Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sneem or Kinsale? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sneem-or-kinsale-41657/)

Jennifer Apr 5th, 1999 05:40 PM

Sneem or Kinsale?

Hi! Two questions: <BR>1) Would you choose Sneem or Kinsale to stay in for one night? Do you know of any clean and economical B&Bs (under US$50 for one night)? <BR>2) Is it better to travel from Dublin west to Galway or from Dublin south to Kilkenny first? We have six days and will probably make a loop, starting in Dublin, then off to Kilkenny, Sneem or Kinsale, Galway, then back to Dublin. <BR>Thanks for your help!

JOAN DOYLE Apr 5th, 1999 05:50 PM

Dear Jennifer: Personally I'd head for Kenmare (and contact the Irish Tourist Board for a copy of their excellent list of B&Bs before you leave). Kinsale is more of a city than Sneem; but Kenmare is better than either and is blessed with a number of first class restaurants . Hope you have a good trip. Joan

JOAN DOYLE Apr 5th, 1999 05:51 PM

Dear Jennifer: Personally I'd head for Kenmare (and contact the Irish Tourist Board for a copy of their excellent list of B&Bs before you leave). Kinsale is more of a city than Sneem; but Kenmare is better than either and is blessed with a number of first class restaurants . Hope you have a good trip. Joan

marc Apr 6th, 1999 09:45 AM

Dear Jennifer, <BR> <BR>I would suggest Sneem over Kinsale. Sneem is charming and has a definite Irish flavour. Kinsale is quite large, and depending on the time of year, absolutely mad with tourists. The suggestion above is a good one, Kenmare is grand,but I found the restaurants on the pricey side. As for your other question, I would go from Dublin to Kilkenny. That's the route I took. I went to Glendalough to see the monastic ruins in the Wicklow mountains, and then took a lovely, windy route through the Vale of Clara (I think it was called), and through all kinds of picturesque towns until I reached Kilkenny. Kilkenny is idyllic - there's a B& B called Lacken House on Dublin road, but I don't remember the price. And there's a craft centre across from Kilkenny Castle with the most amazing little restaurant on the upper floor. Wish I was going!

Carolyn Apr 7th, 1999 10:14 PM

Jennifer, my Husband and I took our first trip to Ireland last Fall. We had 2 weeks, driving and doing B&Bs. We spent our last night in Kinsale. We loved it. There are astounding views of Kinsale Harbor, especially if you drive up the hill. We wished we had made more time for this town. I don't think it's "big". It is busy and touristy. This didn't bother us. Just a note- we did find that we had planned too many stops on our journey. We changed our itinerary to a more leisurely pace. Even so, we drove 800 miles! We saw a lot, and loved it, but it started to blur after a while. I'd suggest picking 2 or 3 spots to explore, or at least spend more than one night in each place. A home base from which to take day trips is one idea. In six nights, you'll just get started! We started in Dublin for 4 nights, and were so ready to leave the noise and crowds by the end of it! There are great sights, though. If you're into museums, the National Museum is fantastic! We took a bus trip to Newgrange from Dublin. Again, if you like antiquities, this is a must. We drove down to Kilkenny, then across half the country to Connemara. Distances are very deceptive if you're driving! 200 miles may sound like a short trip, but it isn't on the Irish roads. With the left-side driving and often poor and/or narrow roads, the going is slow. We drove back down South to Killarney, Dingle, Kinsale. We're going back this Fall, and hope to be more leisurely. Probably won't happen, as there is still so much to see! I suggest you read a lot and choose your destinations carefully. You might enjoy more time in one place versus a frantic race to see everything in six days. I'll bet you go back again, and might have more time. I think I'd have to stay there six months to see all I'd like! Have fun; it's a glorious country.

Jennifer Apr 8th, 1999 04:20 AM

Jennifer, <BR>I agree with Carolyn re Kinsale vs. Sneem. Kinsale is busier than Sneem, but I persoally would prefer that. Sneem is a neat little place, but too quiet for me. Kenmare is nice, but very touristy i.e. that's where all the tour buses stay for overnights,etc. I think Kinsale is nice compromise between Sneem and Kenmare. Enjoy your trip! <BR>Elsa

Jennifer Apr 8th, 1999 05:23 PM

Thanks to everyone for your great advice!