Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   So. Cal Foders Dinner Party??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/so-cal-foders-dinner-party-384842/)

Calamari Dec 28th, 2003 09:39 PM

So. Cal Foders Dinner Party???

Has there ever been one? Is anyone interested in having one?

Natalia Dec 28th, 2003 10:47 PM

Yes there was one last year at the Disney complex, we had alot of fun and shared photo albums and adventure stories.
Mina (Crazy Mina) planned and hosted it, we should plan another one, there were about 10 of us there.

Calamari Dec 29th, 2003 10:34 AM

One response?! I'm disappointed to the core!

Marilyn Dec 29th, 2003 10:56 AM

Calamari, I would suggest topping this for a few days to be sure people see it. Also might want to post on the US board if you haven't already. If response is still light, maybe wait til after the holidays -- a lot of people are away or too busy to check the boards.

If the timing just happened to be right, I would love to attend.

Iregeo Dec 29th, 2003 12:29 PM

Count me in! I'll also help organize if there's interest.

maitaitom Dec 29th, 2003 12:53 PM

I can taste the mai tais already.
Hopefuly I'll be in town.
((H))

artlover Dec 29th, 2003 02:45 PM

DH has a conference down there soon...if the timing's right might give me a reason to tag along and stop by...

Go for it!

Calamari Dec 29th, 2003 06:09 PM

I am in San Diego. What would be a good "central" location? Irvine? Newport Beach? L.A. (yuck)?

Calamari Dec 29th, 2003 06:10 PM

Can we all pool our frequent flier miles and send Ira, Degas & Scarlett out for the festivities???

annesherrod Dec 29th, 2003 06:16 PM

I am envious. Are there ever get togethers in the midwest?

wren Dec 29th, 2003 06:38 PM

I'm jealous too. I wish there was one down here in Florida!!

ohblondie Dec 29th, 2003 09:53 PM

I'd like to come if I am in town, I will be in Italy and So. France a few times before Fall, but I would love to meet Fodorites.

How about the Spectrum in Irvine? Isn't there a nice Italian restaurant there?

Calamari Dec 29th, 2003 09:58 PM

Ohblondie - Yes, it is Il Fornaio.

maitaitom Dec 29th, 2003 10:50 PM

"Il Fornaio"

Come on, we can do better than a chain with little to offer but overpriced and bland meals. And Calamari, although I am a diehard San Diego fan in sports (SDSU grad and die with my Padres...almost literally) and love SD, there are a lot of great places in the Los Angeles area, too. Let's find a fun, unique place somewhere in So. Cal (whether in SD, LA area or even behind the Orange Curtain) that has some flavor to it.
((H))

Natalia Dec 29th, 2003 10:56 PM

Maitai, the Ritz Carlton?
There is that other extravagant hotel near the Ritz, but I am boycotting them because they seized so much land from the wildlife refuge.
Newport Beach?
Laguna?

maitaitom Dec 30th, 2003 05:05 AM

My wife and I spent a weekend in
Laguna with some friends last year. There are quite a few cool restaurants. I'd be up for that.
((H))

Treesa Dec 30th, 2003 08:43 AM

I vote for Laguna. I live in San Diego (University City). Perhaps Calamari and I could carpool. I think there are some other Fodorites here. What about living it up and hiring a limo? I'm feeling reckless today.

cristiana Dec 30th, 2003 03:41 PM

Wow, I didn't know there were so many San Diegans. I'm another one, albeit on the eastern edge in Rancho San Diego.

Maitaitom, as a State grad, out of curiousity, how do you stand on the mascot issue?

Calamari Dec 30th, 2003 06:04 PM

Maitai -
I love the food at Il Fornaio Del Mar & at the Irvine Spectrum. Did you know that all of their chefs are all Italians? You are entitled to your opinion and since you are a star here, we will keep looking for a great place that will suit your standards, but you better show up! Do you have any possibilies in mind? I am ashamed to say that I can only think of chain restaurants at the moment...

Natalia Dec 30th, 2003 10:23 PM

Calamari, I had a nice dinner at the Irvine Sprectrum in that Italian restaurant where you can sit outside. I had some delicious calamari (no relation I hope) and pasta.

I don't remember it being Il Fornaio at the time, this was a few years ago.

I think the area is centrally located for LA and SD and in between. I hope Art is feeling better by then and can join us. I think Mina posted a while back that she was spending the holidays in Australia, so she should check in soon.