Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

sky marshalls for domestic flights, what about for international flights???

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Jose

I leave to Europe next month and would definately feel much more at ease if sky marshalls force is implemented on trans-atlantic flights. What do you think???

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:28 PM
John G

Should we have armed marshalls at our jobs?? You forget that most of the people killed in last week's tragedy were at their jobs when death came, not on a plane. Just thinking. JG

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Capo

It's my understanding that sky marshalls have been in use for quite some time on random international flights by U.S. carriers.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Lisa

Capo, are these sky marshalls uniformed???

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Andy

Sky Marshals will blend in with John Q.Public--you shouldn't even know who and where they are--

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:22 PM
dan woodlief

They were killed at their jobs by airplanes.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Patti

Dan, my heart goes out to you. Are you still undecided about your trip?
Why don't you just wait. Your daughter should come first.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:05 AM
Philip

Does anyone know what the criteria is for sky marshalls? CNN is giving information telling people how to apply. I don't want to be trapped on a plane with an unstable person carrying a gun.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:15 AM
Gretchen

I hope you aren't implying that sky marshals are unstable! Daughter trained at the facility where the marshals train--says they are really something. And you would never never know which is the marshal.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:27 AM
dan woodlief

Patti, I may wait until May, but I did plunk down a good amount of money for my tickets. Getting tickets out of Raleigh and into Venice was not cheap when I got them, so that at least matters some. I know I will highly regret it if all goes well with my flights and I am not on them.

In regards to marshals, I am sure they will be highly trained and competent people. I know several people who have gone through federal law enforcement training, and the programs are very thorough. If they check out the marshal candidates the way they check out other federal agents, there should be little room for mistakes. They do checks on your whole background, looking for any signs of mental problems, health problems, etc. They interview several people who know you and check every single aspect of your history. I have a feeling many marshals will be former police officers and soldiers.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 06:09 AM
ron

You can find the job poster here:
http://jobforms.faa.gov/civil_aviation_security.htm

It mentions international travel as one of the perks.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 08:17 AM
espy

sky marshalls will be in EVERY domestic and international flight???If is so, I will feel much, much safer!!! I hope so.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 11:01 AM
to the top

to the top!!!