Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Snakes!!! A strange question about Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/snakes-a-strange-question-about-italy-677806/)

BarbMH Feb 7th, 2007 08:28 PM

Snakes!!! A strange question about Italy

Okay, here goes probably one of the strangest questions ever posted on this board... We're going to the Italian Riviera in May. Found what looked like the perfect villa for us, until I read a review that said: As the owners are aware of the snakes in the property I think it should be mentioned but how to do it without causing unnecessary panic for those being really afraid of snakes. (Sorry to those of you who had to read this twice!)

I just so happen to be absolutely petrified of snakes (even the non-poisonous, non-life-threatening kind)! Are they really that common in that area?!?! Told you it was a strange question.

highledge Feb 8th, 2007 12:07 AM

There are snakes in Italy- all over Europe in fact. Just as there are snakes all over the U.S. The fact that one person encountered a snake should not put you off this property.
Don't sunbathe in the grass- sit in a chair. If you love the villa rent the place.

zorba_01 Feb 8th, 2007 12:13 AM

Snakes are not really so common in Italy. Where are you staying exactly? I’m Italian and in my 42 years of life I’ve never seen a snake nor at the seaside nor in the mountains. I’m not saying that they don’t exist but they stay clear of urbanized areas. Enjoy your vacation

annhig Feb 8th, 2007 12:14 AM

try Ireland!

Piedmont_Phil Feb 8th, 2007 12:20 AM

In three years living in Piedmont we have seen one snake - it was in our garden for a couple of days - non poisonous, but clearly disconcerting if you dislike snakes. We have dogs and they thought it great fun to chase it away!
My experience of snakes is that they will actively avoid humans.

ira Feb 8th, 2007 02:35 AM

Hi B,

Would you rather be somewhere where you know that there is a very small possibility of seeing a snake and can take precautions, or in one where they haven't told you about the very small possibility of seeing a snake?

((I))

LoveItaly Feb 8th, 2007 03:00 AM

Hi Barb, I have spent a lot of time in Italy since the 1970's in cities, small towns, very small villages, in the various countrysides etc., and I have never seen a snake. And believe me, I hate snakes, lol. The only time I have seen snakes was as a little girl in the entry of our house in the SF/Bay Area and about 12 years ago in our house in a small city in the Bay Area.

I suppose that seeing a snake in Italy is a possibility due to highledge's post but as he said the posibility is true in the US also.

As much as I hate snakes I certainly wouldn't let one comment about them keep me from renting the villa I was interested in. And btw, family members rented a villa in Tuscany for three weeks this last summer which was out in the countryside and they never saw a snake. Go and enjoy!!!

bilboburgler Feb 8th, 2007 03:15 AM

Down in Puglia in the villages and countryside I have met snakes (terrified of them) but never in cities or in the mountains. No matter my fear I always calm down as they are always more scared of me than I am of them.

Please ignore this advise in Africa....

nnolen Feb 8th, 2007 03:16 AM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I think they just want to cover themselves and warn everyone ahead of time. I remember seeing a few snakes during the couple of years I lived in Italy - but lizards were much more common. They used to come in the house through the windows and climb the walls. :)

As people were saying, like most wildlife they will be less common in urbanized areas. If you are renting a place that is more rural, there is always more possibility of encountering a "visitor" of some variety.

amy_zena Feb 8th, 2007 03:27 AM

I didn't know about the snakes in Riviera region. I lived outside of Genoa for 2 years and never saw a snake.

I have heard about vipers in the hills in Tuscany. In the fall, my husband and I go into the forest in the hills here in Tuscany for chestnut hunting. My hubby always tells me to be careful and watch out for the vipers. I haven't seen one yet, but my hubby and his family have.

Kate Feb 8th, 2007 03:36 AM

I have a house in Puglia and have been told to expect the odd snake. Have been told they look like the black hoses we have all over the garden. Haven't seen one yet but let's just say I am very careful when collecting wood from the wood pile outside! Apparently they try to avoid humans like the plague and will slither off sharpish if you get near.

Flame123 Feb 8th, 2007 04:22 AM

Oh great!! Just what I needed to hear. I have a deathly fear of even seeing a PICTURE of a snake, and here I am going to Puglia in May!! Oh dear me......

traveller1959 Feb 8th, 2007 05:13 AM

I have never seen a snake in Italy outside of a zoo. Snakes are VERY seldom in Europe - they are MUCH MORE common in North America.

BarbMH Feb 8th, 2007 05:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for all your advice -- and for a couple of good laughs. I know how nutty I sound -- giving up a vacation to the Riviera b/c of some irrational fear -- but they're that scary for me (for reasons unknown. I'm a city girl -- Philly. Snakes would get trampled mercilessly here!)

Hearing lots of "I've never seen a snake" responses from all of you has helped to calm my fears a bit, so thank you. I'm hoping if I just stay OUT OF THE GARDEN I won't have any unwelcome encounters. Does anyone know -- do they often make it INTO houses????? If so, how?

(Flame123, I'm the same -- can't even look at pictures. Sorry to give you something to worry about!)

ira Feb 8th, 2007 06:10 AM

Hey B,

>do they often make it INTO houses????? <

Calm down.

You can walk in the garden.

Snakes very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,rarely go into houses.

((I))

chris_artisans Feb 8th, 2007 06:15 AM

You should then come to Malta, no snakes here, St. Paul got rid of them a few centuries ago. Strange but true.

miaspapa Feb 8th, 2007 06:27 AM

My brother in law lives outside Rome in the hilly areas .Property is loaded with snakes his land is surronded by trees,and light forest.I believe that is why there are so many cats all over Europe,but rule of thumb .Check out the area find out if these snakes are poisenous if they are not don't worry they will run away from you ,another caution is if your horseback riding horses could get spooked by snakes.

annhig Feb 8th, 2007 06:30 AM

ref Ira's comments, I promise that if you should ever visit us, i won't tell you about our pet snake that escaped from its cage into the house and has never been seen again. [no, i am not kidding!]

Have a great snake free holiday,

Regards

Ann

BarbMH Feb 8th, 2007 08:17 AM

Okay, I'm starting to feel a little better. And Ira, I'm holding you to that (the "very, very..." rarely in the house thing). I hope you're right... I only have until tomorrow to decide. Then I loose my option on this villa.

Pegontheroad Feb 8th, 2007 08:44 AM

Sorry if I digress, but this reminds me of an article I saw in a now-defunct magazine, "Spokane Magazine." It referred to the difference between eastern and western Washington, which have very different climates, flora, and fauna. The article was called "Snakes vs Slugs." I live in eastern Washington, where it's possible to see the occasional snake, though very rare in the city. I much prefer the snakes to the slugs.