So excited--I'm going back to Italy!

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So excited--I'm going back to Italy!

Okay, so I have to share my excitement!

I have been playing around on Delta's website for a while and finally found FF tickets for my Italy trip next year. I can't believe it, but I got my ticket for 50k miles. (Just for the heck of it I checked them again and they are back up to 100k miles.) I fly PNS-ATL-MXP and home VCE-ATL-PNS.

Here's my intinerary:
April 29- Leave Pensacola
April 30- Arrive Milan and head to Bellagio
May 1 Bellagio
May 2 Bellagio
May 3 Bellagio
May 4 Head to Venice
May 5 Venice
May 6 Venice
May 7 Home

Based on reviews here I've booked La Limonera in Bellagio and Corte Grimani in Venice.

I am really looking forward to visiting this part of Italy. Now if someone could figure out a way to make April get here sooner...

Johanna

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Good for you Gracie! I wish I could go again right away.

It sounds like you have not visited these areas before, so I would highly recommend redistributing your days. I would take a day from Bellagio and add it to Venice.

2.5 days at Como would be enough for me, and only 2 days is NOT enough for Venice.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle

Yes, this will be my first time in Northern Italy. On past trips I have been to Rome, Florence, Capri and Sicily.

I did think about taking a day from Bellagio and adding it to Venice. I thought that since the first day will be so full, (flying in, being jet lagged and having to get from MXP to the hotel in Bellagio) that it would be nice to have a few days to relax, visit some of the villas and soak in the views.

However, the more trip reports I read and pictures I see of Venice, I think maybe it would be a good idea to add an extra day. I can't make up my mind.

Johanna
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I agree about giving Venice another day.

You will be in Bellagio at the perfect time to enjoy all the rhodadendrons and azaleas at Villa Carlotta!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dayle and ellenem for the suggestion.

Do you think there is not enough to do in Bellagio for three days?

Johanna
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Bellagio is a relaxing spot. You take the little ferry boats between towns and visit villas and gardens. Maybe a little hike up into the hills. And there are water sports on the lake, but I don't know how much of that is going on in early May.

There is more to do in Venice, including excursions to Murano and Burano plus some mainland cities like Vicenza.

So it all depends on what kind of vacation you want. Both are relatively lowkey tourist destinations. That is, no long list of must-sees, just enjoy the views and atmosphere.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Lake Como was one of our best vacations in Europe. Belliago was really wonderful. We also liked Varenna (2 beautiful villas to tour) and Mennagio. Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo was also stunning. Didn't like Como.
One of our best dinners in all of Italy(view and food) was at "Al Velue" on a hill overlooking the lake above Tremezzo. Ciao!!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Most of May 4 will be taken up with travelng from Bellagio to Venice, arriving there and finding your hotel. I think once you're home you'll wish you had more than just two full days there since as others have mentioned, there is more to do, more to explore, and it's like nowhere else in the world.