Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Smoke Free/Almost Finds in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/smoke-free-almost-finds-in-paris-158937/)

sue Aug 10th, 2001 08:22 AM

Smoke Free/Almost Finds in Paris?

Sorry but I don't want to experience that part of the culture where it can be avoided. Actually found two no smoking places to eat. Anyone out there find any that make eating more pleasant for a non smoker?

Lou Aug 10th, 2001 08:50 AM

I can give you the names of several places in L.A., which may be a more appropriate destination. <BR>;-)

Book Chick Aug 10th, 2001 09:08 AM

Sue, <BR>I'll be in Paris in October with my cousin, who is a vegetarian. She found a restaurant called Aquarious--vegetarian, no smoking & the wine served is made from organic grapes. <BR>BC

chuck Aug 10th, 2001 09:31 AM

Sue, <BR> <BR>My wife and I were in Paris a few months ago (for the first time). We were a little apprehensive about encountering great clouds of cigarettes. <BR> <BR>Thankfully, it turned out to be a false alarm for us. We did not (knowingly) eat at any smoke-free restaurants nor inquire about non-smoking sections. And we never ran into any problems in the whole week we were there. It's possible we just got lucky. And I'm certainly not an expert after only one visit. But based on my experience, the heavy smoke warnings have been exaggerated. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

sue Aug 10th, 2001 11:20 AM

Thank you Book Chick but my search on Aquarious didn't find a location. If you could follow up on it I would greatly appreciate it. Will be in Paris for 9 days because of work and want to get a few options to choose from that I can rely on being trouble free. <BR>

Book Chick Aug 10th, 2001 11:35 AM

Sue, <BR>There are 2 Aquarius restaurants--both have owner/partners. One is in the 4th arrondisement near Pompidou & is open mostly day hours. The other is in the 14th arrondisement. <BR> <BR>Here are the particulars: <BR> <BR>54 rue Ste. Crois de la Bretonnerie, 75004. Phone is 01.48.87.48.71 <BR> <BR>40 rue de Gergovie, 75014. Phone is 01.45.41.36.88 <BR> <BR>Again, Bon Appetit! <BR>BC

sue Aug 10th, 2001 02:43 PM

BC <BR>Merci

Marty Aug 11th, 2001 01:10 PM

I agree with Chuck's posting. My husband and I were just there a month ago with his parents (their first time to Europe) and we were worried about the smoking deal, particularly for their sakes. I have to say that in 7 nights of eating out, it was really only a problem or even that noticeable in 1 restaurant. Perhaps we too were just lucky, but I have made 7 or so trips to Paris in the past 15 years and have to say that there seems to be some sort of positive trend over that period toward less smoking in restaurants. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Jen Aug 17th, 2001 04:30 PM

Try Brasserie Bofinger -- it has a "real" non-smoking section in a nice part of the restaurant.