Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SMALL HOTELS IN LONDON (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/small-hotels-in-london-213998/)

BARBARA May 5th, 2002 09:10 AM

SMALL HOTELS IN LONDON

WE WILL BE IN LONDON THE FIRST WEEK OF JUNE. WE WOULD LOVE TO STAY IN A SMALL ENGLISH (NOT AMERICAN) HOTEL CLOSE TO THE TOURISTS PLACES AND THE TUBE. THIS IS OUR FIRST TRIP ABROAD AND SORRY TO SAY WE ARE NOT VERY EXPIERENCED TRAVELERS. THERE ARE SOOO MANY GREAT PLACES TO STAY - BUT THE DIFFICULTY IS LOCATION. WHAT IS A GOOD, SAFE LOCATION FOR A TOURIST WHO IS CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING LOST, OR SPENDING MORE TIME TRAVELING "TO" THE TOURIST SIGHT THAN ACTUALLY "IN" IN THE TOURIST SIGHT. WE WOULD LOVE TO SPEND LESS THAN 80 POUNDS A NIGHT IF POSSIBLE. MY HOURS OF RESEARCH HAS COME UP WITH THE LINCOLN HOUSE, THE EURO HOTEL OR THE ARRAN HOTEL. THANKS FOR ANY HELP ANYONE CAN OFFER.

Lori May 5th, 2002 09:19 AM

Barbara, Please do not type all in caps, it is hard to read. Since we always rent an apartment I cannot advise you on hotels, but no matter where you stay you will be near some sights and not so near others. There is no one location that fits all so to speak. London (central London) is pretty safe (remember it is a large city, use street smarts), I've been dozens of times and have seen, or had, no troubles. Keep yourself alert tho, tourists are targets in all cities (even in US) because they frequently are not very alert to their surroundings.<BR><BR>Do plenty of research, get books from the library and research this forum. Tons of info out here.

michele May 5th, 2002 09:53 AM

Barbara,<BR>Try the Lime Tree Hotel in the Belgravia area. They have a website. Cozy spot, pleasant neighborhood, no elevator...<BR><BR>Lori is right about the caps and the search. Lots of info available

Duane May 5th, 2002 10:16 AM

Barbara,<BR><BR>Try the Hotel Barkston Gardens, a nice small, inexpensive, en suite, hotel, about 1/4 mile from the Earl's Court tube entrance. I've stayed there twice and would go back again.<BR><BR>Duane

elaine May 5th, 2002 10:19 AM

Hi Barbara<BR>If you buy a good guidebook<BR>(Fodor's for London is excellent,but each of us likes some and not others) you can narrow down what interests you.<BR>Most guidebooks also provide suggestions for itineraries of up to 5 days.<BR>Also, besides searching on this message board for London, elsewhere on this Fodor's website under Destinations there is some great info on London.<BR>Ditto timeout.com<BR>I only have some info on one of your hotels, the Arran HOuse (77-79 Gower St)<BR>My reliable book "Cheap Sleeps in London" says "outgoing and friendly staff...hall carpets need redoing...top-floor rooms have mismatched curtains...some showers resemble portable units found in capgrounds...Once past these negatives...the hall facilities (bathrooms) are clean...the lounge has been redone and so have some of the rooms...three stellar features...coin-operated laundry, a microwave oven with free use of a kitchen, and a rose garden with tables and chairs..."<BR>No elevator, front desk closes at 11pm.<BR>I temporarily brought to the top of the list on the left two previous threads on the Arran which have very positive comments, and also one on the Morgan hotel which is often praised here. If they've sunk down by the time you read this, just keep scrolling down on the left.<BR>If you do some more searches on those or other hotels you will find many past comments.<BR>I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR>good luck

Ben Haines May 5th, 2002 11:42 AM

Dear Ms Robbe<BR><BR>To the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching a note I keep on disc that gives the views of Fodors Forum readers on the hotels on Ebury Street, near Victoria. It goes on to list the Travellers Inn in Waterloo and the Royal Adelphi at Charing Cross, which I think is the best one for you, since it is central. Many tourist attractions are on the District underground line, and both Victoria and Embankment stations are on that line.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further -- perhaps not in block caps. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Shannon May 5th, 2002 01:01 PM

Barbara,<BR>For what you want, I think the best area to stay is right in the West End, near Oxford Street. In the early '80's, before I moved to London, I stayed at the Mostyn Hotel, which I believe was at the corner of Cumberland or Portman and Bryanston streets, just north of Oxford Street, just West of Selfridges Dept. store, and around the corner from the Marble Arch Tube station. Back then it was dirt cheap and pretty nice accommodations, but I remember they did a remodel so all the rooms would have bathrooms, so I suspect its gone up in price (but I think still within your price range). Right in that area you might also try checking out the prices of the Concorde (on Cumberland) and Bryanston Court (across the street). I think the Concorde is cheaper. These lodgings are all small English hotels, in a great location within easy, short walking distance of the shopping street (Oxford), Regent Street, Hyde Park, Carnaby Street, and all the other tourist places.

Barbara May 5th, 2002 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the great info. Sorry about the CAPITALS, I have to use them at work and I forgot that most people don't like them. Obviously I'm still learning.<BR>Elaine - thanks for the update on the Arran House, I think we'll pass but I would love to hear about your other London suggestions.<BR>Ben - thank you so much for the Ebury Street info. It soulnds like a great area.<BR>Right now I'm thinging about The Lime Tree Hotel and my husband is thinking about the Grosvenor Thistle. Tomorrow we're off to the travel bookstore.

Julie May 6th, 2002 05:24 AM

Also highly recommend the Royal Adelphi for price and location. Although I usually stay in the Bloomsbury area now, I would consider going back to the Royal Adelphi in a heartbeat. You might want to try www.smoothhound.co.uk as well for additional information.

michele May 6th, 2002 07:47 AM

Barbara,<BR>The Lime Tree books-up quickly; don't think too long.<BR><BR>If you do stay there, or anywhere on Ebury Street, try the Ebury Street Wine Bar for dinner. Excellent food--eclectic menu, also very popular with the locals.<BR><BR>Enjoy the trip,<BR>M.

Mel May 6th, 2002 12:57 PM

and Jenny Lo's for fabulous, big, hot steaming bowls of noodles, just around the corner!