Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skye-- hiring a guide when you have a rental car.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I research the more questions I have. Would it be worth it to hire a guide/driver for time in Skye even if you have your own rental car?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM

It's not Outer Mongolia.
A guidebook and map should be quite enough.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Skye should be pretty easy on your own. We had no problem finding things and learning things. We only scheduled two days there and I wish we had three. Next time I guess.

Bill
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You will have presumeably driven to Skye in the first place. So why would you need a driver after you are there? And if you want a tour guide - why rent a car? There is basically very little traffic on Skye.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Misha2,

My husband and I were just in Scotland for over 2 weeks. Loved it! We had a rental car and DH drove the whole time with no real big problems.

However.....by the time we got to Skye, our tip was about half over. And the road to Skye from Loch Ness took about an hour and a half, at least. Anyway, it was longer than we expected, plus it was cloudy out and it started to pour about 2/3's of the way there. We stopped about halfway at an inn with a restaurant and bar. We really needed a break. The road is fine but it is curvy and bumpy so DH had to concentrate 100 % on driving and didn't get to look around much and enjoy any scenery. He really needed a break.

Luckily, the clouds cleared a little the next day. But by that time, DH really was sick of driving and not being able to enjoy the scenery. the major roads on Sky are nice - single lane each way. But the road to the northern peninsula that goes by the Old Man of Storr is a sinle lane, where you have to watch for oncoming cars, and move over. And the roads are curvy so you don't always get to see what is coming at you. I think the road to the west coast town where you can take boats to view the Cuillins is also a single laner. (Not sure here.) Same for the road to the lighthouse we wanted to see.

Jim just was not up for that anymore. He needed a break. I wish we would have hired a daytime tour guide for us so we could have seen more, and enjoyed it more.

If you are younger, or if you are not driving an entire week before you get to Skye, perhaps you will enjoy buzzing around. Most of the driving on the island was just fine, except for those one laners.

It all depends on how your driver will feel at the time. And if he or she enjoys concentrating on the driving, vs. getting to enjoy the scenery.

We have driven in Germany, Ireland and France, all for 2 weeks so it isn't like we have never done a European driving trip before. But sometimes DH needs a break. We are in our early 50's.

Ginny

PS Just another point of view here.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I thought a guide would be helpful to get an insider view of things. If we had a big budget I would love to hire a driver/guide for the whole three-day road trip like we did in Costa Rica and Kerala it allowed us freedom and gave us great insight. However, with the cost of things being so much greater in Scotland...

I'm thinking about renting a car so that we can see things along the way -- even though I have to still figure out what and where.

I thought hiring a driver in Skye for a day would be a good compromise.

But perhaps, if we do I should take a train up and then just rent a car for our drive back down. I don't know what to do.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typos. I hit post before I could edit.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:39 PM

What are your plans, anyway? How many days will you be in Scotland and what is your itinerary? Maybe some of us can give you some more ideas.

Ginny
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you, thank you.

I will arrive in Edinburgh on a Saturday morning from the States. I leave the following Sunday afternoon from Edinburgh.

I have to be in Edinburgh until Wednesday -- because my husband has a conference. While there, I hope to see Edinburgh castle, the Scottish museum, Holyrood Palace and walk the Royal Mile. I am considering St. Andrews, Roslyn, and Stirling as day trips or on my way to drive to the next stop.

At this point I am absolutley unsure of what to to next. I'm leaning towards renting a car and going up towards Skye. But, I am really open to anything. I only know that I would love to see dramatic scenery. A palace or castle or great home (I forget where the Queen Mother's childhood home is), a whisky distiliery, and a place of historical significance.

Of course, that seems to cover just about any corner of Scotland.

Any suggestions? Should I focus on Skye or is it too touristy and rainy in September?

Should I take a scenic train ride up and drive down?

I can't believe that I have no idea about what I am going to do let alone where I will stay on my non-conference days.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I'm going to let the real Scottish experts here help with your itinerary and advise about whether whether Skye fits in well. There is dramatic scenery in much of the Highlands. I will, however, say that I was in Skye in September and it was glorious. The real joy of Skye is to trek off into the heather and highlands and enjoy the blissful solitude. I would not want a guide. You can see for miles and miles and miles in Skye -- all the way to the other islands! The paths are by and large well marked. The worst thing that might happen if you wander off-trail is your feet with get quite muddy!

When I was in Skye in September the traffic was not heavy, and driving was simple. It is NOT touristy -- at least not the part I was in. I went all the way to the top of Skey to Hotel Castel Duntulm. I rented a cottage up there, but they also have rooms to let. I'd take a walk in the morning, have lunch, and take a different walk in the afternoon. There are a few attractions (an authentic crofter's house, which i liked, and some distilleries, which didn't interest me) and lovely ruined castles. There are also boat rides you can take to other islands or to hidden coves.

But mainly one goes for the marvelous, invigorating walks and the clean air. My favorite thing was to talk a morning walk when it was still misty outside, and watch the mist rise, like smoke off the land, into the sky, revealing a grand landscape of craggy rocks and blue waters and finally blue sky.

