Snow in Spain in April?

Feb 15th, 2001, 06:02 AM
André

Snow in Spain in April?

My wife to be and I are planning to honeymoon in Spain during April. I have spent a winter in Sweden (enough snow for anyone!), but she has never really experienced Alpine type mountains and snow. (We are South Africans). We will spend a few days in the Pyrenees. I know that they still ski at the resorts at that time, but often that snow is generated artificially and it being Holy week the resorts will probably be filled with Spaniards taking a break.

Can anyone recommend somewhere (away from the tourist hungry ski resorts), were we can still find some snow? Is there any chance of it still actually snowing somewhere?

Feb 15th, 2001, 06:24 AM
miguel

Well, it is true that the Holy Week (this year 12-16 April) almost everything will be booked in advance, so, if you decide to spend those days, you should do the same. Anyway, the Eastern Week (the next one), as most of the people is at work again -except students- everything is much cheaper than the previous days.
About snow? Can't know. In fact this year the holy week is quite late, but I have skied in April on the Pyrenees. It depends on the weather. At the top of the mountains it will be snow, and if it cold, it will be even lower, if not, you might have beautiful sunny days to see the Pyrenees and maybe, even ski. Anyway, usually there is more snow at the French Pyrenees than in Spain, since that is the north face of the mountain-chain. But, the best -and most expensive, obviously- ski resort on the Pyrenees is undoubtely Baqueira Beret, on the Aran Valley, Catalonia -Spanish State. The valley itself has also a lot of places to visit. You can also go to Andorra. In Central Pyrenees -Aragon-, Ordesa Valley is beautiful, and at the other site of the border, in France, Gavarnie is a great place, too, with nearing ski resorts. As you go to the east, mountains are smaller, you have a couple of ski resorts but you can reach the Basque Country, and know all their culture.

Feb 15th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Pedro

Aran and Bohí valleys in Catalonia and Ordesa and Tena valleys in Aragon are maybe interesting options for what you seem to be looking for. It depends on the weather because sometimes it snows late April but within normal conditions you will have to go up a bit to get snow. Maybe 2000-2100 metres. Sierra Nevada in Granada is incredible right now, but I guess by that time the scenery may have changed.