Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?

Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?

Jun 6th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Original Poster
Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?

Hello, I'm planning a trip with my family to Slovenia Austria Switzerland and Italy. We live in Bosnia so the trip would start from Slovenia. We would kindly ask if anyone has any ideas for a road trip through these countries? We are very interested in the country side with cute towns and beautiful scenery of mountains or lakes while on the road. So the idea is that we ride through the scenery so we can get a nice look on the amazing nature over there. It would last 8-10 days. If anyone has any idea of towns,places,roads,views, motels or any particular thing we should see on the road please feel free to suggest. Thanks a lot!!!
Jun 6th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Austria and Switzerland have special rules and fees for driving on their roads. Be sure you have paid the correct fees & are following the rules if you are going there, because they are very strict & make people pay a lot of money if they break the rules.
Jun 6th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I've driven in Slovenia. The drive from the town of Škofja Loka (near Ljubljana) is worth a stop, but the drive from there through the mountains up to Jamnik and down to Kropa (not through Kranj) is really scenic and beautiful. Obviously Lake Bled is pretty too, but I'm sure you're aware of it if you've never seen it.

The town of Radovljica (in that general area too) is also worth a stop. A bit further north, the town of Kamnik is lovely as well but small. NW of there is the Logarska Dolina, supposedly with breathtaking scenery but I've not yet made it up there.

Slovenia requires a vignette driving pass to drive on its highways, too.
Aug 20th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Sorry for pokey response. Just finalizing plans. Andrew, great suggestions for road trips. We plan to cycle both routes. Mappimop, very cool website. May not use for this trip, but will definitely reference for future trips.

Thanks to you both.

Search this Thread