Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Smoker on long flight to London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/smoker-on-long-flight-to-london-184347/)

Marion Sep 2nd, 2001 07:34 AM

Smoker on long flight to London

Would appreciate advice for my fellow traveler who is a fairly heavey smoker, on how to cope on a long flight to London in 10 days.

Surlok Sep 2nd, 2001 01:40 PM

Marion, <BR> <BR>It seems worse than it is, in fact. I'm a heavy smoker, and my first non smoking flight, about three years ago, was RIO/LAX, a 14 hours flight. I was terrified! <BR> <BR>Believe me, the idea of a long non smoking flight, is worse than the real thing. The first two hours were terrible, because I couldn't stop "thinking" that I wasn't allowed to smoke. I felt angry and helpless. Then, I had dinner, took a sleeping pill and fell asleep. I realized, when I woke up, that it was perfectly bearable. <BR> <BR>I didn't chew any gum, or wore a pad, just chewed regular gum once in a while. <BR> <BR>That's my experience, and I've made quite a lot of transatlantic flights since then. It's not that bad, believe me. Just take care when smoking after the flight, do it slowly, otherwise, you'll feel dizzy. <BR> <BR>Be brave, and good luck, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Ed Sep 2nd, 2001 02:43 PM

Until a year ago a three-pack-a-day smoker. The last few years have seen a diminishing number of flights permitting smoking. Nonetheless I've flown to London, Frankfurt, Switzerland without problem on such flights. And all from interior US points requiring a connection. <BR> <BR>Don't know where you're flying from and if you'll have to connect, but do bear in mind that your time without a cigarette will start long before your flight takes off, and last through customs, immigration and baggage claim procedures. If you have a connection to make you may well be unable to smoke during the layover. <BR> <BR>I found that just setting it out of my mind worked well. A bit of gum helps. I took Nicorette gum but it upsets my stomach so used very little if any. At three packs a day the patch is little help, but if you smoke less it may be of use to you. <BR> <BR>Mind over matter! <BR> <BR>Or ... get an early start and stop now ... for good. :-) <BR> <BR>twenj

Smoker Sep 2nd, 2001 03:12 PM

I already answered this on your earlier posting today. <BR>Just topped the other one for you.

Surlok Sep 2nd, 2001 04:40 PM

Ed, <BR> <BR>Glad to know that you're a smoker.. Not that it brings any benefit to your health, but it makes me feel less lonely on this board. ;-) <BR> <BR>Surlok

Ed Sep 2nd, 2001 04:58 PM

Alas, Surlok ... ex-smoker. <BR> <BR>Cold turkey, one year and 10 days ago. Not that it was a big deal that I'd rememger! <BR> <BR>:-)

hmmmm Sep 2nd, 2001 05:04 PM

I still don't undertsand why you "need to" - "have to" inhale acrid toxic smoke into your lungs to feel good. You were terrified Surlok because you couldn't deal without a smoke for 14 hours? I wonder how you can cope with the real problems of every day life.

smokerIam Sep 2nd, 2001 05:31 PM

ahh,,,non smoker advise...don't you love it. <BR> <BR>hi marion, i am a 1 pk to 2 pk a day smoker. my first flight was a nightmare, because i psyche myself up for it. <BR> <BR>my second on was ok. i bought a small box of patches to help with the cravings and tootsie roll pops for the hand/oral fixation. works for me. <BR> <BR>if i get to antsy, i sleep. reading does not help....i smoke when i read. <BR> <BR>smoker i am <BR> <BR>seriously try the tootsie roll pops. helps me.

Surlok Sep 2nd, 2001 06:22 PM

Sure, Ed?? ;-0 <BR> <BR>Congratulations... I'm yet to get there.. <BR> <BR>To Hmmm.. <BR> <BR>You must learn how to read... So, read my post, slowly and attentively, and not only what interest you to criticize me. <BR> <BR>And if you don't smoke, what the heck are you posting on this thread, that is supposedly to give advise to a smoker, about how to cope with a long non smoking flight? <BR> <BR>Marion, <BR> <BR>I thought the smoker was you, sorry, I misread your post... <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Miriam Sep 2nd, 2001 07:37 PM

