Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleepinitaly's apt "Monserrato Attico"

1. The photos look splendid -- but some comments suggest a rather
slap-dash approach to maintenance. Any direct experience with this property?:
http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/ap...atoattico.html

{I found 2 reviews on Slowtrav, nothing on this forum.}

2. I've used sleepinitaly.com without problem.... but have read they sometimes switch you at the last minute, which would be utterly unacceptable to me. Any advice/ warnings/ horror stories, Fodorites?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM

No direct experience, but its location on the 4th floor (5th if they're counting in italian) with no lift will keep you fit.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM

No direct experience here, and it looks wonderful. The description reads "a very homely atmosphere" - and I curious what that means...

This is one of those typos that always makes me smile.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

1. Ah, you bring out the etymologist and pedant in me!

They likely meant to write "homey"... but "homely", in its old-fashioned sense of "homelike, familiar", is not wrong.

2. This property is also listed on Romeby.com with multiple reviews.

Of course, Romeby.com screens and perhaps censors the reviews. But I doubt they fabricate them: the compliments are genuine, presumably.

3. The stairs are a bit daunting, esp as I am a habitual forgetter of umbrellas, money etc who often must return home moments after setting out on an errand....
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Hello tedgale

While I have not stayed at that particular apartment, I have used sleepinitaly a couple times.

We experienced absolutely no problems; in fact, they were very quick at responding to ALL my questions before we left, and the gentleman we met at the appointed time was very courteous and thorough.

The two places we stayed at were exactly as represented on their website photos.

I would not hesitate to use them again.

Happy travels!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, tegale,

looks like a steal for an apartment in this area with a terrace. the phots certainly don't make me think "poor maintenance".

can i come too?

regards, ann
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I agree, the appearance is remarkable and I was therefore mystified by reviews on slowtrav.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Tedgale, I wouldn't place too much reliance on a reviewer who says the following:

"I don't know what apartment standards are for Rome but if this were [major American city] then I would say old and dark (hallways, stairways, etc). It just wasn't one of those bright, modern buildings that I like"

Good grief! If she wants "those bright, modern buildings", then central Rome is not the place for her.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Hi, No experience with this apartment, but I'm one of those "horor story" people. I rented an apartment from sleepinitaly and all seemed well until about a week before we were to leave.

I got an email saying that they had overbooked the apartment, and we were out. I don't know how the choice was made that we were the ones to go, but I suspect they were getting more money for the same apatment on another rental site.

The one we eventually got was awful and pretty much ruined our Rome trip. This was (and will be) my only experience with them. Others have nothing but praise for them. Who knows.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Add me to the list of those who will not deal with Sleep in Italy ever again. We were also "switched due to plumbing problems" on our honeymoon in September 2003 (Trastevere apartment).

We did not receive notice of any kind (despite SII's insistence that they sent an email) NOR did anyone meet us at our reserved apartment per the pre-arranged meeting time.

Needless to say, our experience in Rome was tainted due to SII's lack of service in our case.