SNCF - Printed the Tickets, Now What?

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNCF - Printed the Tickets, Now What?

Used Morgan's guide to print our train tickets from Rouen to Paris. No problems - thank you!!!! Now a couple of (probably dumb) questions:

1. Now that I have the paper tickets - not sure if that's all we need? Show them at the ticket window? Morgan's Guide said tickets printed by SNCF must be validated but I was taking this to the ones you get at the window - not printed at home. Is that correct?

2. How strict is everyone on their seat assignments? We have seats 6 rows apart - think we can get someone to change with us?

Thanks in advance for your answers
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Well, not dumb questions, but ones I wouldn't lose any sleep over. I recently printed some tickets off the sncf site along with some documents that I can exchange for other tickets. (The actual tickets have a man's face on the background.) I plan to take them all up to the ticket window where they are very helpful and do whatever they tell me to. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps.

Oh, definitely have the credit card you made the purchase with just in case. That's really meant for obtaining tickets when all you have is the documents, but it can't hurt.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM

If the tickets are for a specific date/time/train (and have your name on them?) I don't think you need to further validate them in the "composting" machine.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Are they the kind of tickets that have your name printed on them? If so, no composting necessary, the only documentation you need is your passport, so that the conductor can see that the name on the ticket is for the same person. (When we were on the train, he did not even ask to see our passports, but he can.) You do not have to go to the window, just get on the train. However, this info is only accurate--to my knowledge and experience--if you have tickets inscribed with your name.

Re: the seat assignments, I cannot respond, our seats were together, but we moved to other empty ones that we preferred. It was no problem, but train was not full.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Hi,

As has been mentioned above, if you have printed your tickets out at home then no need to validate them in the machine, just have the tickets and photo ID ready to show the conductor on the train. Make sure the tickets are on plain A4 paper with nothing on the back, and don't cut them whatever you do!

People are strict on French trains regarding seat reservations, so don't swap seats without checking first. I've found myself seated on a different row from my husband once or twice, and just asked one of the people in the adjacent seats if they minded swapping. It wasn't a problem (but I do speak French, which helps!)

Alternatively, you could try getting to the station half an hour early, go up to the ticket window and explain that you haven't been seated together. They may well be able to find you new seats. I've also done this in the past and it wasn't a problem, although I wasn't using self-printed tickets (not sure whether that would make a difference).
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
1. No validation of self-printed tickets.
2. Seat reservations are strict, but it is generally possible to make arrangements with other people on the train. Just don't try sitting in a seat that is not assigned to you before the train leaves.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi P,

The document that you printed is your ticket.

You show it to the conductor on the train, along with your ID.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the input on the seat issue. Looks like we're set.