I rented a car from Sutherlin' garage in Broadford. They picked me up at the station in the Kyle of Localsh.

Hope that helps.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM

misha2: You have posted three threads that have got you a LOT of really good advice. Maybe you just need to sit down and relax, take a deep breath, and have a glass of wine (or a wee dram).

Go back over your other threads, decide which things seem best to you and then come back w/ an itinerary and we can help you. You are just in overload mode right now . . . . .
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your patience Janis and others.

I did have a little wine, breathe deeply and stay up until the wee hours of the morn to come up with a tentative itinerary.

(In my defense, regarding the other threads I did find them really helpful in establishing that I would rent a car, add three nights to the end of my Edinburgh journey, avoid Loch Ness and Inverness, and go to Skye, among other things. I started new threads because I thought I read Sheila suggesting that somewhere. I do appreciate the other information tremendously.)

So.. Here goes

Day 1-4 Edinburgh (including day trip to Rosslyn and St. Andrews)
Day 5 -- Go to airport to rent car and head to Stirling Palace -- tour palace have lunch head towards Oban (stop en route?)I wonder if we could fit in a two hour cruise here-- Overnight in Oban area.
Day 6 -- head towards Kyle to take Bridge to Skye. Perhaps a stop in Plockton. Stay in Skye go to distillery (is it a good tour?),take a boat ride -- perhaps this is not neccesay if we take one off of Oban.
Day 7-- Skye-- see Cullins, walk or perhaps take a horseback ride -- Relax
Day 8 -- Depart from Skye and see Eileen Donan -- Suggestion for other stops on the way back or most beautiful drive? Overnight Edinburgh or Glasgow or somplace where I can easily get to an afternoon flight.

Day 9 -- Take flight from Edinburgh back home.

I would love any and all suggestions.

Am I doing to little? All the other tentative itineraries I have read have so many more stops. Please let me know what you think.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Oh - I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't have started this thread. I just meant you had got soooooo much information no wonder you were getting confused.

Your itinerary is doable and not bad at all.

Just a couple of quick comments - -

Don't count on getting to Oban in time for any sort of boat ride. Stirling Castle wll take at least 3 hours and you will find lots of interesting places to stop along the way. Kilchurn and Dunstaffnage castles are right on the route.

It isn't clear - do you mean St Andrews and Rosslyn on the SAME day trip? If so, they are in opposite directions from Edinburgh and not really doable as a day trip. If you meant two different days - that is fine.

Be sure to visit Glencoe - probably best on your way back from Skye.

No, you are not doing "too little". Some of those other itineraries you've seen on here are nearly insane. In fact your itinerary isn't slow at all - it is fairly packed for 4 days.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

I'm getting increasingly excited. I will manage my expectationa about making it to an island cruise in Oban.

Great idea to go through Glencoe on the way back.

Any suggestions on where to stay the last night?

Should I post my tentative itinerary as a new post?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Well you could start a new thread - but it really isn't necessary. If you do want to get more info I might add to http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34849580 instead of this thread. That thread just mentions "Scotland" in the title whereas this one specifically mentions hiring a guide/Skye.

What time is your flight out of EDI? That would have a big bearing on where to stay the night before.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

The flight out of Edinburgh leaves at 1:45.

Thanks for helping me.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Oh - with a flight that late you have lots of choices. You could stay in Linlithgow (the Palace ruins are fabulous), or Falkirk (the Falkirk Wheel is a wonder), or you could turn in the car and head back into central Edinburgh for the last night and take the airport bus to the airport the next day.

Or -- you could just wend your way back and just get a B&B anywhere w/i about 60 miles W or NW of Edinburgh. This is again in the Trossachs and is really lovely countryside and you'd only be about 50 - 90 minutes from EDI depending on where you stopped.

See, every question gets you even more to think about

Happy to help . . . .
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I've started sending out emails to assorted inns and hotels to ask about availability.

I'm starting to get excited now.

I really appreciate all the time you've put in to help me.

I may possibly be the most indecisive fodorite when it comes to Scotland.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM

misha2 - You had asked earlier about a distillery tour. As you probably know, Talisker is the only distillery on Skye. I was just there last month. Talisker is generally regarded as being one of the very best whiskies, and has quite a unique flavor profile - not nearly as peaty as the Islay malts, but much more assertive than the typical Highland or Speyside varieties.

But regarding the tour - Talisker is a smallish distillery and the tour is relatively brief even though they do take you through the whole place. The cost, as I recall, is five pounds and it includes a dram before the tour to get you in the right frame of mind. They take you through all parts of the operation, from mash tun to aging cellars. You climb up to the top of the fermenting barrels, where you can stick your head in one of them and see how things are going - at that point, prior to distillation, it's essentially a nice strong beer. Then it's off to the distilling room where you can see the two primary and three smaller secondary pot stills, then from there to the cellar and ultimately to the shop where they have some rare (and expensive) bottlings on sale. Our tour guide was quite knowledgable about how whisky is made in general and also about what distinguishes Talisker from others.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Flyfish,

Did you go to any other distillerys? Were you glad you went to this one? Where did you stay in Skye?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -