Smart travel tips for European travel

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Debbie

Smart travel tips for European travel

My husband and I returned recently from a fabulous trip to Germany. Thanks to all the tips from other seasoned travelers, our trip was a total success!.For instance, we avoided dressing like typical travelers from another country in the sense that we did not wear white sneakers, fanny-packs, warm-up suits,etc.We instead wore dark slacks,nice walking shoes and found we blended right in. I would like to add to the list a few items I wish we had brought--her they are: <BR> <BR>1. Cups to have coffe in the car in. The concept of taking coffe out was so foreign to many of the people we spoke to. They simply could not fathom why anyone would choose to drink their coffee in the car. So. for die-hard coffeee-addicts, a "sipy mug" <BR> <BR>2. Canvas shopping bags. Since most stores we shopped in did not offer bags, it would be wise to BYOB. <BR> <BR>3. Your favorite soap-- again, we stayed in very nice hotels, even a castle but most did not offer soap. <BR> <BR>I'm sure there are more, but I'm drawing a blank. I would be interested in hearing others suggestions. I have learned so much from these forums. Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Danna

As soon as you get to the ticket gate for your overseas flight ask to be put on the "wish list" and ask for an exit row. Or ask for the seat between be blocked out so you get leg room. Also, I saw on this forum, the idea of taking a funnel & coffee filters. Fresh Coffee in our room (NOT Nescafe) would have been great!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 04:27 AM
liz

One of my favorite things to bring is the Crabtree & Evelyn citrus travel toilettes. They are individually wrapped so they don't take up any room. It's not always easy to find a place to wash your hands/face before or after a picnic lunch or when you are touring all day. They are 3.50 dollars for a 10 pack. I love them!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 09:00 PM
alan

Hi! Just to add my 2c, try and live out of carryon bags for up to 2 weeks. We travel with 1 apiece with wheels and another smaller that we keep with medication, camera etc in case we have to check the other two bags. This year we put a smaller empty bag inside the smaller hand bag for gifts that we were bringing back so that we would have no more than 2 carryons apiece. This way we could store the smaller bags overhead or under the seat. <BR>alan

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 04:49 PM
Danna

Good thread... back to the top

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 05:28 PM
jeremy

<BR>The main things missing in europe all seem to relate to bathrooms: take a big bar of soap, a roll of soft toilet paper, & a soft fluffy towel.You can pitch these on your return to make room for souvienirs.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 07:15 PM
topper

to the top

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 12:36 AM
Sue

Washrag in a plastic bag so I can carry it wet. Although we have moved up from 1-star to 2-star hotels, still many don't have washrags (I think that is a southern term from my youth--what is it nowadays?). I also take lots of ziplock bags of all sizes, for that open bag of nuts or the rest of a sandwich, or 2 sandwiches for the train.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 07:41 AM
Debbie

Just wanted to add one more thingto my original post--bring a smoke alarm with you, since many of the hotels we stayed were not so equipped. Also, many are very old wooden stuctures, so we felt it's also better to be safe than sorry.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 06:57 PM
betsy

Hi Sue <BR> <BR>"Washrag" is a familiar term from my Southern childhood in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia. I think the rest of the US calls them washcloths.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Elizabeth

As Alan has stated earlier, the only way to travel is with one carry-on bag. I have been doing this for the last 20 years. Once you pack light, you will never go back. Spent 3 weeks in Russia, hopping on and off trains, buses, etc......couldn`t imagine doing that with huge suitcases. <BR> <BR>And Betsy......we in Canada call them facecloths.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Trina

Re Facecloths, washcloths, washrags: isn't it amazing how few people actually use these things. Most hotels in Europe where I've stayed don't have them. I have many friends who don't use them, but I don't feel clean without them.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:36 AM

just wondering before everyone used the body poofs what did these people use to wash themselves with in the shower or tub if they didn't use a washrag/washcloth? I use the little poof now but i still have to have a washrag for my face so i take my own now.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Linda

I traveled in France last summer and the item I wished I had brought was a stand up mirror. I know it is breakable item but most hotels only have one mirror in the bathroom where there is, of course, no outlet for a hair dryer or curling iron!!!.