Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skip Munich and Baden Baden to go to Lugano and Lauterbrunnen? Fussing with my itinerary again and feedback appreciated.

Skip Munich and Baden Baden to go to Lugano and Lauterbrunnen? Fussing with my itinerary again and feedback appreciated.

Dec 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

I'm still fussing with my itinerary to Germany/Switzerland/Netherlands and I can't get the idea of going to Lugano/Bellagio out of my head but it means then that we will skip Munich and Baden Baden and include Lugano/Bellagio, Lauterbrunne and Strasburg instead as follows:
Friday - fly into Frankfurt, rent car and drive to Rothenburg
Saturday - drive the Romantic Road to Fussen
Sunday - tour castles
Monday - drive to Lugano/Bellagio (4 hours)
Tuesday - Lugano/Bellagio
Wednesday - Lugano/Bellagio
Thursday - drive to Lauterbrunnen (3 hours)
Friday - Lauterbrunnen
Saturday - drive to Strasburg (3 hours)
Sunday - tour Strasburg or continue on to Brugge and save a day for Amsterdam/Cochem
Monday - drive to Brugges (5 hours)
Tuesday - tour Brugge
Wednesday - drive to Amsterdam (2.5 hours)
Thursday - Amsterdam
Friday - Amsterdam
Saturday - drive to Cochem (3 hours)
Sunday - Rhine cruise, Burg Eltz
Monday - return to Frankfurt for flight home(2 hours)
We must fly in and out of Frankfurt and we really want to include Amsterdam and Brugge. What do you think?
Dec 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM

You realize, Lugano is in Switzerland and Bellagio is in Italy. Lugano is reachable by taking the ferry from Bellagio to Menaggio and then driving (or bussing) to Lugano. Or vice versa. But I prefer Bellagio as a base.

You don't need to stay in -- or even go to -- the town of Fussen to visit the 2 Ludwig castles. You can stay in Schwangau at the foot of the two hills holding Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. In the morning go to Neuschwanstein the first thing, then Hohenschwangau and maybe get a start on your drive to Italy/Switzerland instead of staying 2 nights.

Also plan to spend a little time enjoying the Mosel River, which we preferred to the Rhine. (Cochem is on the Mosel.)

Finally, it seems like you're doing a awful lot of driving.
Dec 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM

I think if you have to do Amsterdam and Brugge, then skip something else cause this itinerary is very ambitious, even by my standards! Not that it can't be done, but you really aren't giving yourself enough time to really enjoy any of the areas you are driving through.
Dec 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM

Yep. That's a lot of driving in what looks to be 16 days including arriving and departing days. Too much for my liking, but it's your vacation, not mine.

Personally, with the ground you're trying to cover, I think you should skip Lugano/Bellagio and Lauterbrunnen on this trip. This will allow you to SLOW DOWN and spend more time in your destination cities than driving to them.
Dec 21st, 2005, 07:03 PM

I agree with BettyK. Why are you doing so much driving and spending so little time seeing what you drive so long to reach?

The whole plan hits me as fury in motion without much reward for doing it.

Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM

Just to avoid confusion--it's the little village of Hohenschwangau that is right at the foot of the hills on which Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles are located. Schwangau is 2 or 3 klicks down the road.

If you stay in Hohenschwangau, you can easily walk to the ticket center and transportation to the castles (or walk to the castles). If you stay in Schwangau, it's a bit of a hike to the ticket center and castle trails/roads.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 04:43 AM

Have you ranked your stops according to how much they tug at your heart? For me, it would be easy to eliminate Amsterdam in favor of Munich. (An added benefit would be that you could spend the morning in Rothenburg before moving on to Munich.) Though I love Alsace, I'd try to tough out the drive all the way to Brugge to add a night to Cochem. Good luck. Many years ago I followed an itinerary a bit like yours when I traveled with friends who loved to drive, drive, drive. But even then, we didn't do one-night stops. J.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 08:46 AM

You know you can save some of it for "next time".
Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Just as I suspected it does look like we'll spend more time in the car then in our destinations. I guess this is what I needed to hear. Now I just have to pare it down somehow. I'll post another draft then. Thanks again.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM

Well since you're open to tinkering, I've just noticed that you did have two nights in Cochem already. So I'll change my recommendation to leave out the stop in Alsace, though I'd stop in Obernai or another of the wine villages. Try the onion pie. Brugge is wonderful. All these choices are very personal, but I'd still drop Amsterdam and save it for another time. J.