Our Trip of A Lifetime
March 12, 2014, we started our great adventure. My girls and I flew directly from Dulles International to Zurich, Switzerland. I was so excited to finally be able to take my girls to Europe to ski, shop, see museums, picturesque landscapes, and to introduce them to other people and their cultures. Our trip turned out to be everything I ever wanted for them and even more.
March 13th-18th Saas Fee, Switzerland
From Zurich we took a train to Visp and then a bus to Saas Fee. Saas-Fee is a snow sure high alpine ski resort with a classic European feel. A highlight of the ski area is certainly the funicular railway through the inside of the mountain to the highest lift station in Europe at 3,500 metres.
The village is beautiful and romantic yet the stores carry the latest fashions and trends. We stayed at the hotel Allalin, a family owned business. They couldn't have been any nicer, helpful, or more welcoming. Their food was also delicious.
Other highlights included nighttime snow shoe hiking up the mountains in Saas Fee, as well as, our day trip to Zermatt. There we took the Gornergrat up the mountain to an altitude of 3089 metres. The magnificent panorama of the Matterhorn was breathtaking. (photo included of my 2 older girls)
March 18-21 Paris, France
After arriving at the Paris Gare de Lyon Station, our driver drove us to the majestic, Le Meurice. We had a magnificent sitting room connecting our 2 beautifully decorated bedrooms. Our view overlooking the Tuileries Garden was unbelievable.
Our first evening in Paris was spent with a private tour guide of the Eiffel Tower. The bright lights of the city is certainly spectacular. The next day our guide showed us Paris' Highlights, as well as, the city's charming districts. That evening we were truly entertained at the Moulin Rouge. Afterwards we enjoyed some delicious crepes.
Our next day in Paris began with an Epicurian Walking Tour. Starting with a 60 year old fromagerie, then to an award winning boulangerie, we finally finished our tour in a master chocolate artisan's boutique. All along the way, we discovered all there is to know about these trades. Their discipline and hardworking attitudes was very impressive and important for my girls to see.
After a full morning of sampling cheeses, breads, and chocolates, our driver took us to the Palace of Versailles for a picnic lunch in the stunning gardens. That evening we enjoyed our boat ride along the Seine watching the romance of the city. All of the sweet couples and their wine was adorable.
Our last morning in Paris was spent with Renoir, Monet, Cassatt, Seurat, Degas, as well as, countless other masters at the Musée de l'Orangerie and the Musee d'Orsay. Each of my girls picked out their favorite artist and brought home a copy of their work to hang in their bedroom.
March 21-24 London, UK
After taking the Eurostar to London, our driver brought us to the chic and trendy, St Martins Lane hotel. Our first evening was spent at Her Majesty's Theater watching the Phantom of the Opera and the next evening we were enchanted with Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre. Matilda is a must-see for everyone!! Of course we bought the soundtrack. It's so good!!
Our 3 days were spent viewing London's classics, the markets, (antique, vintage, and trendy), and of course, London's shopping! While my girls thoroughly enjoyed their personal shopper at the Top Shop, I enjoyed my champagne and alone time strolling along Bond Street. I even bought myself a treat.
Finally, March 24th arrived and it was time to go home. Sadly, we took the plane from Heathrow back to Dulles International.
My girls and I will never forget our most special and perfect 'spring break' in Europe.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 2 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 3 Poland--where else to go
- 4 5 days in Andalusia
- 5 First time in Spain - family of 2 adults & one child(10 yr old)
- 6 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 7 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 8 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 9 Shall we Gdansk?
- 10 Malaga Christmas lights
- 11 Help with Spain itinerary
- 12 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 13 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 14 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 15 Planning a Poland itinerary
- 16 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 17 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 18 Good base for visiting Le Marche region
- 19 South of France
- 20 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 21 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 22 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 23 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 24 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 25 Spain December/ January 2018/19
Skiing in Switzerland, Museums in Paris, & Shopping in London
Our Trip of A Lifetime