Reload this Page >

Smokers in Spain and France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Don'tsmoke

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the whole of Spain and France seem to have taken up smoking as a national hobby? I know that when visiting a country you must expect to live according to their customs and so forth, but developing smoking related cancers due to this particularly offensive habit is going too far, surely?<BR>You simply cannot escape it anywhere, be it at dinner, cafe etc<BR>Anyone else out there as peeved by this as I am?<BR><BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 08:27 PM
lze

Hi........yes it is awful I am sure. We had an awful time in London and I can hardly wait to get to Paris. I live in CA and we have the most strict no smoking laws of anyone I think. And I love it. We will move back to FL in the next year and I don't look forward to smelling it in restaurants etc. Yes, I know we should abide by their rules etc. but it is difficult. Anyone have any suggestion for avoiding it to some extent at least while traveling?

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Wordly

Yes.. wear a mask!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:23 AM
mh

Europeans are very tolerant and yes, they do smoke like chimneys. Unfortunetly when politely asked they will not put it out. As an american living overseas, it is just something one learns to live with. I think the europeans must have the highest cancer cases in the world...

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Jan-Erik

I´am german and I smook. In Germany that is not a big thing. But you are right the number of smookers in germany is increaseing. Especially teenager are smooking a lot. I think that out of 10<BR>7 16 year old teens are smooking.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 03:58 AM
cj

Here in New York we also have strick no smoking rules. There are Places that all smokimg at the bar only. Being a reformed smoker I would say in <BR>Rome Do as they do.This is thier country and if they choose to smoke so be it. the other side of the coin (when I did smoke) if I was asked NICELY (key word) I put it out. <BR><BR>I would have to say if you are in Europe and a place allows smoking, than if you really want to see this particular place than go in. I don't think you can die from second hand smoke that fast.<BR><BR>My biggest thing while in Europe was that all you would see is a very well dressed person with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other. We got some chuckles when we were in Europe because all you would see were well dressed people witj a cell phone in one hand and a cigargette in the olther. The need a third hand to open up a door. I am not poking fun at Europeons because this is our favoriate place to visit. Here in New York they would fit right in because we have the hands free cell phone law.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 04:49 AM
max

Actually-I don't care if they smoke.I live in NY-I don't smoke.But when I visit Paris/London/Rome-people smoking is the same to me as that they are speaking another language or whatever they do in that country..I don't have to live with it-I go home to my smoke-free environement.They have to sort it out themselves.Wait until you go to Russia or China!! And like they say-if it bothers you that much or you are worried about you own health-don't go-they aren't going to change their habits to suit some foreign tourists.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 07:08 AM
aa

One of my colleagues is French and he specializes in consumer research. He is a nonsmoker. I was surprised that he didn't smoke like a chimney and when I said something to that effect (but more politely) he noted that smoking actually is on the decline in France. It may not be perceptible yet, but there are fewer smokers...and I was in Basel, Switzerland, last week and it was a pleasant surprise to see restaurants and cafes actually enforcing the rules about not smoking in the nonsmoking sections (which were much bigger than just a token table or two). A couple who lit up in the NS section of one restaurant were asked nicely to either stop or move to the smoking section (they moved). Other restaurants asked me my preference and made sure to find me a table in a nonsmoking area. So there is hope!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Karen

Ize I was in Paris in September and like you I am a non-smoker from California. It was a concern of mine before I got there because I hate the smell so much. But for some reason the smoking didn't bother me while I was there. When going to the cafes, if weather permits, sit outdoors. That will help a little.<BR><BR>Angelina's on the Rue de Rivoli wasn't pleasant because the tables were so close together and we were packed in like sardines and I was towards the back of the room. Lots of people smoking not only cigarettes but cigars. So I would have to say that was my worst experience.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:08 AM
non-smoker

Interesting, there have been several posts on how Europeans are concerned about the decline in American tourist, but do not want to stop smoking in public places. It seems that when people want to attract business, they will make accomodations.<BR>I have heard that they are beginning to enforce the non smoking rules in the metro and there is a wonderful website called smokefreeworld.com. It lists restaurants in France and other European countries that are smoke free. We need to start patronizing smoke free places and as more people request non smoking facilities, businesses will realize there is a demand for non smoking facilities. Don't suffer in silence!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:13 AM
non smoker

