Notices

sleeper train safe for female?

Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

sleeper train safe for female?

Hi!

I'm planning to travel from Freiburg, Germany to Carcassonne(near Toulouse), France on a sleeper train this June. I'm wondering if this is the best way to travel (or if I should just attempt to sleep in a reclining chair??) The ticket will be first class, but I'm told that I still need to share a room with three other people who may be females or males.

Are these rides safe in general? Do I need to worry about my luggage being stolen? Will I be able to sleep? Or should I break up the trip/take a flight/come up with some other option?

I appreciate any help. This will be my first time traveling in Europe (30 year old female).

Thanks!
Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM

I have gone solo on the night train several times from Munich to Amsterdam. I pay extra to get a single sleeper with a shower. I do not like sharing the 4 bed cabin. I wouldn't sleep a wink with 3 strangers in the cabin with me. As far as the reclining seat goes, that would worry me more. I have talked with people who had things stolen including the pouch worn around the neck.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM

There is no direct train from Freiburg to Carcassonne. Perhaps you are travelling from Freiburg via Strasbourg to Paris, then taking the night train to Toulouse. In France, night trains have couchette compartments but no sleeping cars. Couchettes are simpler berths: you get a blanket and pillow but sleep in your daytime clothes. There are four or six bunks in each compartment. I believe you can book a women-only compartment.
The compartments can be locked from the inside so are quite safe - much safer than a reclining seat.

Search this Thread