Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ski Group is voting this year on going to Davos/Klosters: Any thoughts about this area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ski-group-is-voting-this-year-on-going-to-davos-klosters-any-thoughts-about-this-area-218079/)

John May 9th, 2002 05:17 AM

Ski Group is voting this year on going to Davos/Klosters: Any thoughts about this area?

Hi:<BR>Group is made up of 40-50 yrs old. Like to ski and like to eat! How does this resort hold up?<BR><BR>JOHN

John May 12th, 2002 07:13 AM

c'mon! How about you "I love Switzerland" group! Any Ideas?<BR>JOHN

Ingo May 12th, 2002 09:27 AM

Hi John,<BR><BR>I am sorry for the delay.<BR><BR>I see you did a research on Fodor’s and found the “Lovers of Switzerland” thread. I am afraid most of us do not ski – I do.<BR><BR>I was skiing in Davos a couple of years ago. It is definitely one of the best resorts in Europe. Very snow reliable. They have 6 separated areas for skiing. Parsenn/Weissfluh/Gotschna is famous with perfect slopes, but sometimes crowded. Rinerhorn is a few km away (buses and trains frequently running) – not crowded, very good for off-piste, too. Jakobshorn is occupied by Snowboarders, but skiing is also good there.<BR><BR>Davos is overbuilt with lots of hotels and apartment buildings. The main street is lively and noisy. If you are looking for a beautiful village you should better choose Klosters as your base. Both Davos and Klosters have good hotels and restaurants.<BR><BR>Unfortunately your request is not very detailed, so it is difficult for me to reply.<BR><BR>By the way, my favourite place for skiing is the Engadine valley. More scenic, picturesque villages, better food.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>

Wayne May 12th, 2002 10:13 AM

If you can choose only between Davos and Klosters, so be it. But given my choice for skiing in that general area, I would go to Arosa. Have a good trip.

John May 13th, 2002 04:22 AM

Thanks Ingo and Wayne!<BR><BR>Ingo: We are booking in Klosters. The two properties are between "the Rustico" and the "Steinbock" Are you familiar with these? I know this is an expensive area, but we seem to be able to keep it reasonable by using the hotels "ski weeks". Thank you for the details on skiing!!<BR><BR>Wayne: Do you mean Aosta? We skied Courmyeur in 1999 Beautiful area. We try and find a different area every year. Davos/KLosters has always seemed too...well.."Ritzy", for my tastes!, although I heard the same about Lech, and Lech was wonderful!!<BR><BR>JOHN

Ingo May 13th, 2002 10:29 AM

John: Sorry, I am not familiar with Rustico and Steinbock. But I had a look at their websites and my brochure from the Klosters Tourist Office. Steinbock would be my choice. It is closer to the railway and cable car (Gotschna) stations. Both Steinbock and Rustico are right on the noisy main street (road to Davos). So I highly recommend to book the rooms to the south at Steinbock, because they are quiet (away from the street).<BR><BR>Let me give you some additional recommendations on skiing: It was new the past winter season that the standard ski pass did not include the Rhaetian railway. So, if you want to take the famous Parsenn run down to Kueblis you have to pay a surcharge for the train back to Klosters. You better take the runs down to Klosters or Serneus (local bus is included).<BR><BR>For good food in the skiing areas I recommend Gasthaus (mountain inn) Schifer, on the “home run” from Parsenn to Serneus and the mountain restaurant “Strelapass” in the skiing area Schatzalp/Strela.<BR><BR>The Madrisa skiing area on the other side of valley (gondola from Klosters Dorf) is very sunny and offers good slopes, but unfortunately has no chair-lifts – only t-bars.<BR><BR>Maybe it is interesting for you that the Rhaetian Railways offer are good deal to explore other ski resorts: You have to pay the price for the ski pass (St. Moritz or Scuol for example) and they take you to the ski resort and back by train for a surcharge of only 1 Sfr. And if the weather should be too bad for skiing I suggest a day trip to the spa in Scuol (reduced fares if you purchase the package spa + train at the railway station).<BR><BR>Wayne meant Arosa, not Aosta. Arosa is a small ski resort near Davos. You can see it from the Weissfluhjoch mountain.<BR><BR>Davos/Klosters is in my opinion not “Ritzy”. I guess you will find Klosters to be similar to Lech. Davos is more lively and more a town than a village.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>

JOhn May 13th, 2002 05:10 PM

Thanks Ingo! That is great ski information. One more question. How good is the bus system between Davos and Klosters? I would like to sample the Davos "nightlife", but I will be arriving to Klosters by rail<BR><BR>Once again, thanks for taking the time to respond, this is why this site is so great!<BR>JOHN

Ingo May 14th, 2002 10:13 AM

John,<BR><BR>I had a look at the www.sbb.ch website, because I did not know about it. The latest bus leaves Davos approx. 23:45. I was surprised that there is a bus, because the Rhaetian railway manages the public transportation between Klosters and Davos. I am afraid you will have a problem to explore the nightlife in Davos.<BR><BR>Ingo

John May 17th, 2002 10:05 AM

Thanks INgo:<BR><BR>Looks like I will have to ski home!<BR><BR>Thanks for all the good info<BR>JOHN