Slovenia itinerary; Lodging at or near LJU (Ljubljana) Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2018, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slovenia itinerary; Lodging at or near LJU (Ljubljana) Airport

Hi, all,

I am traveling to Slovenia in mid-October. Two questions:

1) Do you have any recommendations for staying (ideally at) LJU airport or nearby? I have an early morning flight the next day.

2) How does this itinerary look? Any recommended lodging (up to $150-$175 per night is fine outside of Ljubljana).

Day 1 - arrive into LJU at night. Stay at Antiq Palace for 3 nights
Day 2 – Stay at Antiq Palace
Day 3 – stay at Antiq Palace.
Day 4 - Check out and get car at the airport (can we get car in town and would that make sense) Drive to Lake Bled late morning; overnight in Lake Bled on Day 4
Day 5 - overnight in Lake Bled [would you do two nights here or two in Bevecs?]
Day 6 – drive through Julian Alps, overnight in Bevecs [is one night enough? We either need to cut out one night here or one night at Lake Bled]
Days 7 and 8 – drive to Piran. Overnight in Piran two nights
Day 9 – Drive to Ljublajna – stay overnight at or near LJU airport to catch a morning flight to Istanbul

Thanks.

John

Last edited by jh6000; Jul 1st, 2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 05:14 PM
kja

The Ljubljana airport is half-way between Ljubljana and Bled. If you are returning your car there, either city could make sense, but you might want to rearrange your itinerary so your time in Bled is at the end of your stay.

Why would you not pick up a car in Ljubljana, if that's where you are when you are ready to use it?

Whether 2 nights in Bled makes sense for you depends on what, exactly, you want to do while there -- and none of us can answer that!

In Bled, I was very pleased with the Penzion Mayer. I have no idea if it would fit your budget -- you'll have to check.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I was hoping that I might just dump the car at LJU airport and overnight at an airport hotel. Looks like that option doesn't work/exist. Thanks for the feedback. I think it will make sense to end in Bled versus start in Bled (after LJU).

Thanks.

John H
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 06:24 PM
kja

That's what I did.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Will we have any issue driving through the Vrsic pass in the third week of October (say October 20 or 21)?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 07:25 PM
kja

I don't know the answer to that, but some other Fodorites might, and they might not see your question because the title of this thread isn't very specific -- which makes perfect sense, because your original question matched your title! If you haven't gotten an answer about the Vrsic pass in the next day or so, you might post a new thread with a much more specific title. And if you do, please wait at least a day -- many of us have full time jobs, and only check Fodor's once every day or two.

Last edited by kja; Jul 2nd, 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by jh6000
Will we have any issue driving through the Vrsic pass in the third week of October (say October 20 or 21)?
The Vrsic Pass stays open until the first big snow of the year, as I understand it. Obviously that varies year to year. I wouldn't worry about it now. Plan to drive it assuming no big snow yet by then - but this year, if they get early snow and it is closed, have a Plan B.