Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SNCF offices in U.S.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sncf-offices-in-u-s-109881/)

isobel Mar 4th, 2001 05:37 PM

SNCF offices in U.S.?

I booked a TGV ticket online - Paris/Lyon/Paris, for April. I'd expected to print the confirmation, turn it in at any station in Paris, then pay for and get the actual ticket. However, an e-mail response from SNCF tells me I have until March 11 to do this. Does anyone have the phone number or web site for French National Railways, SNCF or any related site in the U.S. where I can take care of this before 3/11? <BR> <BR>Thanks very much.

Rex Mar 4th, 2001 05:59 PM

Don't think there are any such things. No Amtrak offices in France either. <BR>

Ed Mar 4th, 2001 06:06 PM

RailEurope, of which you may have heard, represents the European rails in the US. It is, in fact, owned by SNCF and the SBB (Swiss Rail). <BR> <BR>They will take care of your needs (for a price). <BR> <BR>As you might guess www.raileurope.com will get you to them. They probably still have their 800 phone ... 4eurail I believe. <BR> <BR>Ed

Rex Mar 4th, 2001 06:11 PM

But Ed, before you advocate RailEurope, it is worth saying that with postage and handling, this will result in a mark-up of something close to 50%. <BR> <BR>A great place for info, for RailPasses (for the few people who will benefit from their purchase) and occasionally a source for air travel at reasonable prices, but rarely a good deal for point-to-point tickets. <BR>

Mara Mar 4th, 2001 06:27 PM

I paid for my Paris-Brussels ticket online at the sncf website as per advice from an earlier Thalys thread on this board. Then I can collect my ticket just about up to train departure time. I also paid about $50 rt which is over $100 less than Rail Europe quoted me.

Christina Mar 4th, 2001 06:33 PM

Raileurope is the legal representative of SNCF in the US, it says so on the SNCF website. I wouldn't say you'd have to buy it from them, but since they are SNCF's representative in the US and it's a free call, you could at least ask them and see what they say. I think you can do this (pay from US), I believe I've heard from others who have, but it's not easy. You can either email SNCF and ask them what to do ([email protected] is the address I got off their web site), or you can call them directly in Paris. They have multiple international phone lines for various languages, the English-language info. phone line in Paris is 8-36-35-35-39 (8 is the city code, I know it is diff. than the usual Paris city code of 1 but I think it's a special number as RATP has that code also for info lines). This is also the phone line advertised as Eurostar info, probably because it's English-speaking. I got these and other SNCF info phone numbers (for French, Spanish, Italian, etc speakers) from a German website actually.

isobel Mar 6th, 2001 03:53 PM

Thank you all for your helpful advice. and sncf phone number. I'll call tomorrow. <BR>Tried my automobile club international travel dept. They advised me to cancel my SNCF reservation and re-book with them. Would have charged me $87 each way for a ticket <BR>costing about $53 round trip with SNCF. If only SNCF would let me pay for it from the U.S!

isobel Mar 8th, 2001 11:30 AM

Christina, <BR> <BR>Thank you for helping solve my SNCF bookiing problem. I phoned the number you posted (see your message above) and my U.S.credit card was accepted without any difficulties.

lisa Oct 5th, 2002 07:17 AM

I just returned home from a trip in france. I paid 163.35 for my round trip ticket from CDG-Avignon and then back from Aix-Lyon Gare. I actually had to upgrade to 1st class on the trip to Avignon becaise the ticket was for the wrong day - and had to pay an additional 70.84. I just noticed upon my return that SNCF has now billed my card an additional 456.21 dollars. I am trying to find the number to call... the above??? This is strange, isn't it???

TGV Oct 5th, 2002 08:04 AM

Phone number for SNCF, in English:<BR>08 36 35 35 39<BR>From the USA, that would be 011-33-8 36 35 35 39<BR><BR>I have posted this answer so many times, <BR>I wonder why Fodors doesn't make a page with FAQ. This one would be among the Top 10, I am sure.<BR>

lisa Oct 5th, 2002 09:11 AM

Sorry that I was not clearer above... I am trying to get through to this number - as you repeated above... I am not able to get through and I will keep trying. <BR><BR>Just curious... has anyone been billed incorrectly before by SNCF. I have now been billed approximately $600.00 for my round trip ticket which I paid before departing the USA $163.00 (reserved and booked thru my Paris hotel).<BR><BR>Thanks.