Oh, and by the way, there is supposed to be a law in France requiring restaurants to provide non smking facilities.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Ess

I'm an ex-smoker and smoke bothers me more than it does my boyfriend who has never smoked. I can tolerate it pretty well, however, as long as there is some kind of ventilation. We were in a club in Paris one night listening to a band, and we were (really) the only people in the room NOT smoking! I really loved the band, but finally had to get out just to get a breath of air. It figures. I spend my youth smoking and being reprimanded for it everywhere. Then I finally quit, only to discover the pleasures of Paris, where it's smokers heaven.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:10 PM
peoplewholive

Is it just me or does anyone else agree that the whole of the United States seems to have taken up driving giant SUVS and pickup trucks as a national hobby? I know that when visiting a country you must expect to live according to their customs and so forth, but developing vehicle pollution related cancers due to this particularly offensive habit is going too far, surely? You simply cannot escape it anywhere, be it in the countryside, big cities, etc. Anyone else out there as peeved by this as I am?

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 12:15 PM
american in paris

It embarrasses me that our country's main net exports appear to be cigarettes and weapons.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 02:06 PM
Capo

american in paris, here are three articles (among many) you may find of interest:<BR><BR>"Tobacco Corporations Step Up Invasion of Third World" <BR><BR>http://www.twnside.org.sg/title/1960.htm<BR><BR>"Exporting addiction?"<BR><BR>http://www.charlotte.com/observer/special/foreignsmoke/story/smoke1.htm<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>"U.S. Aided Cigarette Firms in Conquests Across Asia"<BR><BR>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/tobacco/stories/asia.htm<BR><BR>________________________________<B R><BR><BR>As for all the smoking in Europe, I certainly don't care for it -- and thankfully I've never smoked -- but I'm also not that sensitive to smoke, so it doesn't bother me all that much during the relatively short time I'm in smoky venues in Europe.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 03:50 PM
smokey

I have traveled from Provence to Florence twice in the past year and was surprised at how smoking was considerably less prevalent than I expected, particularly in the various eating establishments. With that said, I wish the California do-gooders would find some other crusade to whine about. No doubt that cigarette smoking is not healthy and the smell is offensive to many. However, a proprietor should be allowed to make the decision of who his chosen clientele will be. If you don't like it, don't go! Otherwise, shut the hell up!!<BR><BR>Personally, my definition of a great vacation is the ability to have a six course meal with a great bottle (or two) of wine and having a cigarette between each course. <BR><BR>Perhaps you can work to outlaw butter or ice cream as a crusade against heart disease, obesity and diabetes. How about perfumes, deisel smoke, neck ties, etc.. Enough with the cigarettes!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Simone

Returned from Paris two weeks ago were the smoke didn't bother me because they can't smoke in art galleries and they can't ruin the air at a sidewalk cafe!!! I hate smoke - it makes the smokers and those close by stink. But, I love Paris, anyway.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:07 PM
lze

Some interesting replys here. I am a reformed smoker and we are probably the worse. I was in China in May for 3 weeks and it did not bother me there like I thought it would. The smog however was another story. Bangkok has to be the worse place in the world. <BR><BR>cj, we cannot smoke in bars in Ca.either.<BR><BR>Karen, thanks and I know we will certainly look for the sidewalk cafes.<BR><BR>Sorry Smokey. I agree about the good bottle (or two) of wine, and believe me CA. has some great ones. But cannot agree about the smoking. To each his own, right? <BR><BR>Someone spoke of people being dressed up with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other. The one I got a kick out of was in Amsterdam a guy riding a bike with his business suit on talking on his cell phone. I did a double take. No cigarette however.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Rhonda

As a non-smoker having travelled throughout Europe this past "Fall" (as you call it) 'found smoking worst in Spain & Portugal. All very well for smokers to declare, go elsewhere, but there is no 'elsewhere' without smoke. I can testify to that with an asthmatic daughter needing a water ambulance in Venice. NOWHERE in the Madrid airport can you escape from smoke!! Are they really THAT backward??

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Rhonda

P.S. Loved Madrid but hated the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -