Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Small town between Prague and Krakow on train line

Oct 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

This is a comment by Ben of London on an old post who wants an over night stop between Prague and Krakow by train. I really like the idea of breaking up a long train journey/night train and get to spend a night in a small town and am wondering if we should do the same on our journey from Krakow to Vienna as well?

Question:
Can Ben of London or anyone of our train experts comment on the following train time??
According to DB bahn web site: direct train from Prague to Krakow is 7.37 hours, it takes less time to reach Krakow with stops at Ostrava and Oswiecim (Prague/ Ostrava 2.59, Ostrava/Oswiecim 2.03, Oswiecim/Krakow Plaszow 1.42), And Cost of these train tickets??

Which train station in Krakow is closer to Old town, Krakow Plaszow or Central Krakow?

Can anyone comment on location of left luggage office at Oswiecim, availability of taxi to take us to Auschwitz. Ostrava, sights to see, hotel and restaurant recommendation.

Thankyou very much.
Oct 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM

I believe Ben has passed away.

I have taken tha troute but did not go through Ostrava. I went through Moravia and Olomouc, where I did stay overnight and really liked it. It is not a small town, however, it might have 100K population, I suppose. I chose the route through Olomouc and Preprov to Krakow as preferable, but I wanted to spend time in Olomouc, anyway. The train from Prerov to Krakow is a nice one that comes up from Vienna. I didn't even know Krakow had two train stations,the only one I've heard of is Krakow Glowny (which means main station, I believe). It's official name is Dworzec Glowny. I never even heard of the two you name, but maybe Central Krakow is some name someone is using for Krakow Glowny. Plaszow was a concentration camp outside Krakow, I believe, several km.

I don't know costs, but that train was really cheap I took.
Oct 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Christina, someone else has also thought that Ben has passed away..........the comment he made on the old post was in 04, and it's still a great help to my trip.

I think you are right about Glowny/central.....may be we can go thru Preprov on way way back from krakow to Vienna.
Oct 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

anyone??
Oct 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM

I don't understand the question. The through EuroCity train to Krakow's main and fairly central Glowny station is faster than any option requiring changes at Ostrava & Osweicim. Plaszow isn't as central, as I recall. I can't find any faster journeys at www.bahn.de.

You can get a 19 euro ticket from Prague to Osweicim or Krakow online at https://eshop.cd.cz/, you simply print out your own ticket (sells the day train but not the sleeper).

Osweicim is quite small, can't remember if it has left luggage but may well do. Both Auschwitz camps (there are 2!) are walking distance, the first one 10 min from the station and the bigger and nastier Aushwitz-Birkenau II camp is 25 mins walk out of town from the station.
Oct 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
blh

Christina, can you give some information about Olomouc? What did you see there? Where did you stay? We are considering stopping there while in the Czech Republic as there is a small town near Olomouc that we are interested in seeing. Thanks!
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Man_in_seat_61

Thank you for your comments and the link.

My search at www.bahn.de shows Prague to Ostrava 2.59 Ostrava to Oswiecim 2.03, Oswiecim to Krakow Plaszow 1.42, which adds up to 6.44 hours, direct train from Prague to Krakow 7.37 hours, are these the same train lines?

If Plaszow isn't as central, I wonder why Ben of London suggested that station in Krakow.

Can anyone please comment on left luggage at Osweicim?
Thanks.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Update: Heard this from another traveler ...

"There is NO luggage storage room (well, at least in 2006) at Oswiecim (Polish name of Auschwitz) train station. But there is luggage storage room underground at the entrance to the Auschwitz Museum and Memorial."

found this from another post, can someone confirm this??
tks.
Oct 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM

okay, for Olomouc -- I stayed right near the main square, so I could walk everywhere. Hotels are really cheap there for what you get, so I splurged on a lovely 4* hotel http://www.hotel-gemo.cz/

I took a cab to/from the train station, it wasn't much.

Olomouc has a good website with all kinds of info, which I
used in advance. http://www.olomouc-tourism.cz

There is also a tourist office at the train station where I picked up a map on arrival. I just walked around a lot, visited the cathedral and art museum, as well as seeing some of the nice fountains and the monument in the main square, and some things like that. It's been a few years, the website has all kinds of stuff.

It's possible Ben merely mentioned that station simply because it's just a schedule he turned up when looking at bahn.de, and it could have been a mistake. Who knows, it doesn't make any sense to me as it's about 4 km from the town center, and it appears you can actually go to Krakow Glowny from that place (if you couldn't that would explain it). Ben wasn't infallible, he said something else about Krakow trains or stations once that I did not agree with and I've been there twice. Maybe it was just that route was slightly cheaper, who knows.
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Christina,
you are right, who knows what Ben was thinking.......will just ride into krakow Glowny, thankyou again for all your help and the links.......
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Christina,

I found the following at: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ecim-BR-1.html