Notices

Slovenia Driving Trip with Kids

Jan 27th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Slovenia Driving Trip with Kids

We are thinking of a short road trip through Slovenia with our kids (5 and 7) this April. We are living in Munich so it's only 4-5 hours drive from here (I love that!). Here is what I have come up with. Any inputs on the sights I have narrowed it down to (ie am I missing anything huge?) or tips that would make it nice for the kids would be much appreciated! (BTW we are more into nature or kid-friendly culture than theme parks for the kids - figure we can do that in the US!). I really wanted to see Piran, but it looks like a beautiful town for adults, but nothing much for kids - ie no beach, which seemed cruel to do to the kids with the sea right there but nowhere to play! But, would you recommend Piran over Ljubljana for example? I think one larger town is enough...
Drive to Ljubljana, stopping off in Bled and enjoy the scenery, then see the town for a day
Drive to Štanjel, stopping off at Grad Predjama on the way, then see Štanjel for a day
Drive home
Thanks so much!
Apr 24th, 2011, 01:11 AM

if you are going to Bled check out Vintgar Gorge ( here are some pics form some blog: http://photo-ana.blogspot.com/2008/0...gar-gorge.html ) it is beautiful!

What about Postojna caves or Skocjan Caves? Otherwise i think you have a good itinerary. Regarding Piran, visit rather Salina Nature Park that is 10 minutes further from Piran torwards the border with Croatia. Regards from Slovenia.
May 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM

Slovenia is heaven for kids. Heaven! Bled and Vintgar Gorge are sure fire pleasers as is:
Bohinj
Ljubljana
Skocjan or Postojna Caves
Lipica
Soca River Valley
Logarska Dolina

We are Americans also and lived in Slovenia when my kids were ages 4 - 9. It is their favorite country in Europe. I would skip Piran and save the coast for another time, heading 1 hour south into Croatia.

Search this Thread