Hello Marion, <BR> <BR>I`m a smoker and had the same feelings that Surlok described. Sometimes at home I don`t smoke the whole day if I have a lot to do, so the gum or patch is useless for me. The thing is-your friend will be forced to think about smoking, because: <BR>1. he`s not aloud and no one wants to see his rights and choices cut down. You fell like a kid again when Mam said:NO! <BR>2. it`s boring to sit there like in a cage with nothing to do <BR> <BR>I just take an OTC sleeping pill when I feel I need it or stay up the whole night before a long flight to be really tired when boarding. Sleeping is the best thing your friend can do. <BR>And tell him-it gets better every flight(even 24 hours Frankfurt-Sydney worked..) <BR> <BR>Miriam

Miriam Sep 2nd, 2001 07:40 PM

Marion, <BR> <BR>that should be "feel like a kid"... <BR>(It`s late or early in Germany)... <BR> <BR>Miriam

Surlok Sep 2nd, 2001 07:49 PM

Thank you, Miriam, for posting. At least I know that someone understands me..;-) <BR> <BR>I guess that the feeling of being prohibited is worse than the fact that I can't smoke.. Is, as you smartly pointed out, to be treated like a child,and being <BR>restricted when we are adults doesn't feel good at all. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Miriam Sep 2nd, 2001 08:03 PM

Hi Surlok, <BR> <BR>thanks for your nice words... <BR>I`ve just read your first post again and you`re so right about the first cigarette after 14 hours. I went outside Charleston/S.C. Airport to smoke after a long flight with a connection in JFK, lighted it and nearly fainted. Ok, it was 105 F outside, but I really felt like somebody has hit my had with a hammer-unbelievable... <BR>And I had looked forward to that moment for 14 hours! <BR> <BR>Miriam

Surlok Sep 2nd, 2001 08:15 PM

Indeed, Miriam, the hammer on our heads is the perfect image! ;-) <BR> <BR>But then, after 16 hours ( because the flight is 14, plus the time before boarding, and with the check out procedure, it makes 16 hours), we are starving for that cigarette, and we suck it so avidly, that the hammer hitting feeling is inevitable. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Travel Girl Sep 2nd, 2001 08:59 PM

Nicotine W'drawl <BR> <BR>Do what the athletes (baseball players mostly) do...chew tobacco. Get a can to spit it in. Try Kodiak mint. Yummy!

Holly Sep 2nd, 2001 10:17 PM

1. Try visualizing. Close your eyes and imagine you're going through the motions. The craving will pass in a few moments, only to return a number of times during the flight, just visualize again. <BR>2. Repeat the mantra: Not smoking will not kill me. Not smoking will not kill me. <BR>The anticipation (months of it!) is a lot worse than the actual non-smoking flight. And it does get easier every time. <BR>Do be sitting down when you light up that first time after the flight. <BR>

Travel Girl Sep 2nd, 2001 10:23 PM

POSITIVE affirmations <BR> <BR>Regarding the "mantra", our brains only register positve messages, thus cancelling out the "not" part of it. So you would be in essence telling yourself that "smoking will kill me" which may be true but not really a good thing to be affirming. <BR> <BR>Try..."I feel great, I am safe, I am healthy, my body has everything it needs to live in this very moment" things along those lines. Drink a lot of water.

Marion Sep 3rd, 2001 01:46 PM

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for a smoker on a long flight. I will pass all of them on to my friend (female) and she can decide what might work for her.We are flying American from Detroit in about 10 days so really appreciate all the help. <BR> <BR>Marion <BR> <BR>Marion

idon'tgetit Sep 3rd, 2001 03:00 PM

As long as we have the attention of smokers here - I have a related question? Why do so many of you freely litter your cigarettes whenever you're out and about? How about hanging on to that butt until you reach an appropriate place to dispose of it instead of throwning them on the ground?

Miriam Sep 3rd, 2001 03:18 PM

To the last poster, <BR> <BR>I didn`t know that we`ve met in the past-next time say hello, please. I normally wouldn`t respond to that kind of stereotyping, but since I`m a target anyway for confessing that I smoke-who cares. I for one don`t litter when I smoke..And for sure not everybody from the States throw their Starbucks cups or McD`s bags carelessly on the street,or? <BR> <BR>Miriam