skateboard parks in France?

Sep 13th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

skateboard parks in France?

I know it sounds silly to some, but this 40 year old mom is heading to France in October and packing HER skateboards. Does anyone have any clue about skateparks in france (paris particularly)? I'm having a hard time locating any. Thx!
Sep 13th, 2003, 08:26 PM

I sure don't do this, but I think the major skatepark in Paris is the one down at the bottom of the 15th arr. near Aquaboulevard. It's in the sport complex called Suzanne Lenglen which should be on your Paris map, if you have a good one. Balard is the closest metro stop and it's between Aquaboulevard and the heliport. Here's one photo of it I found:
http://weeboo.online.fr/paris-skateb...nnelenglen.htm

Here's a general list of what appears to be registered skateparks in France:
http://sk8boardsite.free.fr/anuaire_des_spots/index.php
Sep 14th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Intrepid

Personally, I think anyone who does anything to encourage the use of skateboards in any city ought to be shot!

Sep 14th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Intrepid, then it's a good thing skateboardmom asked about SKATEPARKS, instead of sidewalks and side streets, now isn't it?

Have a great trip, skateboardmom. And make sure to wear all your safety gear!
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:32 AM

actually, Brimham, it appears that was aimed at me and Intrepid thinks I should be shot for giving the name of a skatepark in Paris.

I didn't express my opinions on this, even though to be honest... well, okay, I won't be, but I was just giving the facts. Much better to be off the streets IMO, and I do believe the current major Delanoe has tried to crackdown on the unauthorized skateboarding around the city, which is why I did not name public areas where I know some kids do this even though it is not really allowed.
Sep 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM

In a related article, police on skates (sans board) in the City of Light...

September 12, 2003, Paris Journal: "A Thin Blue Line Rolls Where Peugeots Roam"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/12/in...pe/12PARI.html

PARIS, Sept. 11 ? They roll faster than a speeding scooter, they jump curbs in a single bound. Regarde, crossing the boulevard! It's an errant hockey player, it's an office messenger on wheels, it's the French in-line skating police!

Sgt. Gérard Lucero, 43, streaks through Latin Quarter traffic and cuts a tight but elegant circle to stop short beside his colleague, Eddy Sargis, who is standing with one leg cocked forward on the rear wheel of his skate, toes pointed skyward. The two are part of Paris's roller brigade, 38 ball-bearing mounted cops who zip about hunting for lawbreakers while delighting tourists and titillating young Parisiennes.

"It attracts the eye," Officer Sargis said with a wry smile.

Sep 14th, 2003, 10:33 AM

This is not skateboarding, but you seem to be the sportive type who might be interested -- there is an article in nytimes.com travel section today about tours of Paris using the Segway scooter. 4 hours in duration booked thru Mike's Bike Rentals -- looks like fun!(free registration may be required to view the article)

For my clarification, being new here, is it kosher to cut/paste articles like the above poster? Reading thru Fodors' "subscriber's agreement" at the bottom of this page and the "copyright 2003" link at the bottom of nytimes.com pages it is my understanding that it is not allowed.
Sep 14th, 2003, 11:46 AM

I've never seen any Fodorites get in trouble for copying and pasting, but maybe it's happened and I don't know about it. Entirely possible.

It seems that it has always been acceptable to copy and paste on here, as long as proper credit is given to the person/website the information comes from.
Sep 14th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Blake, a fair question. My recollection may very well be wrong but I seem to recall Fodors editors clarifying here a few times that while cutting & pasting an entire article is verboten, cutting & pasting a brief excerpt or two is not.

In addition, although I did not find the relevant part of U.S. copyright law itself, here's another excerpt -- about excerpts -- from a website I just found...

http://users.etown.edu/g/gillistl/com311/quotatts.html

The reason that you can quote small excerpts from an article has nothing to do with magazines and newspapers being "public." It has to do with provisions in the U.S. Copyright law that specifically allow such excerpts. Minimal quoting in order to comment on or illustrate another document is called "fair use." The question you need to ask is, will your quotes exceed the limits of fair use? If they will, you must obtain the permission of the authors. Otherwise, you will be violating copyright law -- a federal offense.