Paris Starbucks Mobbed!

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Starbucks Mobbed!

Will Starbucks go over in Paris? That was the question posed by many dubious folks - that it couldn't compete with the legendary Parisian cafes. Well if the Starbucks i saw on a weekday in December in an area with nearly no tourists in it - the Parc de Bercy area - is any indication Starbucks have won over many French as the place was mobbed.
From what i've read it seems the French, especially women, love a smoke-free cafe with WI-FI and quick snarly waiter-less service. I haven't been to the Starbucks by the Opera but i assume it's similarly popular.
I'm no big Starbucks fan but also enjoy a smoke-free environment and quick service. I have relatives in France and many of the women don't care to go to the traditional male-dominated oft smoke-filled cafes and welcome a Starbucks type place to go at lunch.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Starbucks has been open in Paris quite a long time, as well as other European cities. I think most of those nontraditional chain places (fast food or whatever you call it) are always pretty full whenever I've visited them in lots of cities. Given how popular a lot of them are and that are worse than Starbucks, I never doubted that Starbucks would do well in Paris. Those hokey Tex-mex places are always pretty crowded in Paris (Indiana cafe), and so are McDonalds and they are not as pleasant an experience as Starbucks, at least for ambience. I've been in Starbucks in Madrid (which was actually very nice) and it wasn't mobbed, but it was mid-day on a weekday, and there were plenty of people there.

I didn't know people went to Starbucks for lunch (I don't go there very often myself, I thought they had only coffee and some pastries). I never thougt of cafes as male-dominated in Paris (some countries, yes), but if so, that's a good reason for me to go there.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Christina - interesting observations - by going for lunch i meant not to eat but many French have long lunch hours where they may end up in a cafe just for coffee or other drink. And i agree with your observations that fast food places in France are often mobbed - more so than at home in the US it seems. Marc Bove - love it or level it!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I cracked up when I read the sign for opening hours on the Paris Starbucks in 'our' neighborhood. It didn't open until 9:30am.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM

The Starbucks I went to when I was working Basel was always filled with women reading, relaxing. There were some men, but most of them were grabbing coffee to take out. And this was in winter, these were almost all locals or expats, very few tourists.
The Starbucks I pop into in Vienna usually is full of locals (and before I hear yadda yadda yadda about all the great Viennese cafes, when I've got an nighttime walk of several blocks in below freezing, snowy, windy weather, a Starbucks decaf latte is nice and warm to drink along the way).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM

PalQ, you were referring to José Bové? The man that took apart the McDonald's in Millau? He's hugely popular among the anti-globalization set.

Anselm
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Is the coffee at Starbucks in Europe very good? As good as local coffee?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM

BTilke...I love it... that is great! My husband loves to get up early when we are "on the Continent" and his ONLY complaint is that there are never any places to get take-out coffee and just walk around and check out the sites...the Americans have solved the problem in a few cities!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
José Bové , Lives in Millau. I support him.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Thank God! I can't do dairy, so must take my coffee black when I leave the states. Now I can get the soy lattes I thrive on...
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I'm sorry to see Starbucks taking over the world.I rarely go into a Starbucks in the states and that's only if I'm with someone that wants to. I honestly don't know what the hype is all about. It's not just about the coffee but the charm and ambience of which Starbucks has none.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Starbucks in Paris is very popular with certain segments of society, including the wannabes who dream of the United States and some younger demographics that like the trendy exoticism of the chain.

The smoke-free environment may have something to do with it, as very few places are truly smoke-free in France, despite laws—and most French people smoke like locomotives, especially young French women.

Remember that Starbucks seems exotic to the French even though it is mundane to Americans. And remember that Americans drool over IKEA even though Europeans know the chain to be the land of the poor college students.

The coffee at Starbucks isn't better or worse than local fare; it's just different. It's also a lot more expensive, and considerable price hikes have taken place as well.

Starbucks is opening a vast number of stores in Paris. In large cities, it can take a decade or more for the long-term stability of a chain or business to become apparent, however, so it remains to be seen if these many Starbucks will all still be in business ten years from now (although certainly a few of them will probably survive indefinitely).

There are some tourists at places like Starbucks or McDonald's in Paris, but these chains are still supported primarily by local customers, usually the aforementioned wannabes, or specific demographics that want what the chains provide (such as fast, cheap food, or a comfy chair to sit in while drinking coffee, instead of a cold iron chair).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Oh gosh, it's tiresome to hear everytime about these chains taking over the world. Yes, I admit they are overpopulating the cities, but the local cafes and restaurants will still survive. There are people like myself who will more likely frequent a local cafe than a Starbucks overseas. But I won't rule out patronizing them if I feel like it.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I'll go for a local café any time, but that frosty Frappucino we had after a full day of walking was very refreshing. It's just another choice, not 'all or nothing'.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM

We visited a Starbucks in Paris last year (Opera location) mainly to buy a Starbucks Paris mug and ask if they had their stuffed animals for sale. We thought it would be a "good"time to go, but the line was snaked around and out the door. The have a area of seated tables and DID serve sandwiches! It seemed a very popular and good place and the locals seemed to love it.The manager was very cordial to me in our request. <)
We ate at a small Starbucks in Edinburgh early on a Sunday morning...muffin etc. ,,nothing else was open.
We don't eat at McDonalds much in the USA (possibly once in a while when traveling by car cross country etc)...but I am fascinated by them in other countries and how popular they are with the local people,..families, businessmen, young people and old. Once or twice on a two week trip we try a McDonalds and I find it just plain interesting!!!. ..Germany, Hungry, Italy, SWitzerland, England, Scotland,FRance, Portugal,and on and on. (the paper placemats/menus in different languages are fun) , and they usually have a good restroom (sometimes hard to find while walking the streets in Europe!)
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:09 PM

oops! I didn't edit very well'!

"They have an area of" is correct.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM

The Opera Paris location had good business when we were there - but no lines outside the building. I liked stopping there for a Vanilla Bean Frappucino and a stop at the restroom (just like the ones at home )

EVERY McD's in Paris was mobbed with locals when we were there. I ended up grabbing a burger twice at Quick Burger - because Mickey D's was way too crowded.

Love the big (oversized) Paris Starbuck's mug!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM

I swear I will never go to Starbucks as much as I love it when in Paris BUT coffee in Paris just isn't what it used to be. I think they are converting to those no brainer coffee machines. I used to so enjoy a coffee with a little pot of steamed milk - didn't see that at all last summer. Perhaps I need to upgrade my hotel and cafe
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Welll they have finally arrived here in Dublin as well. It had not been so big when I left the U.S. and I only was there once in America so it is a novelty to me. In my day Dunkin Doughnuts coffe was the best around! Far more progressive on the coffee scene these days. While it's a treat the few times we have gone in I just cannot say it will be a regular stop for me. The prices are MUCH higher for a coffee than many of the other coffee places in the city centre and I like the coffee at a few others that are much cheaper. I am worried that Dublin will soon start looking like London with chains on every street and you won't go 5 minutes without passing the same chain again.

The french coffee with hot Milk is something I never got in Paris. In Spain we did but it was Cafe con leche that is always served with hot milk.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM

"The prices are MUCH higher for a coffee than many of the other coffee places in the city..."
which is exactly what some people say here in the US but Starbucks obviously knows how to do business and the majority of folks obviously think it is "worth it..."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -