sleep in Italy-Piazza Navona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost ready to book an apartment for our 5 day stay in Rome. Last minute hesitations! Has anyone stayed at Vicolo delle Vacche attico,near the Piazza Navona, around via della Vitrina?(sleep in Italy)www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_vaccheattico.html
It looks lovely, air conditioned, price is right. But...How do I know if it's quiet at night? Will this be an issue in the summer with air conditioning? And it says the deposit to be paid in cash. How do people generally do this. I can't go withdraw 1000euro from the ATm when I arrive. Any thoughts and advice for the newbie??
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM

I think you mean you have to pay the balance on arrival in cash, not the deposit? I do get 1000E or however much I need from an ATM when I get there. Ask your bank to raise your daily limit. If it's still not enough, open an account at a second bank and get the rest from that account. It's not a bad idea to have a second account anyway, in case your card is lost.

I don't have experience with that particular apartment, but it looks nice and is in a great location. I stayed on that street (might have been the same building) and didn't have a problem with noise, although my apartment on the ground floor was at the back.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I've stayed on this street too, although not that apartment. It is a really great location. We were bothered by some noise (there was a restaurant across the street that sometimes closed late and started to get set up early), but if you are in the back and/or further down the street (away from PN) then it should be fine, there were no noisy businesses towards that end of the street when we were there two years ago.
We bit the bullet and got Euros before we left.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I apologize, not deposit, I meant balance. I can bring it with me, but am uncomfortable doing so as I will be elsewhere in Europe for a week prior. I guess I'll need to deside if I want to switch to an agency that accepts credit cards, or if I want to use ATM after arrival in rome. I think I feel tense walking around with that amount of cash.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM

In addition to not wanting to carry that amount around for an extended time, you will pay a lot more to get the Euro ahead of time, especially on such a large amount. That's why I made the suggestion above.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Don't know anything about that hotel but I've never let loud, busy streets or piazzas keep me from staying in cool locations...earplugs and half a xanax work wonders!!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 03:45 AM

jonke- did you end up booking this apartment>?? Its one I'm considering as well for August.
Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I stayed in the Piazza Navona area but not the street you are talking about. Just a warning. My apartment was street side on a back alley. There was a small cafe (didn't get a lot of business) right below me. I never really heard any noise from the cafe but from 8 till about 4 in the morning I would have the occasional inebriated man or woman come down the road talking very loudly, singing...so forth. I actually had one guy outside my window singing the song Macarena at 2 in the morning...God I hate that song. A good set of comfy earplugs would have done the trick. I didn't remember I had a set from my flight until my last night there...man they would have come in handy!

As far as the ballance goes I ordered the Euro's before I left the states so I would have the amount needed when I got to Rome. I will say I did feel very uncomfortable carrying all that money on me though. Couldn't you get the money from a bank there before you get to your apartment?
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM

It is common in Rome to have to pay the balance of an apartment rental in cash. It is an absolute pain and I understand your feelings. The Romans are way behind the Parisians when it comes to apartments as in Paris you can usually pay by credit card. From a noise factor I would definitely be wary about the PN area. Like the Pantheon and Spanish Steps areas they are 24/7 tourist spots and in Rome, as in most big cities, where there are many restaurants there is noise. We had to leave an apartment in the Spanish Steps area after one night because of the noise factor from trattorias etc. Fortunately we were relocated to the Monte area near the Colloseum which might seem further from the action (actually it is a great area and easy to get to) but at least it was quiet and we could enjoy the wonders of Rome with out being too weary. Sleepinitaly has a good reputation and I would seek an assurance from them that you could be moved to an alternative apartment should the noise factor be too great.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM

I am staying with sleepinitaly rental for the second time. It is hard to find a place in italy that takes credit cards for the balance. My suggestion is to get Euro when you arrive (if you can get that much at one time) or get half before you go and the balance from a bank machine to avoid loosing more money paying bank fees. There are bank machines at the airport. If there are two going from the same family then take money from the two accounts so you can stay withiin your bank limit. Some bank machines have a limit in what you can take out at a time.

You should check on "slowtravel.com" under italy rental review section to see if anyone posted a review of the apartment. Also search thename of the apartment on the fodors search, if you haven't already.