Notices

Sleep in the car in IR?

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleep in the car in IR?

Thought of renting a car in Galway and touring around the NW of IR, play a bit of golf for one week, early September. Had hoped to find low cost lodging but then i noted that the car rental shop (Budget) had station wagons on offer for one week.

So, thought i best check to learn if sleeping in the car, along the roadway, or in a small park, etc would be legal? Maybe even a caravan park would suit.

Any advice on this appreciated, thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 02:33 AM

You cannot camp on private property without the owners consent - and much of Ireland is privately owned. There are lots of sites which offer suggested wild camping spots, but they are aimed at tents and motorhomes/campers. It is tolerated in some places, not in others.
What would you do about cooking, drink, washing, a toilet? Peeing and pooping in public is disgusting and illegal. You would need to be sure to bury your output well away from water or public access areas or you would have to take it with you. Leave no trace is the rule for wildcamping. I can't imagine it would be comfortable sleeping in the avarage station wagon either, unless you are really short. You'd still need bedding anyway and where would you get that from? Daft to lug camping equipment with you.
Maybe rent a small motorhome if you dont want to stay in a hostel, hotel or B&B. Campsites are cheaper than those, but still not really cheap and the facilities can vary a lot!
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 02:52 AM

I think I'd go for the low-cost lodging. Sleeping in a car is not a vacation - it's for refugees, not golf players.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 07:10 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Car rental agencies are notorious for not having the model you reserved at the location you need it.

Old Feb 1st, 2020, 11:25 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
So you rent an estate (station wagon) and none are available and yo end up in an upgraded sporty 2 door and you are totally SOL. Stupid idea - sorry.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 01:53 PM

Firstly, when you reserve a car, you are not reserving a specific model, you are reserving a car group. Secondy, if a car within the car group is not available, you may receive an upgrade and yes you could be SOL. Has happened to us several times. most memorable and embarrassing experience was when we requested a station wagon and received a Toyota Hilux which was all that was available. Sleeping in a car is not a nice idea at all.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 01:59 PM

There are tons of BnBs in Ireland. You get breakfast and tea, plus meeting nice people.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:22 AM

I don't see any harm in doing it if you had a backup plan in case they didn't ahve that kind of car. Then no harm done (like a list of places you could stay that would likely have vacancies).

I don't know what a station wagon is, would that be a midsize SUV or an estate car or something? Sleeping in one shouldn't be a problem, those kind of cars (like a VW Golf which I expect it may be) have fold-down rear seats, lots of cars do nowadays. So you wouldn't have to be short. AS for the other issues of disgustingness, that's your project to figure out. I don't see why a place that allowed a caravan or camper wouldn't allow an estate car. You could even take a small tent with you, if you wanted.

like this place
Clifden Camping & Caravan Park

seems no problem to have a car, it is pretty cheap

Cooking would be the same problem if you were staying in a hotel, you'd go out to eat or buy something takeout.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:28 AM

Christina you couldn't sleep in a Golf Estate very comfortably. OP would still need bedding which they would have to get from somewhere. Many campsites do not allow sleeping in cars.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
"I don't know what a station wagon is"

Really??

I thought you lived in the States?

And you are wrong -- it very much would be a problem. Even IF the weather wasn't n issue.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Plz girls, no fighting. I'm 1.9 meters tall, so probably no common Irish car will do. I'll look into B&B or better yet, pubs.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 04:25 AM

Good idea.