Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Skiathos to Evia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/skiathos-to-evia-703457/)

senji May 8th, 2007 07:03 AM

Skiathos to Evia

We are trying to get from Skiathos to Evia on the 7th of June but can't seem to find any way to do it. Does anyone know how we can do this?

Thanks!

Gaspard May 9th, 2007 10:22 PM

When?
H.

Heimdall May 9th, 2007 10:59 PM

And what part of Evia? You will probably have to take a hydrofoil or ferry to Agios Konstantinos or Volos, then make your way overland to a port with connections to Evia. My copy of Greek Island Hopping shows the Skiathos-Ag Konstantinos hydrofoil stopping at Pefki (on Evia), but gtp.gr showed no results when I did a search for 7 Jun.

thanos_GR May 10th, 2007 01:58 AM

Kaliméra Heimdall

I read here many times about this book Greek Island Hopping. Do you find it accurate? I have never seen book but this mornign I find a webiste for it.

I recognise so many of our ships they give bad news about. All is true.

thanos

Heimdall May 10th, 2007 02:24 AM

Kalimera, Thanos.

Greek Island Hopping is the most useful guidebook I have found yet. It has a good description of each island, showing things to see, hotels, restaurants, etc, just as Lonely Planet, Rough Guides and other guidebooks do.

Where it differs from other guidebooks is: it explains the Greek ferry network, has maps showing various ferry routes, and descriptions of individual ferries, including which ones to avoid. The timetables in Greek Island Hopping are only good for rough planning, though. They show high season sailings, and obviously won't show current year timetables, since the book is published before the new timetables come out.

I find the book especially useful in the winter when none of the ferry websites are showing next summer's schedule yet. I wouldn't use it to make any firm hotel bookings, just as a general guide until the ferry companies publish their actual timetables in the spring. Then I go on the internet to get more up to date information. Sometimes I check the internet edition of Kathimerini (http://tinyurl.com/y9jpjv) for current day's departures from Piraeus and Rafini.

Two weeks from today I will be in Greece. All the best to you.

Heimdall

travelerjan May 10th, 2007 04:55 AM

Me too, Heimdall! Taking off on May 16, not back until June 8... wish it were longer. We'll be in West Crete, Thira (alas but just for 36 hours), Naxos, then Nafplio area & Athens. I then go solo to Kea.

Where do you wander? Sorry to hijack this topic but couldn't resist.

Gaspard May 10th, 2007 06:28 AM

The last two years there was a tourist boat ("Apollon")sailing daily from Pevki to Skyathos during the season. This year we will see. Otherwise Skiathos-Agios Konstantinos and to an another port on the mainland and to Evia.
H.

Heimdall May 10th, 2007 10:27 AM

Travelerjan, I will be in Greece 24 May - 16 Jun. Never one to overplan, all I know for sure is I will be flying from Athens to Santorini on the 24th, and flying back to Athens from Naxos on the 16th. Will spend 2-3 days on Thira, then probably Folegandros for a few days. May stop off at Milos or Sifnos on the way to Antiparos. The bulk of my holiday will be on Antiparos before moving on to Naxos for the end of the trip.

I will be looking up brotherleelove when I get to Santorini. The three things I avoid when in Greece are cars, television, and computers. Who's going to be answering questions on Greece while we are all on the islands?

thanos_GR May 10th, 2007 11:31 AM

Thank you Heimdall

The book sounds intresting. I enjoyed the website also. They are very honest about some of the ships and they are accurate for what they say.

In spring of last year one man I saw fall from back of car unloading area into sea from an older car ferry. He was saved but sadly some are not so lucky. It is very bad practice but the way our ports are constructed it sometimes the only way to leave a ship.

I hope you and travelerjan enjoy your times in our ciuntry soon. To you both, if you do think you come to Mykonos then email me and join my family for dinner. My address is:

[email protected]

If I do not reply immediately it is because we will be in athens with our baby for hospital clinic visit once again but I will reply as soon as we get home.

thanos