Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sleeps: a ? for our British members (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sleeps-a-for-our-british-members-1076788/)

Underhill Oct 27th, 2015 09:14 AM

Sleeps: a ? for our British members

On the tripadvisor.com web site the term "sleeps" is commonly used, especially in the endless Disneyland forum. Is that a British term for nights?

willit Oct 27th, 2015 09:21 AM

Often used with young kids - It's only three more sleeps to your birthday.

Or bad jokes - Insomniacs, only three more sleeps to Christmas.

Mimar Oct 27th, 2015 09:50 AM

Or for a hotel room or apartment or house: the number of people who can sleep in the place.

Cathinjoetown Oct 27th, 2015 10:51 AM

sleeps (noun) = nights

sleeps (verb) 4 = rental/room has beds or bed space (double and two singles) for four

bilboburgler Oct 27th, 2015 10:56 AM

Raymond Chandler, the big.... ?

hetismij2 Oct 27th, 2015 11:19 AM

sleeps (noun) = infantilisation of the English language.
Fine with very young children but otherwise abhorrent.

Cathinjoetown Oct 27th, 2015 12:06 PM

True, H., I've only heard it used with children.

northie Oct 27th, 2015 02:27 PM

used in Australia too-59 sleeps till Father Xmas comes eg

Rubicund Oct 28th, 2015 01:36 AM

In the Trip Advisor context, they mean how many can stay in the apartment/room/house etc. Sleeps 4 would mean probably mean two doubles, or a double and 2 singles, or any combination with four places.

PatrickLondon Oct 28th, 2015 02:17 AM

But in the Disneyland context (and I have a feeling Disneyland Europe's TV adverts in the UK play on this), it may well simply mean the childish version "only three more sleeps till we see Mickey". It wouldn't be hard to tell which is meant - I rather think the OP is just asking for confirmation of the latter meaning.

northie Oct 28th, 2015 02:54 AM

As Patrick said!

Heimdall Oct 28th, 2015 03:04 AM

Rubicund shows the way accommodation in hotels and apartments is often advertised on TripAdvisor, but I don't think that is what the OP meant.

The term "sleeps" is also used as a countdown for the number of nights/days before the start of a holiday. It's not proper English, and I've only seen it used in that context by posters on TripAdvisor, usually those travelling to popular package holiday resorts. Like the term "eats", I find it annoying when used as a noun rather than a verb.

Havana128 Oct 28th, 2015 11:31 AM

Used by children or the kind of adult that attaches a small teddy bear to the zips on their back pack. It is not whimsical or cute, it is pathetic.

dotheboyshall Oct 28th, 2015 12:32 PM

Presumably people who use "luggages" are similar

bilboburgler Oct 28th, 2015 01:05 PM

or people who "trains" to Paris

NewbE Oct 28th, 2015 01:09 PM

How about people who "grumps" online?

Underhill Oct 28th, 2015 02:43 PM

There are too many nouns that have become verbs, such as "to train" for take the train. Especially on the trip advisor site!

welltraveledbrit Oct 28th, 2015 09:11 PM

Totally unfamiliar with the word in this context, "only three more sleeps till we see Mickey"
but then my parents never took me to Disneyland either!

Thelittlestkiwi Oct 28th, 2015 09:28 PM

Things I've often seen on here, and always wondered:

Limo service - does this just mean
a) a car and driver that you arrange to pick you up? Like a taxi/cab but pre-booked. Or does it mean
b) a large stretched vehicle with a driver in a cap? The kind that you see celebrities arriving at the Oscars?
I always imagine b), but assume it's probably a). I'd like to know...

CPAP - I had never heard of this until Fodors. I've googled...so now know, but these seem to be quite common in Fodors world?

Are these US things? North American things? Northern Hemisphere things? Or just things that I didn't know? :)

Havana128 Oct 28th, 2015 11:07 PM

CPAP

What?