Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Small Paris Museums (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/small-paris-museums-334123/)

Degas Jul 6th, 2003 08:40 AM

Small Paris Museums

Trying to add a few smaller, less well-known museums to my next trip to Paris. I?ve found a few that look interesting, but might not have time to get to all of them. Would appreciate your feedback and recommendations. I know its very subjective, but my initial thought was to rank order them based on price, ease of access, size of collection and ability to combine a visit with other nearby attractions. Additional suggestions welcome.

Musée Cognacq-Jay

Nissim de Camondo Museum

Musée National Eugène Delacroix

Museum of Romantic Life

Musée de Montmartre

Costume and Fashion Museum

Musee Grevin

Musee de la Monnaie

bob_brown Jul 6th, 2003 08:51 AM

I am not sure if the Rodin Museum fits the criteria. It is nice place to visit,both house and gardens.

The Jacquemart - Andre Museum on Boulevard Hausmann is definitely one to add to the list.

I was not impressed with the Musee Picasso. I did not think the museum had much of his best work, the gallery itself struck me as drab, and I think, at the base level, Picasso is not my cup of tea.

Gretchen Jul 6th, 2003 08:57 AM

If you buy the museum pass you won't have to think about cost. Don't know if you have seen the Marmottan but it is a must see. We enjoyed the Musee Montmartre. Also Cluny (not small). Carnavalet is now free and one of our favorites.

Ronda Jul 6th, 2003 09:08 AM

Another vote for The Jacquemart - Andre Museum. The Carnavalet is nice but not as elegant or beautiful as the Jacquemart. The Carnavalet has a lot of French history but everything is in French and the docents won't speak English.

If you go to the Jacquemart be sure to have a snack or lunch in the dinning room. Very beautiful - you will feel transported back in time.

Degas Jul 6th, 2003 09:11 AM

Sorry - I should have said up front that I planned to go to the Cluny, Rodin, Carnavalet, and Marmottan. The pass would give me the ability to pop in and out. My plan was to group several new and old places together as part of a series of long walks if the weather was nice. If it rains, then I would add more museums or linger as required. I hope that makes sense.

Marilyn Jul 6th, 2003 09:22 AM

Musee Guimet has a wonderful collection of Asian art, especially some notable pieces from Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Metro stop Iena.

RonZ Jul 6th, 2003 09:23 AM

The Jaquemart Andre is my personal fvorite. Gorgeous interior decoration in the mansion in addition to the art dispayed there. Nice tea room. Open daily.

Combine the visit to the Nissim de Camondo with a walk through Parc Monceau.

If you visit the Musee Grevin {Grands Boulevards Metro], there is a nice walk down to the Palais Royale. Start at the Passage de Panoramas across the street, exit right, then down Rue Vivienne seeing Galerie Viviemne and Galerie Colbert on the way. Le Grand Colbert is a nice lunch spot.

Leaving the Marmottan, go right to the boulevard. You can catch a bus there and save a longish walk back to the Muette Metro.

Degas Jul 6th, 2003 09:27 AM

Does anyone know if the The Jaquemart Andre is on the Paris Museum card? I'll have a couple of teens in tow part of the time and I guess I let the high entrance fee scare me off.

RobynFrance Jul 6th, 2003 09:57 AM

Don't miss the Musee Maillol--former residence of Maillol and mistress filled with beautiful sculpture, painting and interesting artworks. Very enjoyable.

LVSue Jul 6th, 2003 10:38 AM

Jacquemart-Andre is not on the museum pass. :-(

There are 15 municipal museums (Musées de la Ville de Paris) that are free: Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, Maison de Balzac, Musée Bourdelle (sculptor), Musée Carnavalet, the Catacombs, Cognacq-Jay, Musée Galliera (fashion), the Leclerc Memorial and Jean Moulin Museum (resistance), Romantic Life, Victor Hugo's house, the Zadkine museum (sculptor).

A couple of them are being worked on (the museum card said Zadkine was, but there is a Vincent and Theo exposition there till 9-21 (he did the sculpture of Vincent in the garden at Auvers-sur-Oise).

And it is only the permanent collections that are free; special expos cost some, but not too much. I think it is funny that they are on the museum pass list because you can get in free anyway.

Aleta Jul 6th, 2003 10:40 AM

Another vote for the Maillol, the work is beautiful and it's very close to the Rodin.

jody Jul 6th, 2003 10:49 AM

If you like Asian art the Musee Guimet, on Pl d'Iena (16th) has one of the finest collections in the world

http://www.museeguimet.fr

I can't chose my favorite as it changes with each I see!

LarryJ Jul 6th, 2003 11:17 AM

Finally made it to the Marmottan in May. If you like Monet you'll love the Marmottan as I did. Didn't want to leave. Very nice part of town also. Not covered by the museum pass. Cost was 6.50 euros. Going back in September. The Rodin is also a great way to spend part of a day. The gardens and the sculptures there make it a nice change from the usual indoor museums.

Larry J

Gretchen Jul 6th, 2003 11:31 AM

The Carnavalet would be all French since it is the museum of the history of Paris as depicted in art. I particularly like the floor dedicated to the French Revolution--particularly the room of "cartoons" of the time.

Degas Jul 6th, 2003 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, but I've added even more to my initial list. Guess the only decent thing to do is extend my stay!

HowardR Jul 6th, 2003 02:30 PM

I'll add the Jewish Museum to the list, a fascinating experience for Jew and non-Jew alike.

jmw Jul 7th, 2003 04:49 AM

What a great thread!

jody Jul 7th, 2003 05:32 AM

I forgot another one we enjoyed. and it is very near the Carnavalet...Musee de la Chasse. The building itself is worth a trip!

aj Jul 7th, 2003 05:51 AM

I am glad to see that someone else enjoyed the Musee De la Chasse. If you like hunting and guns you will like it. The guns were so ornate and the building is beautiful. Be sure to look down into the courtyard garden. One side of the building is still used as a private hunting club. We were surprised to find that hunting is very big even in the city of Paris. The Musee de Cluny if one of my favorites! The tapestry room with the Dame and The Unicorn is a place I could just set in all day and enjoy! If you are into medival art and objects that is one not to miss.

Degas Jul 7th, 2003 06:00 AM

Hunting Museum (Musée de la Chasse)

60 rue des Archives, 3E in Hotel Guénégaud

Métro: Rambuteau or Hôtel de Ville

Monday closed. Open 1100 to 1800, Tues - Sun.

4.55E admission for adults.