Skiing in Tignes Nov. 25-Dec. 1??

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiing in Tignes Nov. 25-Dec. 1??

Does anyone have any experience with Tignes in late November, early December? We are hoping for more than the glacier to be skiiable.

We're very open to other suggestions that would be appropriate for skiing in Europe at this time of year.

Thanks!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:09 AM

I think glacier skiing is the only type you can really depend upon at that time of year; however, you might be lucky and get snow in the higher altitudes (and latitudes) elsewhere. After we had a family ski vacation in the Hautes Alpes in 2000, I've been casually following the snow trends in European ski areas online, and it is so variable. Couple of years ago, the southern Alps in France and Italy had earlier and better snow than the more northerly ski domaines. Nov,-Dec. is iffy anywhere, though.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:51 AM

my advice is to keep your options open if you're really keen and plan on driving to the snow wherever you fly into. Hotels should be no problem that time of year in towns near the resorts-though hotels actually in the resorts may be limited until Christmas. A few years ago I booked flights into Geneva for the first week in December and made my decision exactly where to go based on the snow conditions a few days before I flew out. It ended up being Flaine on that trip.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, We're now considering flying into Geneva and doing as Chris suggested. I'm probably hoping for the impossible...

Any other experiences skiing at this time of year?
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 08:46 PM

I forgot to add Zermatt into the list. Usually somewhat reasonable conditions early in the season, though the Espace Killy is my preference.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:52 PM

What a coincidence! I have been working on this same issue for the past two weeks. I want to teach my girls (ages 11 & 13) to ski between Nov 26 - Nov. 28. After much work, I have narrowed it to Saas-Fe Switzerland, Tignes, France and Cervinia, Italy. It appears that all are sites of glaciers so they will certainly be open. Davos says they would teach my daughters on the upper slopes which open today. Not the best place to teach beginners.- I look forward to any other ideas from other readers. How very frustrating! 4 days from the openng date for almost all of the resorts.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:16 AM

A great place to check conditions is http://www.snow-forecast.com/ It's been a cold and wet Autumn in the Alps, so snow is starting to pile up in the high altitudes. Val Thorens is opening early.