Slight Change of Plans

Search

Slight Change of Plans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight Change of Plans

As sometimes happens when planning a trip, we will be replacing Scotland with Andalucia, Spain, for our 2020 summer vacation as some friends will be meeting us in Spain for about two weeks.

We will now be flying into Prague, spending a week (with side trips) then flying to Seville, where we will rent a car and drive through Andalucia, before flying to the Balearic Islands from Seville for a week of relaxation.

What we need advice on is how to split our time and what to see in this beautiful region of Spain. We have narrowed our choices to these places in Andalucia but we know we cannot see it all (or maybe we can?). Which would you choose and how many nights do we need in each (in alphabetical order):

- Cadiz
- Cordoba
- Granada
- Jerez de la Frontera
- Malaga
- Ronda
- Seville

If there are other places not mentioned, please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by ShadesOfGrey; Jan 4th, 2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 07:26 AM

I haven't been to Cadiz so can't comment on that except it and Jerez are not in the same direction as the others, so a bit tricky. Actually, I was in Jerez but only for one day and the weather was raining, so I didn't have a great experience.

I guess since you start and end in Seville, that limits you to
Seville-Jerez/Cadiz if you choose-Ronda-Malaga-Granada-Cordoba-Seville

I'd say 3 nights Seville, 1 Ronda, 2-3 Malaga or Cadiz, 2 Granada, 2 Cordoba. Then with the travel, that about takes up two weeks. I'd probably leave off Jerez, but not sure what your attraction is there. I was interested in that equestrian horse show they are famous for, and they do those year round. But you could easily change that up depending on your desires and interests, who knows. I think I was in Malaga in the Fall so weather was nice, but at least it's on the water so not as hot as Seville. I think Cadiz is just a bit cooler than Malaga since it's on the Atlantic. The idea of visiting popular Spanish beach resort towns in peak season leaves me cold, but that may be your goal. I know Cadiz has many summer abroad students in summer, also (Malaga may also, don't know, but I know Cadiz does). I would pick more nights in Seville normally but it could be 100F when you are there (35C), if you are talking July. I personally wouldn't even go there in summer, as much as I like it. Both Malaga and Cadiz will be better since they are on coasts. Granada isn't as hot as Seville.

You could dump the car in Cordoba and take the train back to Seville, up to you. You have two weeks so lots of time. Personally, I would not go to a lot of these places in summer (the entire area, I personally would not go to in summer due to heat). You do know how hot it is in southern Spain in summer?
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I meant Arcos de la Frontera, not Jerez de la Frontera. Sorry about that.

We do not mind the heat at all and it will force us to slow down and enjoy our time and travels. The brilliant sunshine and heat will just make this area even more appealing

Last edited by ShadesOfGrey; Jan 4th, 2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 11:54 AM
kja

The gems of Andalusia are Sevilla (I recommend 4 nights), Cordoba (2 nights), and Granada (3 nights). No car is needed for those 3 cities; instead, a car could be an impediment.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 02:28 PM

We have been to Spain several times, twice in July. I love hot weather too. We managed fine in Toledo and Segovia. In Madrid we did OK by doing museums in the morning, napping or resting in the afternoons and staying out very late for dinner. However, Seville and the area around Arcos de la Frontera was boiling! Too hot for sightseeing, we simply could not move during the afternoon. We did enjoy going out to eat very late, especially plazas where lots of families were out and enjoying each other’s company, but that is all we ended up doing!
I was in Granada in October and weather was getting chilly, and gardens pretty much gone, so maybe because of higher location, that would be OK in July. Coastal towns were OK in the evening, just for hanging out, but not much for sightseeing.
Based on my experiences (remember, I do like hot weather), I suggest you consider the incredibly interesting places near Madrid for a few days and further North; San Sebastián area.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 08:58 PM

It can be 40+ degrees during the day. You know how you personally deal with heat. While I don't mind I wouldn't want to be trapped in a car doing long drives. EVEN with the A/C on. A car full of people might just overwhelm the A/C.

Is this two weeks in the south? Or two weeks total in Spain?

Flying in and out of Seville?
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all of your responses and help. I do understand that the heat may be just too much for a car's AC, and we thought about taking trains between Seville, Cordoba and Granada, but a car would give us the flexibility to travel to other places as well. Also, the distances are not too far between them.

The two weeks is the total time in Spain and we are planning to fly in and out of Seville (plus a week in Prague and surrounding and a week relaxing at an island).
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Our friends just suggested Tenerife or Gran Canaria instead of Majorca/Menorca for our last week.

Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited by ShadesOfGrey; Jan 5th, 2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:10 AM

Many Spaniards fly to Gran Canaria in order to escape from the summer heat. Air and sewater in Canaria are usually in the lower twenties.Count 10 resp 5 degrees more for Formentera/Ibiza/Mallorca/Menorca.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:14 AM

I think you had it right in the first place, Majorca or Menorca or another suggestion would be Formentera.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 06:46 AM

I know many people have mentioned the heat factor already, but it does bear repeating. We were in Andalucia in mid-September to early October in 2017. Every place we visited was in the mid-80's, which is fine for sightseeing, but Seville was 90-95 every day. Seville was our last stop, so we were there from very late September to very early October. People who traveled to Andalucia during the summer wrote trip reports about being drenched in sweat after being outside for 10 minutes. They spent a lot of time at the hotel pool. I'd be worried about heat stroke.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

July and August are the only times we can travel for an extended period of time so we have no choice but to grin and bear it. We will do the best we can but not travelling to this region is not an option.

Hopefully, if we can mix in a few days in Cadiz and/or Malaga, it will help break up the hot days.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShadesOfGrey
July and August are the only times we can travel for an extended period of time so we have no choice but to grin and bear it. We will do the best we can but not travelling to this region is not an option.

Hopefully, if we can mix in a few days in Cadiz and/or Malaga, it will help break up the hot days.
Yes, definitely try to add a few days to Cadiz and/or Malaga. On the trip that I mentioned in my previous post, we did spend a few days in Malaga, and it had the coolest temps of every place we visited.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 10:03 AM

Rather than fly into and out of Seville, thus having to backtrack, can you not fly into Madrid and out of Malaga? Milti-city, not two one-way. Another option, Barcelona for three or four days, then fly to Granada and end in Seville, or fast train from Barcelona to Seville, then to Granada and end in Malaga.