all speak English. <BR> <BR>Spend the night at Castle Colmburg if you can. It is only 20-30 minutes east of Rothenburg. It's a real castle with the walls etc -- really neat. The restaurant is very good; serves boar and venison raised on the property. For only a little more, we stayed in the Furstenzimmer ("Prince's Room"). Really cool to look out on "your" domain from one of the towers.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 02:04 PM
ellen

Enjoyed reading your trip, because in early August my husband and I are doing something very similar exploring Germany and Austria. We are staying one night at Schloss Schoenburg, did you stay there? We are spending one night in Rothenburg and will take the night watchman tour and then its on to Nueschwanstein. When you say the hike was stenuous, about how long did it take <BR>to climb? I think I am in fairly decent shape. We then drive to Salzburg and was thinking of stopping in Innsbruck on the way, but now may decide to skip it, any other suggestions. We have two days in Salzburg and then we go on to Munich where we fly home from.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:26 PM
wilt

My wife and I found Castle Colmburg very enchanting as well. We stayed in the 'knight's room'. I've been to Germany a number of times on both business and pleasure, and had been to Rothemburg a couple of times, and found it charming. But my wife and I stopped first in Dinkelsbuehl, also a medieval town and not overrun with tourists. After Dinkelsbuehl, Rothemburg was ho-hum in comparison!