Smoking in restaurants in Barcelona?

Feb 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster
Smoking in restaurants in Barcelona?

Thought I read that they instituted at least a partial-ban on smoking in restaurant there recently?

Am I going to have to look for takeout options?

Also, isn't Britain talking about smoking bans there too? Have they moved on it?
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
This is true in vlanecia, and i assume cataluña hasn't invented its own particular interpretation.

If a restaurant is smaller than 100 sq.m it can decide to be a smoking or totally non-smoking restaurant. 90 % of the small places have decided to allow SMOKING due to lack of business.

If the restaurant is larger, they must provide a legal smoking section with ventilation if they want to let people smoke.

it is almost worse than before.

i find it discriminatory that depending on the size, one can still let the smoking go on. almost impossible to find non-smoking cafés.. the ones that went "non" have changed back because on the work break no one was using them. they lost so much business as people opted for the smoking cafés.
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Well, they also say no smoking on the metro platforms, but that happens there all the time. Restaurants will be more strict, but if you are a smoker, Barcelona is very hospitable. You, though, are obviously not, so you might be bothered. In restaurants it is not so bad, but bars literally get thick as the night wears on.

Also, you will probably notice that many places smell like hash. I know it is not legal, however there are places where the owners look the other way and just ask you to roll it in the bathroom. Mostly bars.

Search this Thread