Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SKIING IN SWITZERLAND (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/skiing-in-switzerland-20693/)

Matt Goldberg Jan 20th, 1998 06:30 PM

SKIING IN SWITZERLAND

My friend and I are planning a one week trip from the US to Switzerland to
go skiing...We have investigated Zermatt, St. Moritz, Gstaad, Interlaken,
Saas-Fee, Cervinia (Italy), and even St. Anton and Innsbruck in Austria,
but we just don't know which one is right! We are looking for some great
skiing (not terribly hard double black diamonds), not too expensive (we're
college guys)...Which resort has the best skiing? Which is most
conveniently located? Which has the best apres-ski? the best hotels,
restaurants, etc....Please write back with any comments, stories,
suggestions, or any help you can provide!

Donna Jan 20th, 1998 08:06 PM

From what I understand (not a skier myself), this is extraordinarily expensive at the resorts you mention, or anywhere in Switzerland. You may wish to consider Leichtenstein, or more specifically, Treisenburg (perched halfway up a very tall mountain), which is a "suburb" of Switzerland but every bit as scenic. The hotels there are downright cheap, by comparison, and the nightlife is very lively. We traveled all over eastern Switzerland and Leichtenstein. While Treisenburg is not what I'd described as where those who can afford "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" would go, it's every bit as wonderful for skiing.

Rosemary Jan 20th, 1998 11:12 PM

Well, those destinations are certainly fabulous, and also fabulously expensive. I'm a skiing "fanatic" and agree with the recommendation that you head for Treisenburg. I've been there (and everywhere else in Europe) - and, it is spectacular (AND economical). You'll have a fabulous time.

brandi Jan 22nd, 1998 06:50 AM

I'm in your shoes, Matt. I, too, am planning a skiing trip to Switzerland in December/January 99 & was having trouble deciding: Innsbruck, Zermatt, St. Moritz, Verbier...& like yourselves, am also a full time college student with a full time job.

Without sounding commercialized (& I'm in no way affiliated with the upcoming URL) you can get a fabulous one week ski package in Zermatt & Innsbruck without spending over $1,000. Check out: HTTP://WWW.SKI-EUROPE.COM -- a most excellently recommended site for skiers. Pan down to the SPECIALS (in the text area) for rates: Innsbruck --NYC: $699; LAX: $949. Zermatt -- NYC: $799; LAX $949 Other airports are in between these prices, which include 7 nites hotel, tourist class RT air, half board (euro speak for breakfast/dinner), rental car & all euro taxes and charges.

here's to skiing!

mark Jan 23rd, 1998 06:36 AM

I've skied Europe the past 5 years and found that Austria and Italy are cheaper than Colorado. Yes, Switzerland is very expensive but I think most Americans just don't research enough about skiing overseas. If you're looking for the best combination of good skiing, great apres ski, real European ambiance at a fairly economical price, I strongly reccommend St. Anton, Austria. I also just returned from a week in Val Gardena, Italy. Although the night life is fairly tame, the skiing is superb and very affordable. I haven't been, but you might want to check Cervinia and Courmayer. Another area in Austria is Zell Am See near Salzburg. For reservations, try [email protected]. THis is a UK operation (called SkiDirect) that can arrange a hotel or chalet, with b'fast and dinner included for whatever your price range. Also, by using SkiDirect, you automatically get 15%25 off. E-mail me direct for more info on the ski resorts.